Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #5710 - עָדָה
1) to pass on, advance, go on, pass by, remove
1a) (Qal) to pass on, put on
1b) (Hiphil) to remove
1349) do (אהד AhD) AC: Repeat CO: ? AB: Witness: The pictograph o is a picture of the eye, the d is a picture of the door. Combined these mean "see the door". As coming to a tent a tent of meeting and entering in. A place, time or event that is repeated again and again.
Nf) do (אהד AhD) - I. Witness: II. Again:A repetition of time either definite or indefinite. [Hebrew and Aramaic] III. Until:A determinate period of time. KJV (269): witness, ever, everlasting, end, evermore, old, perpetually, by, as, when, how, yet, till, until, unto, for, to, but, on, within, filthy - Strongs: H1157 (בַּעַד), H5703 (עַד), H5704 (עַד), H5705 (עַד), H5707 (עֵד), H5708 (עִדָּה)
Nf1) edo (אהדה AhDH) - I. Company:A group with a common testimony. II. Witness:KJV (175): congregation, company, assembly, multitude, people, swarm, testimony, witness - Strongs: H5712 (עֵדָה), H5713 (עֵדָה)
V) edo (אהדה AhDH) - I. Adorn:To put on trappings which usually identify position or rank. II. Remove:[Unknown connection to root; Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (19): (vf: Paal, Hiphil) deck, adorn, take, pass, depart, alter, took, pass, remove - Strongs: H5709 (עֲדָה), H5710 (עָדָה)
V) doi (יאהד YAhD) - Meet: A coming together as two or an assembly. KJV (1): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hophal) meet, together, assemble, appoint, set, time, betroth, agree, gather - Strongs: H3259 (יָעַד)
am) dofm (מואהד MWAhD) - I. Appointment:A time that is repeated time after time. II. Company:A group that meet at specific times. KJV (224): congregation, feast, season, appointed, time, assembly, solemnity, solemn, days, sign, synagogue - Strongs: H4150 (מוֹעָדָה), H4151 (מוֹעָד)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
עָדָה Arab. عَدَا for عدو i.q. עָבַר
(1) to pass by, Job 28:8 whence עַד A, 1, and B, C, עֲדִי No. 1.
(2) to attack in a hostile manner, whence the Arabic عَدُوُّ an enemy, compare the synonyms עָבַר No. 5, b, חָלַף, הִלֵּךְ Hence עַד A, 2, booty.
(3) causat. to make to pass over, i.e. to put on ornaments (Germ. überziehen, anziehen), to adorn one-self with any thing; followed by an acc. like לָבַשׁ. (Ch. id.). Job 40:10 עֲדֵה־נָא גָּאוֹן “adorn thyself with majesty.” עָדָה עֱדִי to put on ornaments. Ezekiel 23:40; Jeremiah 4:30; Hosea 2:15; Jeremiah 31:4, תַּעְדִּי תֻפַּיִךְ “thou shalt adorn thyself with thy tabrets,” which, being put on the hands, adorned women when dancing.
(1) causat. of Kal No. 1, to remove, put away (as a garment), i.q. הֶעֱבִיר (Jonah 3:6) Proverbs 25:20.
(2) causat. of Kal No. 3, followed by two acc. to adorn any one with any thing, Ezekiel 16:11.
The derived nouns are, עַד, עֲדִי, עֵת for עֶדֶת (עַתָּה, עִתִּי), and the pr.n. עָדָה, עֲדִיאֵל, עֲדָיָה, עֲדִיתַיִם, יֶעְדּוֹ, מַעֲדַי, מַעֲדָיָה.
the Week of Proper 7 / Ordinary 12