the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #622 - אָסַף
1) to gather, receive, remove, gather in
1a1) to gather, collect
1a2) to gather (an individual into company of others)
1a3) to bring up the rear
1a4) to gather and take away, remove, withdraw
1b1) to assemble, be gathered
1b2) (passive of Qal 1a2)
1b2a) to be gathered to one’s fathers
1b2b) to be brought in or into (association with others)
1b3) (passive of Qal 1a4)
1b3a) to be taken away, removed, perish
1c1) to gather (harvest)
1c2) to take in, receive into
1c3) rearguard, rearward (substantive)
1d) (Pual) to be gathered
1e) (Hithpael) to gather oneself or themselves
1339) px (ספ SP) AC: Gather CO: Lip AB: ?: The pictograph x is a picture of a thorn representing a turning, the p is a picture of a mouth. Combined these mean "turning mouth". The rim, or lips of the bowl, which circle around it. The bowl is used for gathering things together and for eating.
Nf1) epx (ספה SPH) - Lip: The lip or edge of something. Also language as spoken from the lips. [df: hpV tpV] KJV (176): lip, bank, brim, edge, language, speech, shore, brink, border, prating, vain - Strongs: H8193 (שֶׂפֶת)
Nm) pfx (סופ SWP) - I. Reed:He plants that grow at the edge, or lip, of a river or pond. II. Edge:[Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (38): flags, weeds, end, conclusion, hind - Strongs: H5488 (סוּף), H5490 (סוֹף), H5491 (סוֹף)
V) pxi (יספ YSP) - Add: [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (44): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hophal) more, again, add, increase, also, exceed, put, further, henceforth, can, continue, give - Strongs: H3254 (יָסַף), H3255 (יְסַף)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect אָסַף Genesis 30:23 +; אָסַפְתָּ Psalm 85:4, etc.; Imperfect יֶּאֱסֹף 2 Kings 5:3; יַאַסְפֵנִי Psalm 27:10, etc.; also וַיֹּסֶף 2 Samuel 6:1; 2 masculine singular תֹּסֵף Psalm 104:29; 1 singular אֹסְפָה Micah 4:6; so probably (suffix) אִֹספְךָ 1 Samuel 15:6 (read אֹסִפְךָ) see Kö i. 382 Dr Sm; Imperative אֱסֹף Numbers 21:16 + אֶסְפָה Numbers 11:16; 2 feminine singular אִסְמִּי Jeremiah 10:17; אִסְפוּ Psalm 50:5 +; Infinitive absolute אָסֹף Jeremiah 8:13 + (Hiph`il, from סוף according to Ba NB 73); construct אֱסֹף 2 Kings 5:7 +; אָסְמְּךָ Exodus 23:16; אָסְמְּכֶם Leviticus 23:39; Participle active אֹסֵף Numbers 19:10; אֹסִפְךָ 2 Kings 22:20; 2 Chronicles 34:28 (pointed אִֹספְךָ i.e. Hiph`il; compare Kö l.c.); אֹסְפָם Psalm 39:7; passive plural construct אֲסֻפֵי Ezekiel 34:29; —
1 gather, collect ( a) persons Genesis 29:22; Genesis 42:17 (followed by אֶלֿ) Exodus 3:16; Exodus 4:29; Numbers 11:16,24; Numbers 21:16; Joshua 2:18 (followed by אֶלֿ + הֿ locative) Joshua 24:1 (followed by הֿ locative; all these J E); 1 Samuel 5:8,11; 2 Kings 23:1 (followed by אֶלֿ) Joshua 2:16; Isaiah 11:12; Zephaniah 3:8; Habakkuk 2:5; Ezekiel 11:17 (all "" קבץ) +; collect men, people, armies, etc., for fighting Numbers 21:23 (E) Judges 11:20; 1 Samuel 17:1; 2 Samuel 10:17; 2 Samuel 12:29 +; compare Zechariah 14:2 (followed by עַלֿ against); ( b) once object beasts Jeremiah 12:9; ( c) things, especially fruits ofearth Exodus 23:10,16 (Cov't code) Leviticus 25:3,20,39 (H) Deuteronomy 11:14; Deuteronomy 16:13; Deuteronomy 28:38; Isaiah 17:5; Jeremiah 40:10,12; Job 39:12; Psalm 39:7; compare Ruth 2:7 ("" לקט glean); the quails Numbers 11:32 (twice in verse); food in General (מַאֲכָל) Genesis 6:21 (followed by אֶלֿ); eggs Isaiah 10:14; money 2 Kings 22:4; 2 Chronicles 24:11; ashes of red heifer Numbers 19:9,10; chariots 1 Kings 10:26; 2 Chronicles 1:14, etc.; of fisherman (בְּמִכְמַרְתּוֺ, in metaphor) Habakkuk 1:15; of collecting wind Proverbs 30:4 מִירֿוּחַ בְּחָפְנָיו׳א.
2 gather an individual into company of others: ( a) object person especially gather to one's father 2 Kings 22:20 (עַלאֲֿבֹתֶיךָ) = 2 Chronicles 34:28 (אֶלֿ; both "" Niph`al of same verb q. v. ); hence also ( b) bring, object person 1 Samuel 14:52 (on form here see Dr) 2 Samuel 11:27 (both followed by אֶלֿ), association, responsibility, protection being implied; also of stray ox or sheep Deuteronomy 22:2 (followed by אֶלתּֿוֺח); hence also ( c) take up, care for, subject ׳י Psalm 27:10 (compare perhaps Isaiah 40:11 קבץ); ( d) draw up the feet upon the bed (אֶלֿ) Genesis 49:33.
3 bring up the rear of Isaiah 58:8 יַאַסְפֶ֑ךָ׳כְּבוֺד י i.e. be thy rear-guard ("" הָלַח לְפָנֶיךָ צִדְקֶ֑ךָ) — Isaiah 52:12 has Pi`el מְאַסִּפְכֶם q. v.
4 gather and take away, remove, withdraw 1 Samuel 14:19 (object hand), Jeremiah 10:17 (bundle, followed by מִן), leprosy 2 Kings 5:11 (see צרע); compare also מִצָּרַעַת׳א, remove (set free) a man from leprosy 2 Kings 5:3; 2 Kings 5:6; 2 Kings 5:7; Genesis 30:23; Isaiah 4:1 (reproach), Psalm 85:4 (wrath, "" הֵשִׁיב), Jeremiah 16:5 (peace, followed by מִן), Joel 2:10; Joel 4:15 (light), Psalm 26:9 (נֶפֶשׁ) so Judges 18:25; Psalm 104:29 (רוּחַ) see also Job 34:14 (followed by אֶלֿ); hence destroy 1 Samuel 15:6 object person); passive אֲסֻפֵי רָעָב destroyed with hunger Ezekiel 34:29; also Infinitive absolute Jeremiah 8:13; Zephaniah 1:2 (joined with הֵסִיף from סוף, see Kö i. 445; considered Hiph`il Infinitive absolute by Ba NB 73 see above)
Niph`al Perfect נֶאֱסַף Numbers 27:13 + נֶאֶסְפָה Jeremiah 48:33 etc.; Imperfect יֵאָסֵף Exodus 9:19 +; וַיֵּאָ֫סֶף Genesis 25:8 +; יֵאָסֵפ֑וּן Psalm 104:22 etc.; Imperative הֵאָסֵף Deuteronomy 32:50; הֵאָֽסְפִי Jeremiah 47:6; הֵאָֽסְפוּ Genesis 49:1 +; Infinitive absolute הֵאָסֹף 2 Samuel 17:11 (on form compare Ba NB 74); construct הֵאָסֵף Genesis 29:7; Numbers 12:15; Participle נֶאֱסָף Genesis 49:29; נֶאֱסָפִים 1 Samuel 13:11; Isaiah 13:14; נֶאְסָפִים Isaiah 57:1; —
1 assemble, be gathered, reflexive ( a) subject men Genesis 49:1 ("" קבץ Genesis 49:2), Isaiah 43:9 ("" קבץ), 2 Chronicles 30:3 (followed by לְ) 2 Chronicles 30:13 (followed by accusative of location), Ezra 3:1; Ezra 9:4; Nehemiah 8:1,13 (all followed by אֶלֿ) Nehemiah 9:1; Nehemiah 12:28; earlier mostly of assembling for war Genesis 34:30 (followed by עַלֿ), Joshua 10:5; Judges 6:33; Judges 9:6; Judges 10:17 "" נצעק), Judges 20:11 (followed by אֶלֿ) Judges 20:14 (followed by הֿ locative), 1 Samuel 13:11 (followed by accusative of location) +; ( b) subject flocks, etc. Genesis 29:3 (passive; followed by שָׁמָּה) Genesis 29:7; Genesis 29:8 (all J); fish Numbers 11:22 (compare Habakkuk 1:25 Qal); ( c) inanimate subject herbs Proverbs 27:25; water 2 Samuel 14:14 (in simile); bones for burial Jeremiah 8:2; compare Jeremiah 25:33 (bodies of slain) see also Ezekiel 29:5 ("" קבץ which Co reads קבר), apparently = compose, arrange for burial. ** So יֵאָסֵף Job 27:19; but read probably יֹאסִף = יוֺסִף ( Exodus 5:7), ᵐ5ᵑ6 Ew De Di Du. 2 passive of Qal
2; ( a) be gathered to one's fathers אֶלאֲֿבוֺתָיו׳נֶא Judges 2:10; elsewhere to one's people אֶלעַֿמָּיו (all P) Genesis 25:8,17; Genesis 35:29 ("" וַיִּגְוַע וַיָּמָת) Genesis 49:29,33 ("" גוע), Numbers 20:24,26 ("" מות Numbers 27:13 (twice in verse); Numbers 31:2; Deuteronomy 32:50 (twice in verse) (both "" מות); also אֶלקִֿבְרֹתֶיךָ 2 Kings 22:20 2 Chronicles 34:28 both "" Qal q. v.); hence also ( b) be brought in (into association with others, etc.) Numbers 12:14,15 (E) of Miriam, after leprosy; also reflexive betake oneself, of Moses Numbers 11:30 (E), compare 2 Samuel 17:13 (both followed by אֶלֿ); even with inanimate subject Jeremiah 47:6 הֵאָֽסְפִיאֶלתַּֿעְרֵח (addressed to sword); of man & beast brought home (followed by הֿ locative) for protection Exodus 9:19.
3 Pass. of Qal
4; be taken away, removed, perish, of men Isaiah 57:1 (twice in verse) ("" אבד); fish Hosea 4:3; gladness Isaiah 16:10; Jeremiah 48:33 (followed by מִן); also reflexive, withdraw itself, of moon Isaiah 60:20 ("" בוא שׁמשׁ).
Pi`el Participle מְאַסֵּף Numbers 10:25 +; מְאָֽסְפָיו Isaiah 62:9 (so BD see Kö i. 201); מְאַסִּפְכֶם Isaiah 52:12; —
1 gather harvest Isaiah 62:9 ("" קבץ); bodies for burial Jeremiah 9:21.
2 take in, receive into (followed by בַּיְתָה) Judges 19:15,18.
3 as substantive rearguard, rearward Numbers 10:25 (P) Joshua 6:9,13 (both E); figurative of God Isaiah 52:12.
Pu`al Perfect וְאֻסַּף (cons.) Isaiah 33:4; Zechariah 14:14 etc.; Participle מְאֻסָּף Ezekiel 38:12 — be gathered, of men Isaiah 24:22; Hosea 10:10 (followed by עַל against), Ezekiel 38:12; booty Isaiah 33:4; wealth Zechariah 14:14.
Hithpa`el Infinitive הִתְאַסֵּף Deuteronomy 33:5 gather themselves.
אָסַף imp. אֱסֹף, אֶסְפָה Numbers 11:16 pl. אִסְפוּ Psalms 50:5 fut. יֶאֱסֹף; in pl. and with suff. יַאַסְפוּ, יַאַסְפֵנִי; more rarely with א quiescent, or cast away יֹסֵף, וַיֹּסֶף, אֹסֵף 1 Samuel 15:6; 2 Samuel 6:1; Psalms 104:29, prop. to scrape, to scrape together, zufammenfcharren, cogn. to the verbs סוּף (whence סוּפָה sweeping whirlwind), סָפָה; also יָסַף, and with the harsher חָסֵף (which see); hence
(1) to collect, as fruits, Exodus 23:10 ears of corn, Ruth 2:7 money, 2 Kings 22:4 also to assemble men, a people, peoples, etc., Exodus 3:16; Numbers 21:16; 2 Samuel 12:28. Const. with an acc., also sometimes with אֶל of the person or place to which any one is congregated; Genesis 42:17, וַיֶּאֱסֹף אֹתָם אֶל־מִשְׁמָר “and he assembled them into the prison;” 1 Samuel 14:52; 2 Samuel 11:27; Genesis 6:21 also עַל 2 Kings 22:20. Hence
(2) to take to oneself, to receive to oneself, especially to hospitality and protection, Deuteronomy 22:2; Joshua 20:4 אָסַף פ׳ מִצָּרַעַת 2 Kings 5:3, seq. “to receive any one from leprosy,” i.e. to heal a leprous person, after which he would be again received into intercourse with other men.
(3) to gather up to one, to contract, draw back; Genesis 49:33, “he drew up his feet into the bed;” 1 Samuel 14:19, אֱסֹף יָדֶךָ “draw back thy hand,” i.e. stay from what thou hast begun; Joel 2:10, “the stars אָֽסְפוּ נָגְהָם shall draw back their brightness,” i.e. they shall shine no longer. Hence
(4) to take away, especially that which any one had previously given; Psalms 104:29, תֹּסֵף רוּחָם יִגְוָעוּן “thou takest away their breath, they expire;” Job 34:14; Genesis 30:23, אָסַף אֱלֹהִים אֶת־חֶרְפָּתִי “God hath taken away my shame,” Isaiah 4:1, 10:14.
(5) to take out of the way, to destroy, to kill, Judges 18:25; 1 Samuel 15:6, פֶּן אֹסִפְךָ עִמּוֹ “lest I destroy you with them;” Ezekiel 34:29, אֲסוּפֵי רָעָב “destroyed,” i.e. killed “by hunger;” Jeremiah 8:13; Zephaniah 1:2 compare the roots סָפָה, סוּף. From the first signification comes
(6) agmen claudere, to bring up the rear, Isaiah 58:8. Those who bring up the rear, keep together, and collect the stragglers; compare Piel, No. 3.
(1) to be collected, gathered together; construed with אֶל Leviticus 26:25 עַל 2 Samuel 17:11 לְ 2 Chronicles 30:3 of the place to which any are gathered together, although עַל in this phrase more frequently signifies against, Genesis 34:30; Psalms 35:15.-נֶאֱסַף אֶל־עַמּוֹ Genesis 49:29 אֶל־אֲבוֹתָיו Judges 2:10, and simply נֶאֱסַף Numbers 20:26, “to be gathered to one’s people, to one’s father;” used of entering into Hades, where the Hebrews regarded their ancestors as being gathered together. This gathering to one’s fathers, or one’s people, is distinguished both from death and burial, Genesis 25:8, 35:29 2 Kings 22:20. The principle is different of the passages in which נֶאֱסַף is used of gathering the dead bodies of those slain in battle for burial, Jeremiah 8:2; Ezekiel 29:5; Job 27:19.
(2) to be received (compare Kal No. 2); used of the leper, i.q. to be healed, Numbers 12:14; Jeremiah 47:6 reflect. to receive, or betake oneself (into the sheath), of a sword.
(3) to be taken away, to vanish, to perish, Isaiah 16:10, 60:20 Jeremiah 48:33; Hosea 4:3.
(1) i.q. Kal No. 1, to gather, collect, Isaiah 62:9.
(2) to receive, as a guest, Judges 19:18.
(3) i.q. Kal No. 6, to bring up the rear, Numbers 10:25; Joshua 6:9, 13 Joshua 6:13; Isaiah 52:12.
Pual pass. of Kal No. 1, to be gathered, Isaiah 24:22, 33:4.
Hithpael, to be assembled, Deuteronomy 33:5.
The derivatives follow, also אָסִיף.