the First Week of Advent
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #06696 - צוּר
1) to bind, besiege, confine, cramp
1a1) to confine, secure
1a2) to shut in, beseige
1a3) to shut up, enclose
2) (Qal) to show hostility to, be an adversary, treat as foe
3) (Qal) to form, fashion, delineate
Nm ) ry (תסר TsR) - I. Enemy:One who closes in with pressure. II. Strait:A narrow tight place or situation. KJV (105): enemy, adversary, trouble, distress, affliction, foe, narrow, strait, flint, sorrow - Strongs: H6862 (צָר)
V) rya (אתסר ATsR) - I. Belt:To wrap around tightly. [df: rza]II. Store:To store up something in a safe place as if bound up. KJV (21): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Piel) gird, bind, compass, store, treasure - Strongs: H247 (אָזַר), H686 (אָצַר)
gf) refy (תסוהר TsWHR) - Shining: Something that shines bright. Also noon as the brightest part of the day. From the glistening of olive oil. [df: rhz] KJV (26): brightness, noon, noonday, day, midday, window - Strongs: H2096 (זֹהַר), H6672 (צָהֳרַיִם)
V) rfy (תסור TsWR) - Press: [df: rwz] KJV (41): (vf: Paal) besiege, siege, distress, bind, adversary, assault, bag, beset, cast, fashion, fortify, inclose, bind, crush, closed, thrust - Strongs: H2115 (זוּר), H6696 (צוּר)
Nm ) rfy (תסור TsWR) - Flint: A very hard rock that when fractured forms a razor sharp edge. Used for knives, spears or arrowheads. KJV (80): rock, strength, sharp, god, beauty, edge, stone, mighty, strong, stone, flint - Strongs: H6697 (צֻר), H6864 (צֹר)
V) ryi (יתסר YTsR) - Press: To pressed or squeeze out of shape or into a shape as when pressing clay into a shape. KJV (71): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hophal, Pual) distressed, straitened, straits, vex, narrow, form, potter, fashion, maker, frame, make, former, earthen, purpose - Strongs: H3334 (יָצַר), H3335 (יָצַר)
Nm) riy (תסיר TsYR) - I. Pain:A pressing pain. II. Idol:As pressed out of clay. III. Hinge:As pressed. The weight of the door rested on the hinge. IV. Messenger:KJV (14): ambassador, messenger, pain, pang, sorrow, idol, hinge - Strongs: H6735 (צִיר), H6736 (צִיר)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 2 masculine singularוְצַרְתָּ֫ Deuteronomy 14:25, etc.; Imperfect 3 masculine singular וַיָּ֫צַר 1 Kings 20:1 +, 2 masculine singular תָּצוּר Deuteronomy 20:19, etc.; Imperative feminine singular צוּרִ֫י Isaiah 21:2 (after עֲלִי Kö i. 444, compare Ges§ 72 s); Infinitive construct לָצוּר 1 Samuel 23:8; Participle plural צָרִים 1 Kings 15:27 +; —
1 confine, secure ("" I. צרר), accusative of thing + ב of receptacle Deuteronomy 14:25; 2 Kings 5:23; Ezekiel 5:3; complem. omitted 2 Kings 12:11.
2 shut in, besiege, with עַל of city 2 Samuel 11:1; 1 Kings 15:27; 1 Kings 16:17; 1 Kings 20:1; 2 Kings 6:24,25; 2 Kings 17:5; 2 Kings 18:9; 2 Kings 24:11; Isaiah 29:3 (+ accusative of siege-works), Jeremiah 32:2; Jeremiah 37:5; Jeremiah 39:9; Deuteronomy 20:12; Ezekiel 4:3; Daniel 1:1; with עַל person (within city) 2 Samuel 20:15; 2 Kings 16:5; Jeremiah 21:4,9; with אֶל of city (for עַל) Deuteronomy 20:19; with אֶל person 1 Samuel 23:8; with אֵת of city only 1 Chronicles 20:1 ("" 2 Samuel 11:1 above); absolute Isaiah 21:2. — הִנָּם צָרִים אֶתהָֿעִיר עָלֶיךָ Judges 9:31 is corrupt; Frankenb Richterbuch 28 Bu GFM Hpt Now מְעִרִים inciting against.
3 shut up, enclose: נָצוּר עָלֶיהָ לוּחַ אָ֑רֶז Song of Solomon 8:9 (על of maid [under figure of door] + accusative mater., compare Isaiah 29:3 above); with suffix person Psalm 139:5 (figurative, ׳י subject).
III. [צוּר] verb shew hostility to, treat as foe (with accusative of person) (akin to II. צרר, to which SS assign the forms, but compare Arabic act unjustly, also defraud; Syriac , rival wife); —
Qal Perfect 1 singular וְצַרְתִּ֫י אֶתצֹֿרֲרֶיךָ Exodus 23:22 (subject ׳י; "" וְאָיַבְתִּ֫י אֶתאֹֿיְבֶיךָ); Imperfect 2 masculine singular אַלתָּֿ֫צַראֶתמֿוֺאָב Deuteronomy 2:9; 2 masculine plural suffix אַלתְּֿצֻרֵם Deuteronomy 2:19; Participle הַצָּרִים אוֺתָם Esther 8:11.
IV. [צוּר] verb fashion, delineate (Late Hebrew id.; so Aramaic צוּר, , ; picture, Sabean צור, plural צורת Hom Chrest.125 Mordtm Him. Inschr. 14.15; Arabic is loan-word according to Frä272); — Perfect 2 masculine singular וְצַרְתָּ֫ Ezekiel 43:11 (for ᵑ0צוּרַת) according to ᵐ5. We Sm Co Toy Berthol Krae, and thou shalt delineate the house (compare הַגֵּד Ezekiel 43:10, הוֺדַע וּכְתֹב Ezekiel 43:11); Imperfect 3 masculine singular וַיָּ֫צַר אֹתוֺ בַּחֶרֶט Exodus 32:4 (E) and fashioned it [the gold] with a graving-tool; וַיָּ֫צַר אֶתשְֿׁנֵי הָֹעַמּוּדִים 1 Kings 7:15 (+ accusative mater.), read (יצק) וַיִּצֹּק, so ᵐ5 SS Kit Benz compare Th; 1 singular suffix אצורך Jeremiah 1:5 Kt, see יצר
צוּר fut. יָצוּר, apoc. וַיָּצַר (like the kindred root צָרַר), to straiten, to press upon, to compress; hence
(1) to bind together (into a bundle or roll), i.q. צָרַר No. 1. Pret. צַרְתָּ Deuteronomy 14:25 וַיָּצֻרוּ 2 Kings 12:11 וַיָּצַר 5:23.
(2) to press with siege, to besiege a city, followed by an acc. of the city, 1 Chronicles 20:1 more often followed by עַל Deuteronomy 20:12; Ezekiel 4:3; Daniel 1:1 אֶל Deuteronomy 20:19 absol. Isai. 21:2 also followed by עַל 2 Samuel 20:15 and אֶל 1 Samuel 23:8, of the person besieged in the city. Once with acc. and עַל of the city, Isaiah 29:3, צַרְתִּי עָלַיִךְ מֻצָּב i.e. “I will push forward hosts (of soldiers) against thee” (ich fchiebe vor gegen dich). Metaph. Psalms 139:5, אָחוֹר וָקֶדֶם צַרְתָּנִי “thou besettest me on every side,” so that I cannot flee from thee.
(3) to urge, to press upon any one in pursuit, i.q. צָרַר No. 4, Deuteronomy 2:9; Exodus 23:22. Part. צָרִים Esther 8:11 also to stir up any one, to urge him to rise, Judges 9:31.
(4) to cut (pr. to press with a knife, compare גָּדַד to press, to cut), to divide. Arab. صار Med. Waw id. Hence צוּר edge.
(5) to form, i.q. יָצַר (derived from the idea of cutting), Arab. صَوَّرَ id., fut. וַיָּצַר Exodus 32:4; 1 Kings 7:15 and אֲצוּרְךָ Jeremiah 1:5 בתיב. (Aram. id.)
Derivatives, צוּרִישַׁדַּי־צוּר, צָר, צֵר, צִיר, צֹר, מָצוֹר, מְצוּרָה, צַוָּאר.
(1) stone, pebble (so called as being a compact solid mass. Others take it as pr. a piece of rock, see No. 2), Isaiah 8:14. Job 22:24, צוּר נְחָלִים “the pebbles of the brooks” (compare Gramm. § 106, 3, c).
(2) a rock, Job 18:4, 24:8 metaph. used of God, the refuge and protection of Israel, Isaiah 30:29; Deuteronomy 32:37, “the rock where they took refuge;” Psalms 18:3, 32 Psalms 18:32, 47 Psalms 18:47. By another figure (drawn from a quarry), it is applied to the founder of a nation. Isaiah 51:1. Pl. צוּרוֹת Job 28:10.
(3) edge, from the root No. 4. Psalms 89:44, צוּר חֶרֶב “the edge of a sword,” according to which analogy, Joshua 5:2, Joshua 5:3, חַרְבוֹת צוּרִים are sharp knives, compare צֹר Exodus 4:25 and so Ch. But LXX., Vulg., Syr., Arab. understand it to mean knives made of stone (compare צוּר No. 1) which the ancient Orientals used in castrating and circumcising. I wonder that those who hold this opinion (such as Maurer on Jos. loc. cit.) should have neglected the words added by the LXX. Joshua 24:30, ἐκεῖ ἔθηκαν εἰς τὸ μνῆμα εἰς ὃ ἔθαψαν αὐτὸν (Joshua) ἐκεῖ τὰς μαχαίρας τὰς πετρίνας, ἐν αἷς περιέτεμε τοὺς υἱοὺς Ἰσραήλ … καὶ ἐκεῖ εἰσιν ἕως τῆς σήμερον ἡμέρας. This is worthy of remark, inasmuch as it clearly proves that stone knives were found in Palestine, as well as in Germany. Hence
(4) form, Psalms 49:15 קרי; French taille, from tailler; from the root No. 4, 5.
(5) [Zur], pr.n. m.
(a) of a leader of the Midianites, Numbers 25:15, 31:8 Joshua 13:21.
(b) 1 Chronicles 8:30, 9:36.