the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #5324 - נָצַב
1) to stand, take one’s stand, stand upright, be set (over), establish
1a1) to station oneself, take one’s stand
1a2) to stand, be stationed
1a3) to stand, take an upright position
1a4) to be stationed, be appointed
1a5) deputy, prefect, appointed, deputed (substantive)
1a6) to stand firm
1b1) to station, set
1b2) to set up, erect
1b3) to cause to stand erect
1b4) to fix, establish
1c) (Hophal) to be fixed, be determined, be stationary
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
הַצָּלָה see below נצל.
נָצַב verb Niph`al take one's stand, stand (Late Hebrew נִצָּב id. (rare), הַצָּבָה noun taking a stand; Phoenician (Punic) נצב, מנצבת, מצבת monument Lzb325; Nabataean, Palmyrene נצב set up; Zinjirli id., statue, all Lzb325 Cook82; Palmyrene מצבא image, Nabataean נצב id., DHM VOJ viii (1894), 12, compare Lzb l.c.; perhaps Assyrian naƒâbu Tel Amarna, Wkl TA 24*b; Aramaic נְצַב, ; Arabic set up, erect, sign, Mark , way-mark; Sabean נצב cippus CIS iv. 23 SabDenkm95 DHM ZMG xxx (1876), 115f. Derenb James , 1883, Aug.-Sept. 244; Minaean מצב statue (= מנצב HOM Südar. Chrest. 128); —
Niph`al Perfect 3 feminine singular נִצְּבָה Psalm 45:10, נִצָּ֫בָה Genesis 37:7; Proverbs 8:2; 2 masculine singular וְנִצַּבְתָּ֫ Exodus 7:15 2t.; 3 plural נִצְּבוּ Exodus 15:8, וְנִצְּבוּ consecutive Exodus 33:8; Participle נִצָּב Genesis 24:13 +, feminine נִצָּבָה Zechariah 11:16 נִצֶּ֫בֶת 1 Samuel 1:26; masculine plural נִצָּבִים Exodus 5:20 +; feminine plural נִצָּבוֺת 1 Samuel 1:26; —
1. a. station oneself, take one's stand, for definite purpose, with עַל location ( by, on) Genesis 24:13,43; Genesis 28:13; Exodus 7:15; Exodus 33:21; Exodus 34:2 (all J), Exodus 17:9; Exodus 18:14 (E), Numbers 23:6,17 (JE); Amos 7:7; Amos 9:1; Proverbs 8:2; of ׳י Isaiah 3:13 taketh his stand to plead; with ב location Exodus 5:20; Psalm 82:1 (of God), compare Numbers 22:23,31,34; עִמְּכָה׳נ 1 Samuel 1:26; ׳לִפְנֵי י Deuteronomy 29:9; with פֶתַח Numbers 16:27 (JE), Judges 18:16,17; absolute Lamentations 2:4 (on text see Löhr).
b. stand = be stationed (by appointment, or in fulfilment of duty), with עַל person (sitting or lying) Genesis 45:1 1 Samuel 4:20; 1 Samuel 22:6,7,17; לְַמִֿשְׁמַרְתַּי׳נ Isaiah 21:8 stand at my watchman's post ("" עֹמֵד); לִמִינְךָ Psalm 45:10; absolute 2 Samuel 13:31.
c. take an upright position, stand, ׳יָקוּמוּ וְנ Exodus 33:8 (E; + מֶּתַח location), compare Genesis 37:7 (E; of sheaf); of waters, כְמוֺנֵֿד׳נ Exodus 15:8 (song).
2 be stationed = appointed over (על), 1 Samuel 22:9; Ruth 2:5,6; with Samuel presiding over (על) them 1 Samuel 19:20. Hence
3 Participle as substantive deputy, prefect ( as appointed, deputed), only 1 Kings 4:5,7; 1 Kings 5:7; 1 Kings 5:30; 1 Kings 9:23; 2 Chronicles 8:10 (all of Solomon's officers; so also 2 Chronicles 8:10 Qr, < Kt נציב), 1 Kings 22:48 (of Edom).
4 stand firm, figurative כָּלאָֿדָם נִצָּב Psalm 39:6 every man, (even) the firm-standing, is wholly vanity (but expression strange, and text dubious); בַּשָּׁמָ֑יִם׳נ Psalm 119:89 (of ׳י's word); that which stands firm Zechariah 11:16 (Israel under figure of sheep), but dubious; We GASm leave untranslated; Now proposes הַנַּחֲלָה diseased.
Hiph`il Perfect הִצִּיב 1 Kings 16:34; 2 masculine singular הִצַּבְתָּ Genesis 21:29; Psalm 74:17; 3 masculine plural הִצִּ֫יבוּ Jeremiah 5:26; Imperfect יַצִּיב Joshua 6:26, יַצֵּב Deuteronomy 32:8 (dubious; in poetry for ׳וַיּ Ew§ 233 a Di; rhythmical shortening Ges§ 109k; read יַצִּב Dr Da Synt. p. 94), וַיַּצֶּבֿ 2 Samuel 18:18; suffix וַיַּצִּיבֵ֫נוּ Lamentations 3:12 Imperative feminine singular הַצִּ֫יבִי Jeremiah 31:21; Infinitive construct הַצִּיב 1 Samuel 13:21; 1 Chronicles 18:3; Participle מַצִּיב 1 Samuel 15:12 (but read הִצִּיבᵐ5 We Dr Bu Kit HPS): —
1 station, set: with accusative, ewes Genesis 21:28; Genesis 28:29 (E; לְבַד apart), trap Jeremiah 5:26; figurative set me before thee (לְפָנֶיךָ) Psalm 41:13; set me as a target Lamentations 3:12.
2 set up, erect pillar (מַצֵּבָה) Genesis 35:14,20 (E), 2 Samuel 18:18, + אֲשֵׁרִים 2 Kings 17:10; altar Genesis 33:20 (E), stone-heap 2 Samuel 18:17; monument (יַד) 1 Samuel 15:12; city-gates (with ב), Joshua 6:26 (JE) = 1 Kings 16:34.
3 cause to stand erect, waters, כְּמוֺנֵֿד Psalm 78:13 (compare
Qal Exodus 15:8).
4 fix, establish boundary (subject ׳י) Deuteronomy 32:8; Psalm 74:17; Proverbs 15:15; dominion (יַדׅ 1 Chronicles 18:3 (of king). — 1 Samuel 13:21 is dubious; AV sharpen, RV set; Kit ' gerade machen'; Klo נִצַּב substantive, see below; compare HPS.
Hoph`al Perfect 3 masculine singular הֻצַּב Nahum 2:8 it is fixed, determined (Kl Or), but very dubious; perhaps proper name, or epithet, of queen, compare We Now GASm, q. v.; Participle סֻלָּם נֻצּב אַ֫רְצָה Genesis 28:12 (E) a ladder set up on the earth; ׳אֵלוֺן מ Judges 9:6, read אֵלוֺן הַמַּצֵּבָה GFM, see below — compare also יצב
[נִצְבָּה] noun feminine firmness (see Biblical Hebrew נצב); — emphatic נִצְבְּתָא Daniel 2:41.
נָצַב to set, to put, to place, i.q. יָצַב, which see. Arab. نصب id.
(1) to be put, set; followed by עַל to be set over any thing, 1 Samuel 22:9; Ruth 2:5,. Part. נִצָּב an officer, director, 1 Kings 4:5, 1 Kings 4:7, 5:30 9:23.
(2) to set oneself, to be ready, Exodus 7:15, 17:9 followed by לְ for any one, Exodus 34:2, וְנִצַּבְתָּ לִי שָׁם “and present thyself there for me.”
(3) to stand, spoken of persons, Genesis 37:7 [but it is in this passage a sheaf]; Psal. 45:10 Lamentations 2:4 of waters, Exodus 15:8 especially to stand firmly, Psal. 39:6, הֶבֶל כָּל־אָדָם נִצָּב “every man (although) firmly standing (is) vanity.” Zechariah 11:16, “the shepherd … הַנִּצָּבָה לֹא יְכַלְכֵּל (who) does not nourish that which is standing;” i.e. the cattle which are in good health, which are sound. So LXX. το ὁλόκληρον. Vulg. id quod stat. But perhaps it may be more suitable to the context, “(who) does not take up (the cattle) which stands still in the way;” i.e. loiters from weariness, weakness, and disease; the weak, therefore, and sick; compare Arabic نَصَِب to be wearied, to labour, (pr. I believe, to stand still, to stop, nicht fort können).
(1) to make to stand, Psalms 78:13 hence to put, to place, Genesis 21:28, 29 Genesis 21:29; Jeremiah 5:26 to erect, to set, as a column, Genesis 35:20 an altar, 33:20 a monument, 1 Samuel 15:12 comp. Jeremiah 31:21. 1 Samuel 13:21, לְהַצִּיב הַדָּרְבָן “to set up the goads,” i.e. to sharpen them when the goad was blunted by the point being bent back.
(2) to fix, to establish, e.g. bounds, Psalms 74:17; Deuteronomy 32:8; Proverbs 15:25.
Hophal הָצַּב and הֻצַּב
(1) to be placed, set, Genesis 28:12.
(2) to be planted, Judges 9:6 [In Thes. this passage is referred to מֻצָּב; ] (so the Arab. نصب; also Syr. and Chaldee).
(3) to be fixed, settled. So it is commonly taken in the difficult passage, Nahum 2:8, וְהֻצּב גֻּלְּתָה הֹעֲלָתָֽה “it is fixed! she (Nineveh) shall be carried away captive.” But I have no doubt that וְהֻצָּב should be joined to the preceding verse, and regarded as being from the root צָבַב; see that word.
Derived nouns נִצָּב, נְצִיב, מַצָּב, מִצָּבָה, מַצָּבָה, מַצֵּבָה, מֻצָּב מַצֶּבֶת, and pr.n. צוֹבָה for נְצוֹבָה.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.