Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #1266 - διαμερίζω
- to cleave asunder, cut in pieces
- to be divided into opposing parts, to be at variance, in dissension
- to distribute
I divide, Pl. Phlb. 15e; distribute, τὸ ἐπιβάλλον Corn. ND 27; τοὺς πόνους εἰς ἅπαν τὸ σῶμα Arist. Pr. 885a18: — Pass., to be cut up, Pl. Lg. 849d.
II part, separate, Men. 883: — Med., divide or part among themselves, Matthew 27:35; πρὸς ἑαυτούς PAmh. 2.152.18 (v/vi A.D.): — Pass., to be set at variance, Luke 12:52-53.
διαμερίζω: imperfect διεμέριζον; 1 aorist imperative 2 person plural διαμερίσατε; passive (present διαμερίζομαι); perfect participle διαμεμερισμενος; 1 aorist διεμερίσθην; future διαμερισθήσομαι; (middle, present διαμερίζομαι; 1 aorist διεμερισαμην); to divide;
1. to cleave asunder, cut in pieces: ζῷα διαμερισθενα namely, by the butcher, Plato, legg. 8, p. 849 d.; according to a use peculiar to Luke in the passive, to be divided into opposing parts, to be at variance, in dissension: ἐπί τινα, against one, Luke 11:17f; ἐπί τίνι,
2. to distribute (Plato, polit., p. 289 c.; in the Sept. chiefly for חָלַק): τί, Mark 15:24 Rec.; τί τίνι, Luke 22:17 (where L T Tr WH εἰς ἑαυτούς for R G ἑαυτοῖς); Acts 2:45; passive Acts 2:3; middle to distribute among themselves: τί, Matthew 27:35; Mark 15:24 G L T Tr WH; Luke 23:34; with ἑαυτοῖς added (Matthew 27:35 Rec.); John 19:24 from Psalm 21:19
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
δια -μερίζω ,
[in LXX chiefly for H2505 pi.;]
1. to distribute: c. dat. pers., Acts 2:45; seq. εἰς , Luke 22:17, pass., Acts 2:3. Mid, to distribute among themselves: Matthew 27:35, Mark 15:24, Luke 23:34; with redundant ἑαυτοῖς , John 19:24 (LXX) (v. M, Pr., 157).
2. to divide, separate: pass., seq. ἐπί , c. acc, Luke 11:17-18; ἐπί , c. dat., Luke 12:52-53 †
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For διαμερίζω εἰς, as Luke 22:17, cf. P Lond 982.4 (iv/A.D.) (= III. p. 242) διεμερίσα [μεν ε ]ι ̣ς ̣ ε ̣̈̀αυτούς.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.