the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #4853 - מַשָּׂא
Massa = “burden”
1) load, bearing, tribute, burden, lifting (noun masculine)
1a) load, burden
1b) lifting, uplifting, that to which the soul lifts itself up
1c) bearing, carrying
1d) tribute, that which is carried or brought or borne
2) utterance, oracle, burden (noun masculine)
3) a son of Ishmael (noun proper masculine)
1314) xn (נס NS) AC: Lift CO: Standard AB: Refuge: The pictograph n is a picture of a seed representing continuance, the x is a picture of a thorn representing the idea of grabbing hold. Combined these mean "continue to grab hold". The tribal flag that is hung from a horizontal pole and lifted up high and seen from a distance.
A) xn (נס NS) AC: ? CO: Standard AB: ?
Nm ) xn (נס NS) - Standard: A flag that hangs from a pole. Also a sail. KJV (20): standard, ensign, pole, banner, sail, sign - Strongs: H5251 (נֵס)
af1) exnm (מנסה MNSH) - Trial: [df: hom] KJV (5): temptation, trial - Strongs: H4531 (מַסָּה)
B) xxn (נסס NSS) AC: ? CO: Standard AB: ?
V) xxn (נסס NSS) - Standard: To lift up the standard. KJV (2): (vf: Paal) ensign, standard-bearer - Strongs: H5263 (נָסַס), H5264 (נָסַס)
C) xna (אנס ANS) AC: Compel CO: ? AB: ?: A grabbing hold.
V) xna (אנס ANS) - Compel: To grab hold of one to perform. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (2): (vf: Paal) compel - Strongs: H597 (אָנַס), H598 (אֲנַס)
E) axn (נסא NSA) AC: Lift CO: Burden AB: ?
V) axn (נסא NSA) - Lift: To lift up a burden or load and carry it. [Hebrew and Aramaic] [df: aVn] KJV (659): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Piel) bear, take, bare, carry, borne, amourbearer, forgive, accept, exalt, regard, obtain, respect - Strongs: H4984 (מִתְנַשֵּׂא), H5375 (נָסָה), H5376 (נְשָׂא)
Nf2 ) taxn (נסאת NSAT) - Gift: [df: taVn] KJV (1): gift - Strongs: H5379 (נִשֵּׂאת)
am ) axnm (מנסא MNSA) - Burden: [df: aVm] KJV (66): burden, son, prophecy, set, exaction, carry, tribute - Strongs: H4853 (מַשָּׂא)
af1 ) eaxnm (מנסאה MNSAH) - Burden: [df: haVm] KJV (1): burden - Strongs: H4858 (מַשָּׂאָה)
af2 ) taxnm (מנסאת MNSAT) - I. Burden:[df: taVm]II. Cloud:A cloud of smoke as lifted up from the fire. [df: taVm]KJV (15): burden, mess, collection, flame, gift, oblation, reward, sign, lift - Strongs: H4864 (מַשְׂאֵת)
bm ) aixn (נסיא NSYA) - Chief: The leader of a family, tribe or people as one who carries the burdens of the people. [df: ayVn aVn] KJV (132): prince, captain, chief, ruler, vapour, governor, cloud - Strongs: H5387 (נָשִׁא)
df1 ) eafxn (נסואה NSWAH) - Wagon: A vehicle for carrying burdens. [df: hawVn haVn] KJV (1): carriage - Strongs: H5385 (נְשֻׂאָה)
acm ) afxnm (מנסוא MNSWA) - Respect: In the sense of lifting one up. [df: aVm] KJV (1): respect - Strongs: H4856 (מַשּׂא)
H) exn (נסה NSH) AC: Test CO: ? AB: ?: A test to prove one is deserved of being lifted up.
V) exn (נסה NSH) - Test: KJV (36): (vf: Piel) prove, tempt, assay, adventure, try - Strongs: H5254 (נָסָה)
J) xfn (נוס NWS) AC: Flee CO: ? AB: Refuge: The family standard as the place of refuge that one flees to.
V) xfn (נוס NWS) - Flee: To run to the standard for safety. Also a fleeing to any safe place such as a city or mountain. KJV (161): (vf: Paal, Hiphil) flee, abate, display, flight, hide, lift - Strongs: H5127 (נוּס)
km) xfnm (מנוס MNWS) - Refuge: A place of safety. KJV (8): refuge, escape, flight, flee - Strongs: H4498 (מָנוֹס)
kf1) exfnm (מנוסה MNWSH) - Fleeing: KJV (2): flight, fleeing - Strongs: H4499 (מְנֻסָה)
M) xin (ניס NYS) AC: Flee CO: ? AB: ?: The family standard as the place of refuge that one flees to.
Nm) xin (ניס NYS) - Flee: KJV (1): flee - Strongs: H5211 (נִיס)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 load, burden of ass Exodus 23:5 (E), mules 2 Kings 5:17, camels 2 Kings 8:9, compare Isaiah 46:1,2; hanging on a peg Isaiah 22:25 (figurative); forbidden on Sabbath Jeremiah 17:21,22,24,27; Nehemiah 13:15,19; figurative of people as burden Numbers 11:11,17 (JE), Deuteronomy 1:12, compare עַלֿ׳הָיָה לְמ 2 Samuel 15:33; 2 Samuel 19:36 (אֶלֿ), also וָאֶהְיֶה עָלַי לְמַשָּׂא Job 7:20; of iniquities Psalm 38:5. — Hosea 8:10 read מְשֹׁחַ, so ᵐ5 We Now GASm.
2 verbal noun, lifting, uplifting, only נַפְשָׁם׳מ Ezekiel 24:25 the uplifting of their soul, i.e. that to which they lift up their soul, their heart's desire.
3 verbal noun, bearing, carrying, Numbers 4:24 (+ לַעֲבֹד), 2 Chronicles 20:25; 35:3 (בַּכָּתֵף), so probably 1 Chronicles 15:22 (twice in verse); 1 Chronicles 15:27 (compare Be Kau; > singing, uplifting of voice, e.g. Öttli); especially of responsibility and duty of bearing sacred vessels (often "" עֲבֹדָה, מְּקֻדָּה) Numbers 4:15,19,27 (twice in verse); Numbers 4:49, ׳עֲבֹדַת מ Numbers 4:47, ׳מִשְׁמֶרֶת מ Numbers 4:31; Numbers 4:32.
4 perhaps what is carried, brought, i.e. tribute ׳כֶּסֶף מ 2 Chronicles 17:11 silver as tribute (+ מִנְחָה; compare נשׂא
Qal; others, silver by the load i.e. in great quantity). — I. מַשָּׂא see above.
III. מַשָּׂא noun masculine Isaiah 14:28 utterance, oracle (compare נשׂא 1 b (6); Gf Jeremiah 23:33); — ׳מ absolute Isaiah 14:28 +; usually construct Isaiah 13:1 +; — of prophetic utterance: 2 Kings 9:25; Isaiah 14:28; Ezekiel 12:10; 2 Chronicles 24:27 (with עַל); בָבֶל׳מ Isaiah 13:1, מוֺאָב׳מ Isaiah 15:1, compare Isaiah 17:1; Isaiah 19:1; Isaiah 21:1,11; Isaiah 22:1; Isaiah 23:1; Isaiah 30:6; Nahum 1:1; בערב׳מ Isaiah 21:13 is later insert (Di); ׳מ = revelation, אֲשֶׁר חָזָה חֲבַקּוּק הַנָּבִיא׳הַמּ Habakkuk 1:1; ׳י׳מ utterance of ׳י Jeremiah 23:33,34,36,38 (3t. in verse) (compare 2 Kings 9:25), see also 2 Kings 9:33 b (read אַתֶּם הַמַּשָּׂא), with word-play, — followed by וְנָטַשְׁתִּי 2 Kings 9:36 b; ׳דְבַר י׳מ Zechariah 9:1 (+ בארץ), Zechariah 12:1 (+ עַליִֿשְׂרָאֵל), Malachi 1:1 (+ ׳אֶליִֿשׂ). — Proverbs 31:1 see I. מַשָּׂא, p. 601above; in Proverbs 30:1 read מִמַּשָּׂא from Massa (Mühlau, De), or הַמַּשָּׂאִי (Wild), which however is perhaps not original, but borrowed from Proverbs 31:1 (compare Wild on the passage Frankenb Spr. p. 5; corrupt name of Agur's home or tribe, Kau).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
(1) verbal inf. from the root נָשָׂא; a bearing, a carrying. Numbers 4:24, לַעֲבֹד וּלְמַשָּׂא “for labouring and for carrying.” 2 Chronicles 20:25, לְאֵין מַשָּׂא “that could not be carried;” compare 2 Chronicles 35:3. Subst. Numbers 4:19, 27, 31, 32, 47.
(2) a burden, load which is carried, 2 Kings 5:17; Jeremiah 17:21, seq.; Numbers 11:11. הָיָה לְמַשָּׂא it was as a burden, 2 Samuel 15:33, 19:36 followed by עַל Job 7:20.
(3) מַשָּׂא נֶפֶשׁ that to which the soul lifts itself up, i.e. what it desires, Ezekiel 24:25 compare the root No. 1, c.
(4) something uttered (see the root No. 1, letter f), a sentence, Proverbs 30:1 Collect 31:1, מַשָּׂא אֲשֶׁר יִסַּרְתּוֹ אִמּוֹ “the sentences which his mother taught him.” Specially something uttered by God, 2 Kings 9:25 or by a prophet, followed by a genit. of the object. Isai. 13:1 מַשָּׂא בָבֶל “the oracle (uttered) against Babylon.” Isai. 15:1 17:1 19:1 21:1, 11 Isaiah 21:11, 13 Isaiah 21:13, 22:1 23:1 Nahum 1:1; Habakkuk 1:1 also followed by בְּ Zechariah 9:1 עַל 12:1 אֶל Malachi 1:1. It is fully expressed מַשָּׂא דְבַר יְהֹוָה the utterance of the word of the Lord, Zechariah 9:1, 12:1. From מַשָּׂא being often found in the headings of denunciatory oracles, Jerome, Luther, and others render the word even in these instances onus, burden, and regard it as signifying a grievous or threatening oracle, see Jerome, Prol. ad Habac., and on Isaiah 13:1 but it is also found where it stands in a good sense, Zechariah 12:1; Malachi 1:1. There is a paronomasia on the two senses burden and oracle, Jeremiah 23:33, seq.; Ezekiel 12:10.
(5) singing (see the root No. 1, letter e). 1 Chronicles 15:27, הַשַּׂר הַמַּשָּׂא “the regulator (or leader) of the singing.” So LXX. ἄρχων τῶν ᾠδῶν, and Kimchi. Others take it to be the leader of the carrying, i.e. of the holy ark.
(6) a gift (compare נָשָׂא Pi. No. 2, 3); hence tribute, i.q. מִנְחָה No. 2. 2 Chronicles 17:11.
(7) [Massa], pr.n. of a son of Ishmael, Genesis 25:14; 1 Chronicles 1:30.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.