the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #7993 - שָׁלַךְ
1) to throw, cast, hurl, fling
1a1) to throw, cast, throw away, cast off, shed, cast down
1a2) to cast (lots) (figuratively)
1b1) to be thrown, be cast
1b2) to be cast forth or out
1b3) to be cast down
1b4) to be cast (metaphorically)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 usually human subject, throw, cast:
a. accusative of thing, with many preposition: e.g.אָל location 2 Kings 23:12; Ezekiel 5:4; Zechariah 5:8 (twice in verse) +, also (accusative of thing omitted) Exodus 15:25 (J), Numbers 19:6 (P) +; ב loc, Exodus 32:24 (E), Ezekiel 7:19 +; rarely ל location 2 Chronicles 30:14 and (accusative omitted) 2 Chronicles 24:10; עַל location 2 Kings 23:6, ָ ה locative Exodus 4:3 (twice in verse), שָׁ֫מָּה Judges 8:25; 2 Kings 6:6 (accusative omitted), etc.; especially of casting dead bodies, אֶל location Joshua 8:29 (J), Joshua 10:27 (J), + 3t., ב location Amos 8:3; 2 Kings 9:25,26. 2 Kings 13:21, מֵהָֽלְאָה לְ Jeremiah 22:19; accusative of thing + אֶל person 1 Kings 19:19; 2 Samuel 20:22 (accusative omitted); accusative of thing with עַל person Nahum 3:6; Judges 9:53; 2 Samuel 11:21 ( + מֵעַל), etc.; accusative of thing + מִיָּד Exodus 32:19 (E), compare Deuteronomy 9:17 (מֵעַל); + ל of animal Exodus 22:30 (E), Isaiah 2:20, etc.
b. with accusative of person, אֶל of pit Genesis 37:22 (E), Jeremiah 38:6,9, ב of pit Genesis 37:20 (E), with ה locative Genesis 37:24 (E; pit), Exodus 1:22 (J), compare Amos 4:3 (si vera lectio); תַּחַת location Genesis 21:15 (E); accusative ׳י, figurative, with אַחֲרֵי גַוֶּךָ֑ 1 Kings 14:9 (of apostasy), Ezekiel 23:35, so ׳י s law Nehemiah 9:26, words (אַחֲרֵי person reflexive) Psalm 50:17.
c. throw away, accusative of thing Judges 15:17 (מִיָּדוֺ), 2 Kings 7:15; Ezekiel 20:7,8; Psalm 2:3 (מִן reflexive), Ecclesiastes 3:5 (opposed to = כָּנַס); accusative omitted Jeremiah 7:29; Joel 1:7 (of locusts); absolute Ecclesiastes 3:6 (opposed to שָׁמַר); accusative of transgression Ezekiel 18:31 (figurative; מֵעַל reflexive).
d. cast off, shed, blossom (like flower) Job 15:33.
e. cast down (late), subject goat, accusative ram, Daniel 8:7 (אַ֫רְצָה) little horn, accusative אֱמֶת Daniel 8:12 ( id.); accusative of person (literal) 2 Chronicles 25:12 (מִן local), Job 18:7 his (own) counsel felleth him; so probably Jeremiah 9:18 they have overthrown our dwellings (Du reads Hoph`al).
f. figurative, Psalm 55:23 cast ׳עליֿ thy lot.
a. cast, accusative of thing, + עַל person Joshua 10:11 (E), Job 27:22 (accusative of thing omitted); sandal upon Edom Psalm 60:10 = Psalm 108:10 (sign of possession); ice (no preposition) Psalm 147:17.
b. accusative of person + ב location 2 Kings 2:16 (subject ׳רוּחַ י), Nehemiah 9:11; Jonah 2:4 ( + accusative of location); + אַ֫רְצָה Ezekiel 28:17 (figurative); אֶל location (of exile) Deuteronomy 29:27; especially of ׳י s rejecting men, accusative of person + מֵעַל מָּנָיו 2 Kings 13:23; 2 Kings 24:20, compare 2 Kings 17:20; Jeremiah 7:15 (twice in verse); Jeremiah 52:3, also Psalm 51:13 and (without מִן) Psalm 71:9; casting sins (accusative) אַחֲרֵי גֵּוְךָ Isaiah 38:17, ב location Micah 7:19.
c. cast down, honour of Israel + accusative of location, מִן local, Lamentations 2:1; accusative of person Psalm 102:11 (opposed to נָשָׂא).
3 phrases:הִשׁי גּוֺרָל Joshua 18:8,10 (R D) cast lots ל in behalf of; חֶבֶל בְגוֺרָל׳מַשׁ Micah 2:5 (see גּוֺרָל
3, I. חֶבֶל 2); ׳בַּיְאוֺר חַכָּה מַשׁ Isaiah 19:8i.e. fishermen; וַיַּשְׁלֵח נַפְשׁוֺ מִנֶּגֶד Judges 9:17, see נֶגֶד 2 c; טָ֑רֶף׳מִשּׁנָּיו אַשׁ Job 29:17 out of his teeth I cast the prey.
Hoph`al Perfect 3 masculine singular הֻשְׁלַח Daniel 8:11; 2 masculine singular הָשְׁלַכְתָּ Isaiah 14:19, etc.; Imperfect 2 feminine singular וַתֻּשְׁלְכִי Ezekiel 16:5; 3 masculine plural יֻשְׁלָ֑כוּ Isaiah 34:3; Participle מֻשְׁלָח 2 Samuel 20:21, etc.; —
1 be thrown, cast, accusative of head, אֶל person + בְּעַד of wall 2 Samuel 20:21; carcass, ב location 1 Kings 13:24,25,28; Jeremiah 14:16; לַחֹרֶב Jeremiah 36:30.
2 be cast forth, out, absolute of dead Isaiah 34:3; מִן of grave Isaiah 14:19; אֶלמְּֿנֵי הַשָּׁדֶה Ezekiel 16:5 (Jerusalem personified as infant); עַלהָֿאָרֶץ Jeremiah 22:28 (of exile).
3 be cast down, לָאָרֶץ Ezekiel 19:12 (Israel, figurative of vine); absolute of sanctuary Daniel 8:11.
4 metaphor, be cast, על of ׳י Psalm 22:11 (i.e. on his protection).
שָׁלַךְ not used in Kal (cognate to שָׁלַח).
(1) to cast, to throw, Genesis 21:15; Numbers 35:20, 22 Numbers 35:22 to cast away, 2 Kings 7:15; Ezekiel 20:8; Ecclesiastes 3:6 (opp. to שָׁמַר to retain); to cast about, as stones, Ecclesiastes 3:5 (opp. to כָּנַס to collect). Const. followed by אֶל of the place into which anything is cast (into a pit, into water, into fire), Genesis 37:22; Numbers 19:6; Deuteronomy 9:21; Jeremiah 26:23 also, followed by בְּ Genesis 37:20; Exodus 32:24; Micah 7:19 followed by עַל of the person at whom anything is cast (auf jem werfen), Judges 9:53. Job 27:22, יַשְׁלֵךְ עָלָיו “he will cast upon him,” sc. arrows, he will shoot at him; followed by לְ to cast anything (to a dog), Exodus 22:30 followed by מִן of place, to cast (any person or thing) out of a place, Nehemiah 13:8; Deuteronomy 29:27 to pluck, Job 29:17, מִשִּׁנָּיו אַשְׁלִיךְ טֶרֶף “from his teeth I plucked the prey;” followed by מִמֶּנּוּ, מֵעָלָיו to cast away, throw off (von fich werfen), Psalms 2:3; Ezekiel 18:31.-The following phrases are figuratively used
(a) הִשְׁלִיךְ נַפְשׁוֹ מִנֶּגֶד i.e. to expose one’s life to the greatest danger; Gr. παραβάλλεσθαι τὴν ψυχήν, Il. ix. 322 (whence the Lat. parabolanus).
(b) הִשְׁלִיךְ אַחֲרָיו Psalms 50:17, and אַחֲרֵי גַוּוֹ to cast (anything) behind one, behind one’s back, i.e. to neglect, to despise, 1 Kings 14:9; Nehemiah 9:26; Isaiah 38:17; Ezekiel 23:35. (As to the same phrase in Arabic, see my Comment. on Isa. loc. cit.)
(c) הִשְׁלִיךְ עַל יְיָ to cast anything upon God, i.e. to commit to his care, Psalms 55:23 (compare 37:5 ).
(d) יְיָ הִשְׁלִיךְ פּ׳ מֵעַל פָּנָיו God has rejected or expelled any one from his presence, i.e. he has rejected him, cast him off, 2 Kings 13:23, 17:20 24:20 2 Chronicles 7:20; Jeremiah 7:15.
(2) to cast down, to overthrow, as a house, Jeremiah 9:18. Metaph. Job 18:7, וְתַשְׁלִיכֵהוּ עֲצָתוֹ “and his own counsel shall cast him down.”
Hophal הָשְׁלַךְ and הֻשְׁלַךְ
(1) to be cast, to be thrown, to be cast out, Isaiah 14:19 (where we must not join, “thou art cast out from thy sepulchre,” but, “thou art cast out without thy sepulchre,” i.e. which was thy due); followed by בְּ and אֶל of place 2 Samuel 20:21; Jeremiah 14:16; Ezekiel 16:5 followed by לְ to be cast forth (delivered) to any one, Jeremiah 36:30. Metaph. Psalms 22:11, עָלֶיךָ הָשְׁלַכְתִי מֵרֶחֶם “I was cast upon thee from the womb,” i.e. I committed my affairs to thee.
(2) pass. of Hiphil No. 2, Daniel 8:11. Hence