Consider helping today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1792 - דָּכָא
1) to crush, be crushed, be contrite, be broken
1a1) to be crushed
1a2) to be contrite (figuratively)
1b) (Piel) to crush
1c1) to be crushed, be shattered
1c2) to be made contrite
1d) (Hithpael) to allow oneself to be crushed
1080) kd (דכ DK) AC: Crush CO: Mortar AB: ?: The pictograph d is a door representing the idea of moving back and forth. The k is a picture of the palm of the hand representing a bowl from its shape. Combined these pictures mean "the moving back and forth in a cup". Seeds are placed in a stone mortar, a stone cup, the stone pestle is moved around the cup to crush the seeds into a powder.
V) kkd (דככ DKK) - Small: To crush or beat something into small pieces. [Hebrew and Aramaic] [df: qqd] KJV (23): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Hophal) beat small, powder, stamp, bruise, small, dust, beat in pieces, break in pieces - Strongs: H1854 (דָּקַק), H1855 (דְּקַק)
Nm ) kid (דיכ DYK) - Siege works: Engines of war constructed next to a city wall for the purpose of battering it into pieces to allow entry into the city. [df: qyd] KJV (6): fort - Strongs: H1785 (דָּיֵק)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
דָּכָא i.q. דָּכָה to be broken in pieces, crushed, not used in Kal. Compare דָּכַךְ.
(1) to break in pieces, to crush. Psalms 72:4, וִידַכֵּא עוֹשֵׁק “and he shall break in pieces the oppressor;” Psal. 89:11 143:3 Job 6:9, וְיֹאֵל אֱלוֹהַּ וִידַכְּאֵנִי “and oh! that God would crush me!” Metaph. Job 19:2, וּתְדַכְּאוּנַּנִי בְמִלִּים “and (how long) will you break me in pieces with words?”
(2) to trample (with the feet). Lamentations 3:34, and hence to oppress (an inferior), Isaiah 3:15 Psal. 94:5 especially in the administration of justice, Proverbs 22:22.
Niphal, part. oppressed, broken in spirit, Isaiah 57:15.
(1) to be broken, broken to pieces, used of the arm, Job 22:9.
(2) to be bruised, smitten (with stripes), Isaiah 53:3.
(3) to be crushed, humbled, broken in spirit through grief, Isaiah 19:10; Jeremiah 44:10.
Hithpael הִדַּכָּא pass. of Piel No. 2, Job 5:4, 34:25. The derivatives follow.
the Second Week of Advent