the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #7592 - שָׁאֵל
1) to ask, enquire, borrow, beg
1a1) to ask, ask for
1a2) to ask (as a favour), borrow
1a3) to enquire, enquire of
1a4) to enquire of, consult (of deity, oracle)
1a5) to seek
1b) (Niphal) to ask for oneself, ask leave of absence
1c1) to enquire, enquire carefully
1c2) to beg, practise beggary
1d1) to be given on request
1d2) to grant, make over to, let (one) ask (successfully) or give or lend on request (then) grant or make over to
V) las (סהאל ShAL) - Ask: To seek to understand what is not known. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (179): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Piel) ask, enquire, desire, require, borrow, salute, demand, lent, request, beg - Strongs: H7592 (שָׁאֵל), H7593 (שְׁאֵל)
V) els (סהלה ShLH) - I. Mislead:[Hebrew and Aramaic] II. Rest:[Aramaic only] KJV (4): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil) negligent, deceive, take, rest - Strongs: H7952 (שָׁלָה), H7953 (שָׁלָה), H7954 (שְׁלֵה)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 masculine singular׳שׁ Judges 5:25 +, שָׁאָ֑ל Judges 8:26 2t.; consecutive וְשָׁ֫אַל לוֺ Numbers 27:21; suffix וּשְׁאֵלְךָ consecutive Genesis 32:18 (Ges§ 64 f), וּשְׁאֵלֵךְ consecutive Judges 4:20; 1 singular suffix שְׁאִלְתִּיו 1 Samuel 1:20, שְׁאִלְתִּיהוּ Judges 13:16; 3 plural suffix שְׁאֵלוּנוּ Psalm 137:3; 2 masculine plural שְׁאֶלְתֶּם 1 Samuel 12:13 (strike out ᵐ5 Th We Dr and most), Job 21:29, וּשְׁאֶלָתֶּםֿ consecutive 1 Samuel 25:5, etc.; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יִשְׁאַל Exodus 22:13 + ,etc.; Imperative שְׁאַל Isaiah 7:11 +, שְׁאָלוּנִי Isaiah 45:11 ( < תִּשְׁאְֵלוּנִי Weir Che and others), etc.; Infinitive absolute שָׁאוֺל Genesis 43:7 +; construct לִשְׁאֹל Judges 1:14 +, etc.; Participle active שֹׁאֵל 2 Samuel 3:13 +, feminine singular שֹׁאֶלֶת 1 Kings 2:20,22, masculine plural הַשֹּׁאֲלִים 1 Samuel 8:10; passive שָׁאוּל 1 Samuel 1:28; 2 Kings 6:5; —
1. a. ask, ask for, accusative of thing (or person) Judges 5:25; Judges 8:26; 1 Kings 3:10; Psalm 122:6 (= pray for) +; אֶתנַֿפְשׁוֺ לָמוּת׳שׁ 1 Kings 19:4; Jonah 4:8, i. e. pray for death, but Job 31:30 demand the life of another בְּאָלָה by a curse; with ל person 1 Kings 2:22 (twice in verse) + (ל person reflexive) 1 Samuel 12:17,19 +; with מִן person Judges 8:24 (accusative of congnate meaning with verb), Ezra 8:22; Zechariah 10:1+; followed by infinitive 1 Kings 3:11; followed by clause מָה אֶתֶּןלָֽֿךְ׃׳שׁ 1 Kings 3:5 2 Chronicles 1:7, compare 2 Kings 2:9; with accusative + מֵאֵת person 1 Samuel 8:10; Psalm 27:4(from ׳י) +; + מֵעִם person Isaiah 7:11 (from ׳י) +; with accusative of person (from whom) + of thing Psalm 137:3; accusative omitted Isaiah 7:12; 1 Samuel 12:20; 1 Kings 2:20, with מִן person Psalm 2:8; absolute Micah 7:3; Psalm 105:40 (of prayer); הִקְשִׁיתָ לִשְׁאוֺל 2 Kings 2:10, i.e. thou hast asked for a difficult thing. — 1 Samuel 2:20 see
Hiph`il b. specifically ask as a favour, for temporary use, i.e. borrow (compare לָוָה, as matter of business, see Bu 1 Samuel 1:28), Exodus 22:13 (E; accusative of thing + מֵעִם person), 2 Kings 4:3 (accusative of thing + מִן of source + ל person reflexive), 2 Kings 6:5 (passive participle absolute); so also (according to many), with accusative of thing Exodus 3:22( + מִן person), Exodus 11:2; Exodus 12:35 (both + מֵאֵת person; all E), — it Isaiah , however, not clear that there was any pretext of mere temporary use; passive participle ׳שָׁאוּל לי 1 Samuel 1:28 ( lent, granted,) made over to ׳י (in effect passive of Hiph`il, q. v.).
c. in weakened sense, seek, desire (late), with accusative 2 Chronicles 11:23; Ecclesiastes 2:10 (subject עֵינַי); Proverbs 20:4 in harvest he shall look [for a crop], וָאָ֑יִן and there shall be none.
2. a. inquire of, with accusative of person + לֵאמֹר before inquiry Genesis 32:18 (E), Genesis 44:19 (J) +; with וְאָמַר Judges 4:20, וַיּאִמֶר, etc., Genesis 24:47(J), Jeremiah 37:13; followed by וְאָמַר without accusative of person Genesis 32:30 (J), compare 1 Samuel 19:22, followed by לֵאמֹר Joshua 4:6 (JE); with accusative of person + עַל of thing Nehemiah 1:2; עַל of thing alone, Ecclesiastes 7:10 ( + מֵחָכְמָה, i. e. prompted by wisdom); with accusative of person + of thing (about which) 2 Samuel 14:18; Isaiah 45:11 4t.; accusative of person + indirect question Judges 13:6; with accusative of person only, Judges 8:14; 1 Samuel 25:8; Deuteronomy 32:7 +, inquire of beasts (accusative) Job 12:7; with accusative of thing only, Jeremiah 50:5; with ל person = accusative 2 Kings 8:6 (Kö Synt. § 289 h); with ל of thing about which Genesis 26:7 (J), Genesis 32:30 (J), Judges 13:18; 2 Samuel 11:7; Jeremiah 6:16; Job 8:8, also ( + לאמר before the inquiry) Genesis 43:7 (J), and (followed by direct question) Deuteronomy 4:32; with ל person about whom, Genesis 43:27 (J), compare phrase of greeting, אִישׁ לְרֵעֵהוּ לְשָׁלוֺם׳שׁ Exodus 18:7 (E) ask each for (or about) his fellow as to welfare, compare Judges 18:15; 1 Samuel 10:4; 1 Samuel 17:22; 1 Samuel 25:5; 1 Samuel 30:21 [read וַיִּשְׁאֲלוּ לוֺᵐ5 ᵑ6 We Dr HPS Bu] 2 Samuel 8:10; Jeremiah 15:5; 1 Chronicles 18:10; followed by direct question only, 1 Samuel 17:56; Jeremiah 18:13 (with ב location), followed by indirect question only (c.אִם) Jeremiah 30:6; אֶתמִּֿי׳שׁ ׳פ Genesis 24:57(J); absolute make inquiry Deuteronomy 13:15 ( + דָּרַשׁ, חָקַר).
b. inquire of, consult, deity, oracle, etc. (Jastr JBL xix (1900) 88 ff.), followed by accusative ׳מִּי י Joshua 9:14 (JE), Isaiah 30:2 ׳י Isaiah 65:1 ("" בִּקֵּשׁ); elsewhere in Hexateuch only (accusative omitted), Numbers 27:21 (P; with ל person for whom, + ב instrumental), compare Joshua 19:50; also אוֺב׳שׁ Deuteronomy 18:11 (participle as substantive; Jäger BAS ii. 292 compare Assyrian maššaku ša šâ°ili, i. e. skin-vessel of the oracle-seeker, compare Jastr JBL xix (1900), 96 ff.); with accusative of human agent 1 Samuel 28:16; Jeremiah 38:14,27; usually (ancient usage, chiefly Judges , Samuel) לֵאמֹר׳בי ׳שׁ (בְּ perhaps originally local, so GFM, or instrumental), Judges 1:1; Judges 20:23; 1 Samuel 23:2; 1 Samuel 30:8; 2 Samuel 2:1; 2 Samuel 5:19 = 1 Chronicles 14:10; לֵאמֹר omitted 1 Samuel 10:22 (followed by direct question), 1 Samuel 22:10 (ל person for whom), 1 Samuel 23:4; 1 Samuel 28:6; 2 Samuel 5:23 = 1 Chronicles 14:14; Judges 20:27; בֵּאלֹהִים׳שׁ Judges 18:5; Judges 20:18; 1 Samuel 14:37; (followed by direct question), also (ל person for whom), 1 Samuel 22:13,15; ׳שׁ׳בִּדְבַר הָא 2 Samuel 16:23; likewise בְּעֵצוֺ׳שׁ Hosea 4:12 (i.e. his idol), בַּתְּרָפִים Ezekiel 21:26, בָּאוֺב 1 Chronicles 10:13; perhaps = receive as oracle Deuteronomy 18:16 (׳מֵעִם י, Jastr l.c.
Niph`al ask for oneself (Ges§ 51 e), specifically ask leave of absence, with מִן person: Perfect 3 masculine singular + Infinitive absolute נִשְׁאֹל נִשְׁאַל 1 Samuel 20:6 (followed by infinitive), 1 Samuel 20:28 (followed by עַד; ? insert ל infinitive HPS); Perfect 1 singular נִשְׁאַלְתִּי מִןהַֿמֶּלֶךְ Nehemiah 13:6 (absolute).
Pi`el 1. inquire carefully: Imperfect 3 masculine plural +
Qal Infinitive absolute שָׁאוֺל יְשָֽׁאֲלוּ 2 Samuel 20:18 (Bu proposes
Qal Imperfect יִשְׁאֲלוּ), with ב location; on following context see We Dr HPS Bu.
2 beg, practise beggary, , Perfect 3 plural וְשִׁאֵ֑לוּ (consecutive) Psalm 109:10.
Hiph`il (properly let one ask [successfully], give, or lend, on request, then) grant, make over to (as a favour, with or without request): Perfect 1 singular suffix הִשְׁאִלְתִּהוּ׳לי 1 Samuel 1:28 I have made him over to ׳י (compare Dr HPS Bu and
Qal Passive participle, ib.); perhaps also read 3 feminine singular ׳הִשְׁאִילָה לי 1 Samuel 2:20 (whom) she hath made over to ׳י (for ׳שָׁאַל לי) Bu HPS (after ᵐ5. in part; other conjectures in Dr); Imperfect 3 masculine plural suffix of thing וַיַּשְׁאִלוּם Exodus 12:36 (E) and they handed them over.
שְׁאֵל verb ask (see Biblical Hebrew); —
Pe`al Perfect 3 masculine singular ׳שׁ Daniel 2:10; plural שְׁאֵ֫לְנָא Ezra 5:9,10; Imperfect 3 masculine singular suffix יִשְׁאֲלֶנְכוֺ Ezra 7:21; Participle active שָׁאֵל Daniel 2:11,27; —
1 ask for, request, accusative of thing Daniel 2:10 (ל person), Daniel 2:11; Daniel 2:27; Ezra 7:21 (suffix person).
2 inquire about, for, accusative of thing Ezra 5:9 (ל person); followed by oratio recta [direct speech] Ezra 5:10 ( id.).
שָׁאֵל fut. יִשְׁאַל (Syr. ܫܶܐܠ, Arab. سَأَلَ).
(1) to ask, to demand, followed by an acc. of the thing, 1 Samuel 12:13 and מִן Psalms 2:8 מֵאֵת 1 Samuel 8:10, of the person from whom any thing is asked, also followed by two acc. (αἰτεῖν τινά τι, to ask any one any thing), Psalms 137:3; Deuteronomy 14:26; Isaiah 45:11. Job 31:31, לִשְׁאוֹל בְּאָלָה נַפְשׁוֹ “by asking with a curse his (an enemy’s) life,” i.e. for his death, comp. Jonah 4:8, וַיִּשְׁאַל אֶת־נַפְשׁוֹ לָמוּת “and he desired death for himself;” 1 Kings 19:4.
(2) to ask, to request any thing from any one, Isaiah 7:11 (see עָמַק Hiphil), שָׁאַל שְׁאֵלָה see שְׁאֵלָה. Followed by an acc. of thing, Judges 5:25; 1 Kings 3:10 מִן of the person from whom it is asked, Psalms 21:5 also מֵאֵת 1 Kings 2:20 מֵעִים Deuteronomy 18:16 שָׁאַל דָּבָר לְ to ask any thing for any one, 1 Kings 2:22.
(a) to ask a loan, to borrow from any one, Exodus 3:22, 11:2 12:35. Part. שָׁאוּל lent, 1 Samuel 1:28; 2 Kings 6:5. Followed by לְ prob. to lend, i.q. Hiphil, 1 Samuel 2:20.
(b) to ask alms, to beg, i.q. Piel No. 1, Proverbs 20:4. (Arab. Conj. V. id., ساَيِءلُ a beggar.)
(3) to inquire of, to interrogate, Judges 4:20 seq.; followed by an acc. of pers., Genesis 24:47; Job 40:7; Joshua 9:14, “but they inquired not at the mouth of Jehovah” (which they ought to have done); compare Isaiah 30:2; Genesis 24:57 followed by לְ of pers., Job 8:8. The person or thing asked about, has לְ before it, Judges 13:18; Genesis 32:30 עַל Nehemiah 1:2 acc., Haggai 2:11; Isaiah 45:11. Specially it is
(a) to consult; followed by בְּ (fich befragen ben), as שָׁאַל בַּיהוָֹה to consult the oracle of Jehovah, Judges 1:1, 18:5 20:18 שָׁאַל בַּתְּרָפִים to consult Teraphim, Ezekiel 21:26 Followed by לְ for any one, for his benefit, 1 Samuel 22:10, 13 1 Samuel 22:13, 15 1 Samuel 22:15; Numbers 27:21.
(b) שָׁאַל לִפְ׳ לְשָׁלוֹם to ask of any one’s health; hence to salute, Genesis 43:27; 1 Samuel 10:4, 17:22 30:21 Exodus 18:7.
Niphal, to ask for oneself, to ask leave (like the Gr. αἰτοῦμαί σε τοῦτο; Germ. fich etwas ausbitten; followed by מִן of pers. and a gerund of the thing, to do which one asks for leave, 1 Samuel 20:6, 28 1 Samuel 20:28(where the verb is omitted); followed by a finite verb, Nehemiah 13:6. Comp. Gram. § 50, 2. Others take it, to obtain by prayers, leave or liberty from a master; Germ. fich fren=losbitten.
(1) to beg, to be a beggar, i.q. Kal No. 2, b; Psalms 109:10.
(2) to question, 2 Samuel 20:18.
Hiphil, to lend, Exodus 12:36; 1 Samuel 1:28 compare Kal No. 2, a.
Derivatives, שְׁאֵלָה, מִשְׁאָלָה; and the pr.n. שְׁאָל, שָׁאוּל, שֵׁלָה שְׁאַלְתִּיאֵל, אֶשְׁתָּאוֹל.