the First Week of Advent
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2505 - חָלַק
1) to divide, share, plunder, allot, apportion, assign
1a1) to divide, apportion
1a2) to assign, distribute
1a3) to assign, impart
1a4) to share
1a5) to divide up, plunder
1b1) to divide oneself
1b2) to be divided
1b3) to assign, distribute
1c1) to divide, apportion
1c2) to assign, distribute
1c3) to scatter
1d) (Pual) to be divided
1e) (Hiphil) to receive a portion or part
1f) (Hithpael) to divide among themselves
2) to be smooth, slippery, deceitful
2a) (Qal) to be smooth, slippery
2b1) to be smooth
2b2) to flatter
V) qlh (ההלק HhLQ) - I. Divide:To divide something up and disperse each portion to the appropriate recipients. II. Smooth:To have a smooth surface. Also to flatter in the sense of a smooth talk. [Unknown connection to root] KJV (65): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Pual, Piel) divide, flatter, part, distribute, dealt, smooth, give, impart, partner, portion, receive, separate - Strongs: H2505 (חָלַק)
Nf1) eqlh (ההלקה HhLQH) - I. Portion:The part received from what was divided. II. Smooth:A smooth surface or flattery as a smooth talk. [Unknown connection to root] KJV (30): portion, parcel, piece, field, flattering, plat, part, flattery, ground places, smooth - Strongs: H2513 (חֶלְקָה), H2514 (חֲלַקָּה)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect ׳ה Deuteronomy 4:19 5t.; חָֽלְקוּ Joshua 18:2; Imperfect יַחֲלֹק Job 27:17; Proverbs 17:2; 2 masculine singular suffix וַתַּחְלְקֵם Nehemiah 9:22; 3 plural וַיַּחְלְקוּ Joshua 14:5; יַחֲלֹ֑קוּ 1 Samuel 30:24; וַיַּחְלְקוּם 1 Chronicles 24:4,5; תַּחְלְקוּ 2 Samuel 19:30; Imperative חִלְקוּ Joshua 22:8; Infinitive לַחֲלֹק Nehemiah 13:13; Participle חוֺלֵק Proverbs 29:24; —
1 divide, apportion, followed by accusative (of gods) and לְ person Deuteronomy 4:19; Deuteronomy 29:25; accusative not expressed Nehemiah 13:13 (reference to offerings and tithes); with accusative (of land) Joshua 14:5 (P), Joshua 18:2 (JE), 2 Samuel 19:30: object people Nehemiah 9:22; עִם׳ח divide with others Joshua 22:8 (D ?).
2 assign, distribute : Levites over (על) temple 2 Chronicles 23:18, compare 1 Chronicles 24:4,5.
3 assign, impart, followed by בִּינָה & לְ Job 39:17.
4 share (in), followed by accusative silver Job 27:17; inheritance Proverbs 17:2; spoil 1 Samuel 30:24 (object omitted); followed by עם have shares with עם גַּנָּב׳ח Proverbs 29:24.
5 divide up = plunder the temple, followed by accusative 2 Chronicles 28:21 (see Be).
Niph`al Imperfect יֵחָלֵק Numbers 26:55; 1 Kings 16:21; יֵחָ֫לֶק Job 38:24; וַיֵּחָלֵק Genesis 14:15; 3 feminine singular תֵּחָלֵק Numbers 26:53,56; וֶַיּחָלְקֵם (Baer) 1 Chronicles 23:6; 1 Chronicles 24:3 compare Be & below below
1 reflexive, divide oneself Genesis 14:15 (i.e. one's men).
2 passive be divided:
a. apportioned, the land Numbers 26:53,55 (by lot) Numbers 26:56 ( id.); all P.
b. of people, divided into two factions 1 Kings 16:21.
c. of light, parted, spread abroad Job 38:24.
3 transitive assign, distribute 1 Chronicles 23:6; 1 Chronicles 24:3, but transitive Niph`al is unlikely, see below
Pi`el Perfect 3 plural חִלְּקוּ Joel 1Chronicles 4:2; וְחִלַּקְתֶּם consecutive Ezekiel 47:21; suffix חִלְּקָם Lamentations 4:16; 3 feminine singular suffix חִלְּקַ֫תָּה Isaiah 34:17; 2 masculine singular suffix וְחִלַּקְתָּם Ezekiel 5:1; — Imperfect יְחַלֵּק Genesis 49:27 4t., etc.; probably read יְחַלְּקֵם 1 Chronicles 23:6; 1 Chronicles 24:3 (see above
Niph`al), etc.; Imperative חַלֵּק Joshua 13:7; Infinitive חַלֵּק Joshua 19:51; Proverbs 16:19; suffix חַלְּקָם Isaiah 9:2; —
1 divide, apportion: food, at festival 2 Samuel 6:19, followed by accusative & לְ = 1 Chronicles 16:3, garments Psalm 22:19, sorrows Job 21:17 (no לְ); give a portion to, followed by לְ (no accusative expressed) Isaiah 53:12; a land Joel 4:2(no indirect object) Joshua 19:51 (P), also Micah 2:4; Psalm 60:8 = Psalm 108:8, Daniel 11:39; followed by accusative & לְ Joshua 13:7; Joshua 18:10; 1 Kings 18:6; Isaiah 34:17; Ezekiel 47:21; divide hair (symbolic) Ezekiel 5:1; divide spoil (שָׁלָל) Isaiah 9:2; Proverbs 16:19; Genesis 49:27 (poem), Exodus 15:9 (song); Judges 5:30; Psalm 68:13; Isaiah 53:12.
2 assign, distribute: Levites to their service, probably 1 Chronicles 23:6; 1 Chronicles 24:3 (see above)
3 scatter, followed by accusative Genesis 49:7 (poem) ("" הפיץ), Lamentations 4:16.
Pu`al Perfect חֻלַּק Isaiah 33:23; וְחֻלַּק consecutive Zechariah 14:1; Imperfect 3 feminine singular תְּחֻלָּ֑ק Amos 7:17; be divided, of land Amos 7:17; spoil Isaiah 33:23; Zechariah 14:1.
Hithpa`el Perfect וְהִתְחַלְּקוּ consecutive Joshua 18:5 divide (land) among themselves.
Hiph`il Infinitive לַחֲלִק Jeremiah 37:12; to receive a portion (denominative from חֵלֶק), but dubious
II. חָלַק verb be smooth, slippery (Late Hebrew adjective חָלָק smooth, empty, Arabic make smooth, lie, forge, fabricate) —
Qal Perfect ׳ח Hosea 10:2; 3 masculine plural חָֽלְקוּ Psalm 55:22; — smooth, slippery, only figurative: Hosea 10:2 of heart of faithless Israel (so Ew Ke Wü Now RVm), We FALSE; >Vrss (not ᵐ5) Hi St who read חֻלַּק, divided is their heart; ᵐ5 ἐμέρισαν; of words, smooth Psalm 55:22i.e. deceptive ("" רַכּוּ דְבָרָיומִשֶּׁמֶן).
Hiph`il Perfect הֶחֱלִיק Psalm 36:3, הֶחֱלִיקָה Proverbs 2:16; Proverbs 7:5; Imperfect יַחֲלִיקוּן Psalm 5:10; Participle מַחֲלִיק Proverbs 28:23 2t.; make smooth:
1 literally of idol-maker Isaiah 41:7 with accusative instrument מַּטִּישׁ hammer.
2 figurative the tongue, i.e. flatter with it Psalm 5:10; Proverbs 28:23, words Proverbs 2:16; Proverbs 7:5 אֲמָרֶיהָ הֶחֱלִיקָה; absolute deal smoothly, followed by אֶלֿ Psalm 36:3, עַל Proverbs 29:5.
חָלַק fut. יַחֲלֹק
(1) to be smooth. (Arabic خَلِقَ and خَلُقَ id.; but خَلقَ act. to form, to frame, to create, properly to smooth; kindred to which is حَلَقَ to cut off the hair; prop. to make smooth the head or chin. Many stocks of words, also in western languages, beginning with gl, especially with glc, have the signification of smoothness; as χαλκός, χάλιξ, smooth silex, calculus, κόλαξ, a smooth man, a flatterer = חָלָק No. 2; γλυκύς, the primary idea of which lies in touch; γλοῖος, γλίσχρος; Lat. glacies, glaber, gladius, glisco, gluten; Germ. glatt, gleiten, Glas, gleiben = glänzen; comp. Heb. גָּלַח, جلا to polish, etc.) Metaph. to be smooth, bland, of the heart, Hosea 10:2 of men themselves [rather their words or lips], Psalms 55:22.
(2) to divide, especially by lot, Joshua 14:5, 18:2 22:8. (This sense is derived from the noun חֵלֶק, which properly denotes a smooth stone, and hence signifies a lot, comp. Ch. חֵ8ָ71ל֫ק a stone used in reckoning, a lot, خَلَاقَةُ id. The Arabic حَلَقَ to destine, to predestine, is a secondary root; Eth. ኈለቈ huálekuá to number, to count among; ኑልቍ፡ húelqu number, lot; compare Aram. ܚܶܠܩܐܳ, חֶלְקָא חוּלְקָא a field divided by lot, an inheritance.) 2 Samuel 19:30; 1 Samuel 30:24, יַחְדָּו יַחֲלֹקוּ “they shall divide (amongst themselves) equally,” i.e. in equal portions. Proverbs 17:2, “he shall share the inheritance amongst the brethren,” i.e. shall have the same portion as they; compare Job 27:17 followed by עִס with whom anything is shared, Proverbs 29:24 followed by לְ to divide or impart to any one, Deuteron. 4:19 29:25 Nehemiah 13:13 followed by בְּ of the thing. Job 39:17, וְלֹא חָלַק לָהּ בַּבִּינָה “and he has not imparted to her in (or of) understanding;” comp. חֵלֶק No. 2, letter b.
(3) to despoil, from חֵלֶק No. 2, b. 2 Chronicles 28:21, “Ahaz despoiled the house of God, the house of the king, and the princes;” well rendered by the LXX. ἔλαβεν τὰ ἐν τῷ οἴκῳ, house being here used for the riches there kept, see בַּיִת No. 9.
(1) to be divided, to be apportioned, Numbers 26:53, 55 Numbers 26:55.
(2) to divide one’s self, Job 38:24; Genesis 14:15 a pregnant construction, וַיֵּחָלֶק עֲלֵיהֶם “and he divided himself against them,” i.e. made an attack upon them after having divided his forces.
(3) to divide amongst themselves, like Hithp. 1 Chronicles 23:6, וַיֵּחָֽלְקֵם “and he divided them,” 1 Chronicles 24:6. However, the preferable reading is וַיְחָֽלְקֵם, see Lehrgeb. p. 462.
(1) like Kal No. 2, to divide, e. g. booty, Genesis 49:27; Psalms 68:13 followed by לְ to divide amongst, 2 Samuel 6:19 Isai. 34:17. 1 Kings 18:6, וַיְחַלְּקוּ לָהֶם אֶת־הָאָרֶץ “and they divided the land between them.” Also i.q. to apportion, to allot, Job 21:17. Isaiah 53:12, אֲחַלֶּק־לוֹ בָרַבִּים “I will allot to him a portion amongst the mighty.”
(2) to disperse, Genesis 49:7; Lamentations 4:16.
Pual, to be divided, to be distributed, Isaiah 33:23; Amos 7:17; Zechariah 14:1.
(1) trans. of Kal No. 1, to make smooth, to smooth (used of an artificer), Isaiah 41:7. Metaph. to make the tongue smooth, to flatter, Psalms 5:10; Proverbs 28:23 “he uttered smooth words,” Proverbs 2:16, 7:5, i.e. flattered; or without these accusatives, Proverbs 29:5, גֶּבֶר מַחֲלִיק עַל־רֵעֵהוּ “a man who flatters his neighbour.” Psalms 36:3.
(2) causat. of Kal No. 2. Jeremiah 37:12, לַחֲלִק מִשָּׁם “to receive thence his portion” or inheritance. [In Thes. Gesenius speaks of the meaning of this word as being doubtful in this passage, suggesting the above meaning, and also the idea of to escape, to slip away, which appears the preferable rendering.]
Hithpael, to divide (amongst themselves). Joshua 18:5.
The derivatives immediately follow, except מַחֲלֹקֶת.