the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #3559 - כּוּן
1) to be firm, be stable, be established
1a1) to be set up, be established, be fixed
1a1a) to be firmly established
1a1b) to be established, be stable, be secure, be enduring
1a1c) to be fixed, be securely determined
1a2) to be directed aright, be fixed aright, be steadfast
1a3) to prepare, be ready
1a4) to be prepared, be arranged, be settled
1b1) to establish, set up, accomplish, do, make firm
1b2) to fix, make ready, prepare, provide, provide for, furnish
1b3) to direct toward (moral sense)
1b4) to arrange, order
1c1) to be established, be fastened
1c2) to be prepared, be ready
1d1) to set up, establish
1d2) to constitute, make
1d3) to fix
1d4) to direct
1e) (Pulal) to be established, be prepared
1f) (Hithpolel) to be established, be restored
1244) nk (כנ KN) AC: Stand CO: Root AB: Sure: The pictograph k is a picture of the open palm, the n is a picture of a seed. Combined these mean "opening of a seed". When the seed opens the roots begin to form the base of the plant by going down into the soil. The plant rises out of the ground forming the stalk of the plant. A tall tree can only stand tall and firm because of the strong root system which supports it.
A) nk (כנ KN) AC: ? CO: Base AB: ?: The base that supports that which stands firm.
Nm) nk (כנ KN) - I. So:A firmness in a situation. [Hebrew and Aramaic] II. Firm:A standing tall and firm. An upright person of column. III. Base:The base which provides support as well as a persons home or family as a base. IV. Gnat:Possibly as a firm standing insect. [Unknown connection to root] KJV (74): foot, estate, base, office, place, well, so, thus, like, well, such, howbeit, state, after, that, following, therefore, wherefore, lice, manner - Strongs: H3651 (כֵּן), H3652 (כֵּן), H3653 (כֵּן), H3654 (כֵּן)
Nf1) enk (כנה KNH) - Stalk: The base and support of a plant. KJV (2): vineyard - Strongs: H3657 (כַּנָּה), H3661 (כָּנַן)
pf1) emnk (כנמה KNMH) - So: A firmness in a situation. [Aramaic only] KJV (5): thus, so, sort, manner - Strongs: H3660 (כְּנֵמָא)
kcf1) enfkm (מכונה MKWNH) - Base: What is firm and supports something. KJV (23): base - Strongs: H4350 (מְכֹנָה)
kdf1) enfkm (מכונה MKWNH) - Base: What is firm and supports something. KJV (1): base - Strongs: H4369 (מְכֻנָה)
C) nka (אכנ AKN) AC: Firm CO: ? AB: ?: A firm or sure position.
Nm) nka (אכנ AKN) - Surely: To be firm in something. [df: Ka] KJV (40): also, but, certainly, even, howbeit, least, nevertheless, notwithstanding, only, save, scarce, surely, sure, truly, verily, wherefore, yet - Strongs: H389 (אַךְ), H403 (אָכֵן)
G) nek (כהנ KHN) AC: Adorn CO: Priest AB: ?: The base which supports the people.
V) nek (כהנ KHN) - Adorn: To put on special ornaments or garments for a special office or event. (see Isaiah 61:10) KJV (23): (vf: Piel) minister, execute, deck, office, priest - Strongs: H3547 (כָּהַן)
Nm) nek (כהנ KHN) - Priest: [Aramaic only] KJV (8): priest - Strongs: H3549 (כָּהֵן)
df1) enfek (כהונה KHWNH) - Priesthood: The group of those who support the community. KJV (14): priesthood, priests office - Strongs: H3550 (כְּהֻנָּה)
gm) nefk (כוהנ KWHN) - Priest: KJV (750): priest, chief, officer, prince - Strongs: H3548 (כֹּהֵן)
H) enk (כנה KNH) AC: Support CO: Flatter AB: ?: Words or names that are given in support of another.
V) enk (כנה KNH) - Flatter: To give words or a name of honor. KJV (4): (vf: Piel) surname, flattering title - Strongs: H3655 (כָּנָה)
J) nfk (כונ KWN) AC: Firm CO: Foundation AB: ?
V) nfk (כונ KWN) - Firm: To set something firmly in place, either physically or with words. KJV (219): (vf: Niphal, Hiphil, Hophal) prepare, establish, ready, provide, right, fix, set, direct, order, fashion, certain, confirm, firm - Strongs: H3559 (כּוּן)
Nm) nfk (כונ KWN) - Cake: As firmly pressed. KJV (2): cake - Strongs: H3561 (כַּוָּן)
am) nfkm (מכונ MKWN) - Foundation: A firm place of support. KJV (17): place, habitation, foundation - Strongs: H4349 (מָכוֹן)
if1) enfkt (תכונה TKWNH) - Foundation: KJV (1): seat - Strongs: H8499 (תְּכוּנָה)
- A2267 Xnk (Gather)
- A2268 Onk (Lower, Bundle, Humility)
- A2894 Plt (Hang)
- A2271 Snk (Gather)
- A2272 Tnk (Associate)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Niph`al Perfect (on 3 masculine singular see Participle below), 3 feminine singular נָכּ֫וֺנָה 1 Kings 2:46; 3 plural נָכ֫וֺנוּ Proverbs 19:29; נָכֹּ֫נוּ Ezekiel 16:7; Imperfect יִכּוֺן Proverbs 12:3 +; 3 feminine singular תִּכּוֺן Jeremiah 30:20 +; וַתִּכֹּן 1 Kings 2:12; 2 Chronicles 8:16, etc.; Imperative הִכּוֺן Amos 4:12; הִכֹּן Ezekiel 38:7; plural הכונוּ 2 Chronicles 35:4 Kt (Qr הָכִינוּ Hiph`il); Participle נָכוֺן Genesis 41:32 + (in Psalm 93:2 and perhaps elsewhere the Perfect would be possibly); construct נְכוֺן Proverbs 4:18; feminine נְכוֺנָה Psalm 5:10 2t.; plural נְכֹנִים Exodus 19:11 2t.; passive or neuter, and (less often) reflexive: —
1 be set up, established, fixed:
a. literally, of house upon (עַל) pillars Judges 16:26,29, Song of Solomon , in metaphor, of temple-mount, followed by בְּראֹשׁ Isaiah 2:2 = Micah 4:1; be firm, of breasts at puberty Ezekiel 16:7; firmly established, of תֵּבֵל Psalm 93:1 = Psalm 96:10 = 1 Chronicles 16:30; firm, i.e. a strong support, of ׳י s hand יָ דִי תִּכּוֺן עִמּוֺ Psalm 89:22 ("" זְרוֺעִי תְאַמְּצֶנּוּ).
b. figurative, of throne 2 Samuel 7:16 = 1 Chronicles 17:14; 1 Kings 2:45; Psalm 89:38; Psalm 93:2; Proverbs 16:12; Proverbs 25:5; Proverbs 29:14; of king, royal family, kingdom 1 Samuel 20:31; 1 Kings 2:12,46; 2 Samuel 7:26 1 Chronicles 17:24.
c. of any persons, be established, stable, secure, enduring Job 21:8 (with לִפְנֵי), Proverbs 12:3, also Proverbs 12:19 (subject שְׂפַת אֱמֶת) Psalm 101:7 (with לְנֶגֶד עֵינָ֑י), Psalm 102:29 (with לְפָנֶיךָ), Psalm 140:12 (with בָּאָרֶץ); of plans Proverbs 16:3; Proverbs 20:18; נְכוֺן הַיּוֺם Proverbs 4:18 the established, stable, (part) of the day, i.e. mid-day, when the sun seems motionless in mid-heaven. — 2 Samuel 6:6 see נָכוֺן proper name below
d. fixed, securely determined הַדָּבָר מֵעִם׳נ הָאֱלֹהִים ("" אֱמֶת) Genesis 41:32 (E); so כְּשַׁחַר נָכוֺן מֹצָאוֺ Hosea 6:3 ᵑ0, but read כְּשַׁחֲרֵנוּ כֵּן נִמְצָאֵהוּ Gie Beiträ Genesis 208 We on the passage; substantiated, certain, of an allegation Deuteronomy 13:15 = Deuteronomy 17:4; עַלנָֿכוֺן according to (what is) certain, = certainly, assuredly 1 Samuel 23:23; 1 Samuel 26:4 (see Dr).
2 in moral sense, be directed aright, of ways Proverbs 4:26; Psalm 119:5 (compare Hiph`il
3); be fixed aright, stedfast נָכוֺןלִבִּי Psalm 57:8 (twice in verse); Psalm 108:2, so Psalm 112:7; לִבָּם לֹא נָכוֺן עִמּוֺ Psalm 78:37; רוּחַ נָכוֺן Psalm 51:12 ("" לֵב טָהוֺר); לא נָכוֺן לעשׂות כן Exodus 8:22 (J) it is not right, proper, etc.; participle feminine נְכוֺנָה as substantive = what is right, the right Job 42:7,8; = uprightness Psalm 5:10.
3 prepare, be ready, person Amos 4:12 (with ל infinitive); words Proverbs 22:18; הִכֹּן וְהָכֵן לְךָ Ezekiel 38:7; 2 Chronicles 35:4 Kt (Qr Hiph`il); participle as adjective = prepared, ready, often with הָוָה, of persons Exodus 19:11,15; Exodus 34:2; Joshua 8:4 (all J E); of things, followed by ל person Job 12:5; Nehemiah 8:10, ל location Job 18:12, ל noun active Psalm 38:18; ב location Job 15:23;
4 passive be prepared, of judgments Proverbs 19:29 (ל person); of work be arranged, settled 2 Chronicles 8:16; figurative of prayer Psalm 141:2 be arranged, set in order, as incense before thee (> present itself as incense); be arranged, ordered, of temple service 2 Chronicles 29:35; 35:10,16.
Hiph`il Perfect הֵכִין Joshua 4:4 +; suffix הֱכִינַנִי 1 Kings 2:24; הֱכִינוֺ 2 Samuel 5:12; 1 Chronicles 14:2; הֱכִינָהּ Job 28:27; 2 masculine singular הֲכִינוֺתָ Job 11:13 +; 3 plural הֵכִינוּ 1 Chronicles 12:39 +; וְהֵכִינוּ consecutive Exodus 16:5; 1 plural הֲכִינוֺנוּ 1 Chronicles 29:16; הֵכַנּוּ (Ges§ 72, R. 6) 2 Chronicles 29:16, etc.; Imperfect יָכִין Judges 12:6 +; וַיָּ֫כֶן 1 Chronicles 15:1 3t., etc.; Imperative הָכֵן Genesis 43:16 +; plural הָכִינוּ Joshua 1:11 +; Infinitive absolute הָכֵן Joshua 3:17, so הָכִין Joshua 4:3 (read הָכֵין, see Di), Jeremiah 10:23 (see Gie), Ezekiel 7:14 (see Sm Co and below; see on all Kö i. 468); construct הָכִין Isaiah 9:6 +; suffix הֲכִינוֺ Nahum 2:4; Proverbs 8:27; הֲכִינָהּ Jeremiah 33:2; Participle מֵכִין Jeremiah 10:12 4t.; — (favourite word in Chronicles, in various applications)
1 establish, set up:
a. king (or, one as king) 2 Samuel 5:12; 1 Kings 2:24; 1 Chronicles 14:2, royal seed Psalm 89:5, kingdom 1 Samuel 13:13; 2 Samuel 7:12 = 1 Chronicles 17:11; 1 Chronicles 28:7; 2 Chronicles 12:1; 17:5, throne 1 Chronicles 22:10; the world תֵּבֵל Jeremiah 10:12 = Jeremiah 51:15; mountains Psalm 65:7; heavens Proverbs 8:27; an altar upon (עַל) its base Ezra 3:3.
b. God's faithfulness Psalm 89:3; heart of humble Psalm 10:17.
c. = accomplish, do Jeremiah 33:2 ("" עשׂה), = make Isaiah 40:20; Job 28:27.
d. make firm, only infinitive absolute, as adverb = firmly הָכֵן Joshua 3:17; הָכִין Joshua 4:3 (see above)
2. a. fix, so as to be ready, make ready, prepare, a gift Genesis 43:25 (J), place Exodus 23:20 (JE), 2 Chronicles 3:1; with לְ of thing 1 Chronicles 15:1,3, also (object omitted) 1 Chronicles 15:12 (see Be, and Da Synt. § 144), 2 Chronicles 1:4 (בַּהֵכִין, see Ges§ 138. 3. b); often prepare food, accusative + לְ person Joshua 1:11 (D), Psalm 78:20; לְ omitted Proverbs 6:8; Proverbs 30:25; object omitted 1 Chronicles 12:39; 2 Chronicles 35:14 (twice in verse); 2 Chronicles 35:15; both omitted Genesis 43:16 (J), 1 Chronicles 9:32; prepare a road Deuteronomy 19:3, a sacrifice Zephaniah 1:7, ambuscades Jeremiah 51:12, one's work Proverbs 24:27, materials for (לְ) temple 1 Chronicles 22:3,14, also 1 Chronicles 22:14 b (no לְ), 1 Chronicles 29:2,3; weapons (with לְ person) 2 Chronicles 26:14 and (hostile purpose) Psalm 7:14, compare Psalm 57:7, Isaiah 14:21 prepare slaughter-place for (לְ) his children; store-rooms 2 Chronicles 31:11a, also 2 Chronicles 31:11 b (object omitted); gallows (with לְ person) Esther 6:4; Esther 7:10; corn (produce of land) Psalm 65:10; land Psalm 65:10, so (= restore) Psalm 68:11; with accusative of person 2 Chronicles 35:6; figurative of belly preparing deceit Job 15:35; make preparation (for, לְ of thing) 1 Chronicles 22:5, and 1 Chronicles 22:5 (לְ omitted); followed by לִבְנוֺת 1 Chronicles 28:2, with accusative material + לִבְנוֺת 1 Kings 5:32; 1 Chronicles 29:16; without לְ, make ready 1 Samuel 23:22; Nahum 2:4; Ezekiel 7:14 (read הָכִינוּ הָכֵן Co, for הַכֹּל׳ה MT) = make full preparation! make thee ready! Jeremiah 46:14 (לְ dativus ethicus [dative of interest]), Ezekiel 28:7 ( id.), 2 Chronicles 35:4.
b. provide for, provide, furnish Numbers 23:1,29; Numbers 29:7; Joshua 4:4 (all J E), Job 27:16,17, food for (לְ) raven Job 39:41, rain for (לְ) earth Psalm 147:8; 1 Chronicles 29:19; 2 Chronicles 2:6; Psalm 74:16.
3 direct one's face towards (אֶלֿ) Ezekiel 4:3,7; in moral and spiritual sense, direct one's step (צַעֲדוֺ) = order aright, Jeremiah 10:23 (see above), Proverbs 16:9, so (מְּעָמַי) Psalm 119:133; אֱלֹהָיו׳הֵכִין דְּרָכָיו לִפְנֵי י 2 Chronicles 27:6, also (followed by דרכיו only) Proverbs 21:29 Kt (Qr יָבִין); עַל הַהֵכִין הָאֱלֹהִים לָעָם 2 Chronicles 29:36 that which God had ordered aright for the people (on article = relative pronoun see Ges§ 138. 3. b); followed by לֵב Job 11:13; Psalm 78:8; + לְ, ׳לֹא הֵכִין לִבּוֺ לִדְרוֺשׁ אֶתיֿ 2 Chronicles 12:14, Song of Solomon 2Chronicles 19:3; 30:19; + ׳לִדְרוֺשׁ אֵתאתּוֺרַת י Ezra 7:10; הכין לבב׳אֶלֿ 1 Samuel 7:3 direct the heart towards ׳י, 1 Chronicles 29:18 (׳י subject), so (with לֵאלֹהִים) 2 Chronicles 20:33; hence (no object expressed) = give attention, followed by infinitive Judges 12:6.
4 arrange, order 2 Chronicles 29:19 (of sacred vessels; + הִקְדַּשְׁנוּ), 2 Chronicles 35:20 (of temple).
Hoph`al Perfect הוּכַן Isaiah 30:33, וְהוּכַן consecutive Isaiah 16:5; Zechariah 5:11; וְהֻכַֿן Nahum 2:6; Participle מוּכָן Proverbs 21:31, plural מוּכָנִים Ezekiel 40:43; —
1 be established, of throne Isaiah 16:5; be fastened, of hooks Ezekiel 40:43.
2 be prepared for (לְ person) Isaiah 30:33 and (לְ temporal) Proverbs 21:31; absolute Nahum 2:6; be ready Zechariah 5:11.
Po`lel. Perfect 3 masculine singular כּוֺנֵן Psalm 9:8 3t., וְכוֺנֵן consecutive Habakkuk 2:12; suffix כּוֺנְַנָהּ Isaiah 45:18; 2 masculine singular כּוֺנַנְתָּ Psalm 99:4; Psalm 119:90, כּוֺנָ֑נְתָּה Psalm 8:4, etc.; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יְכוֺנֵן Isaiah 62:7; suffix וַיְכֹנְַנֶ֑ךָ Deuteronomy 32:6, יְכוֺנְַנֶהָ Psalm 24:2 +, suffix 1 plural וַיְכֻנֶנּוּ Job 31:15 (וַיְכוּנֶּנוּ van d. H); 2 masculine singular תְּכוֺנֵן Psalm 7:10; Psalm 21:13, etc.; Imperative כּוֺנֵן Job 8:8 (but on text see infra), כּוֺנְַנָה Psalm 90:17, suffix כּוֺנְַנֵהוּ Psalm 90:17; — originally make firm; —
1 set up, establish:
a. of men, found, a city Habakkuk 2:12 ("" בנה), Psalm 107:36.
b. of God, establish, king's throne 2 Samuel 7:13 = 1 Chronicles 17:12, his own throne Psalm 9:8 (לְמִשְׁמָּט), sanctuary Exodus 15:7 (song), a nation Deuteronomy 32:6 (poem; "" קנה, עשׂה), a city Psalm 48:9; Psalm 87:5, תֵּבֵל Psalm 24:2 (with עַל, "" יָסַד), אֶרֶץ Psalm 119:90, compare Isaiah 45:18, also Psalm 68:10 (object omitted, read perhaps אֶרֶץ צִיָּה Bi Che), heavens Proverbs 3:19 ("" יָסַדאָֿ֑רֶץ), moon and stars Psalm 8:4; figurative, steps of men Psalm 40:3, work of men's hands Psalm 90:17 (twice in verse), justice Psalm 99:4; establish, i.e. vindicate and make secure to righteous (צַדִּיק) Psalm 7:10.
2 constitute, make, a man (in womb) Job 31:15 ("" עשׂה), compare Psalm 119:73 ("" id.); with accusative + לְ of thing + לְ person reflexive 2 Samuel 7:24 thou hast made for thyself (לְךָ), thy people (אֶתעַֿמְּךָ) Israel for thyself (לְךָ) into a people (לְעָם) for ever.
3 fix, so as to be ready, arrow upon (עַל) string Psalm 11:2, so (חֵץ omitted) Psalm 21:13 (with עַלמְּֿנֵיהֶם), and possibly (חֵץ omitted) Isaiah 51:13 (Di Che and others; but dubious, compare Du; verse corrupt according to Che Intr. Isaiah 427), a bow Psalm 7:13.
4 direct (that is לֵב), followed by לְחֵקֶר Job 8:8, i.e. give attention to (but no "" in Po`lel; read perhaps בּוֺנֵן, compare Deuteronomy 32:10, see Ol Di).
Po`lal. Perfect be established: ׳מימִצְעֲדֵיגֶֿבֶר כּוֺנָ֑נוּ Psalm 37:23 from ׳י are a man's steps established; = be prepared כּוֺנָנ֑וּ Ezekiel 28:13 but strike out Co Da after A B ᵑ6 and others
Hithpo`el. Imperfect; be established, of house, 3 masculine singular יִתְכּוֺנָ֑ן Proverbs 24:3 ("" יִבָּנֶה), of nation, 2 feminine singular תִּכּוֺנָ֑נִי (Ges§ 54. 2. b) Isaiah 54:14; 3 feminine singular תִּכּוֺנֵן = be restored, of city Numbers 21:27 (J E; "" תִּבָּנֶה); set oneself, take one's stand 3 masculine plural יִכּוֺנָ֑נוּ Psalm 59:5.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
כּוּן unused in Kal, prop. to stand upright; see Pilel, Hiphil, and the noun כֵּן. A secondary root is the Arab. and Eth. كَانَ, ኮነ፡ to exist, to be. As to וַיְכוּנֶּנּוּ Job 31:15 see Analyt. Ind.
(1) to set up, to erect, prop. to set upright, as a throne, Psalms 9:8; 2 Samuel 7:13 hence, to confirm, to establish, to maintain, Psalms 7:10, 40:3 48:9 68:10 90:17 99:4.
(2) to found, as a city, Psalms 107:36; Habakkuk 2:12 the earth, Psalms 24:2, 119:90 heaven, Proverbs 3:19.
(3) to direct, as arrows, Psalms 7:13, 11:2 also without the accus. חִצִּים absol. (zielen), followed by עַל of the mark, Psalms 21:12. Metaph. with the omission of לֵב (for the full form, see Hiphil, No. 4), to turn one’s mind to any thing, to have in one’s mind, Job 8:8; Isaiah 51:13.
(4) to create, to form, used of God with regard to man, Deuteronomy 32:6; Psalms 119:73 the moon and stars, Psalms 8:4.
(1) to be established (used of one’s steps), Psalms 37:23.
(2) Pass. of act. No. 3, to be prepared, Ezekiel 28:13.
Hiphil הֵכִין i.q. Pilel.
(1) to set up, to erect, e.g. a seat, Job 29:7; Psalms 103:19 hence, to establish, Psalms 89:5; 2 Samuel 7:12 to strengthen, Psalms 10:17, 89:5.
(2) to constitute, to appoint any one, e.g. a king; followed by לְ 2 Samuel 5:12; Joshua 4:4.
(3) to found, as a sanctuary, 1 Kings 6:19 an altar, Ezra 3:3 the world, the mountains, Psalms 65:7; Jeremiah 10:12, 51:15.
(4) to direct, to aim, as a weapon, followed by לְ of pers. (against any one), Psalms 7:14 to set the face, Ezekiel 4:3, one’s way, 2 Chronicles 27:6. Specially
(a) הֵכִין לֵב לְ to apply one’s mind to do something, i.e. to purpose seriously, to take in hand, 2 Chronicles 12:14, 30:19 Ezra 7:10 and without לֵב 1 Chronicles 28:2, הֲכִינוֹתִי לִבְנוֹת “I have purposed to build;” Judges 12:6 (b) (לֵב) הֵכִין to apply the mind, 1 Samuel 23:22 followed by לְ of pers. (for to care for) 2 Chronicles 29:36.
(c) הֵכִין לֵב אֶל־יְהֹוָה to direct the heart to the Lord, 1 Samuel 7:3; 2 Chronicles 20:33 and without אֶל־יְהֹוָה Job 11:13.
(5) to prepare, make ready, as food, Genesis 43:16 deceit, Job 15:35 compare Job 27:17, 39:5, etc.-As to the Inf. absol. אָכֵן (for הָכֵן), and its use as an adverb, see that word.
Hophal, pass. of Hiphil, No. 1, Isaiah 16:5 of No. 2, Isaiah 30:33 of No. 5, Nahum 2:6; Proverbs 21:31.
Niphal, pass. of Pilel and Hiphil.
(1) to be set up, to rise up, Isaiah 2:2; Ezekiel 16:7 (of breasts becoming round); to stand firm, to be established, Psalms 93:2, 101:7 Job 21:8. Hence נְכוֹן הַיּוֹם Proverbs 4:18, fixed, steady day, noon, when the sun seems to stand without moving, at the highest point of its course in the sky; Gr. σταθερὸν ἠ̓͂μαρ, σταθερὰ, μεσημβρία Arab. قايمة النهار; see Schult. on Pro. loc. cit.; Ruhnken ad Tim. p. 236. Figuratively
(a) to be right, fit, Exodus 8:22; Job 42:8; Psalms 5:10.
(b) to be true, sincere; Psalms 78:37, לִבָּם לֹא־נָכוֹן עִמּוֹ “their heart was not sincere towards him.” Part. f. נְכוֹנָה that which is sincere, sincerity, Psalms 5:10.
(c) to be firm, constant; רוּחַ נָכוֹן a spirit constant in the purpose of virtue, Psalms 51:12; Genesis 41:32, נָכוֹן הַדָּבָר מֵעִם הָאֱלֹהִים “the thing is certainly decreed of God.”
(d) to be firm, intrepid, used of the mind, Psalms 57:8, 108:2 112:7.
(e) to be sure, certain, אֶל־נָכוֹן certainly, 1 Samuel 26:4, 23:23.
(2) to be founded, Judges 16:26.
(3) to be prepared; Exodus 19:11, הֱיוּ נְכוֹנִים “be ye ready;” verse 15 Exodus 19:15, 34:2 Ezekiel 38:7. Followed by לְ of pers. to be ready for any one, i.e. to be near at hand, Proverbs 19:29 compare Job 15:23 followed by לְ of the thing, to be ready for any thing, i.e. to be near doing it; Psalms 38:18, אֲנִי לְצֶלַע נָכוֹן “I am near falling.”
Hithpael הִתְכּוֹנֵן, once Proverbs 24:3 elsewhere הִכּוֹנֵן
(1) to be established, confirmed. Proverbs 24:3; Numbers 21:27; Isaiah 54:14.
(2) to prepare oneself. Psalms 59:5.
Derived nouns, כֵּן, אָכֵן, כַּוָּן, כִּיּוּן, מָכוֹן, מְכוֹנָה, תְּכוּנָה and the pr.n. יָכִין, יְכָנְיָה, כָּנְיָה, יְהוֹיָכִין.
כּוּן 1 Chronicles 18:8 [Chun], pr.n. of a town in Phœnicia, called in the parallel place, 2 Samuel 8:8, בֵּרֹתַי. In the itinerary of Antoninus, it is called Conna, see Michaëlis in Suppl. p. 1233.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.