Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #6504 - פָּרַד
1) to separate, divide
1a) (Qal) to divide
1b1) to divide, separate
1b2) to be divided, be separated
1c) (Piel) to be separated
1d) (Pual) to be divided
1e1) to divide, separate
1e2) to make a division, make a separation
1f) (Hithpael) to be divided, be separated, get separated
V) drp (פרד PRD) - Divide apart: To divide and separate. KJV (26): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Pual, Piel) separate, part, divide, scatter, disperse, joint, sever, stretch, sunder - Strongs: H6504 (פָּרַד)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) to break off, to break in pieces, to separate by breaking. This is the original power of the bilateral פר, compare פָּרַר, פָּרַם, פָּרַשׂ, פָּרַץ, פָּרַק, פָּרַם, which are variously applied to the significations of dispersing (פָּרַט, פָּרַץ), letting go (פָּרַע), breaking forth (פָּרַח), expanding (פָּרַד, פָּרַשׁ, פַּרְשַׁז), and also that of judging (פָּרַז). Compare as to the power of the similar syllable בר, under the word בָּרָא.
(2) to expand, e.g. wings, Ezekiel 1:11 whence Syr. ܦܪܰܕ to fly, to flee away. Compare פֶּרֶד.
(3) to scatter, i.q. פָּרַט; whence פְּרֻדוֹת.
(1) to separate oneself, 2 Samuel 1:23 followed by מִן Judges 4:11, and מֵעַל from any one, Genesis 13:9, seq. Part. נִפְרָד one separating himself from others, one who despises others, one who lives only for himself (Sonderling), Proverbs 18:1.
(2) to scatter selves, to be divided, Genesis 10:5, 32 Genesis 10:32(compare 25:23, and נָפַץ 9:19 ); Nehemiah 4:13.
Piel, intrans. to go aside (for fornication), Hosea 4:14. (Arab. فَرَّدَ to go aside for purposes of devotion.)
Pual, part. to be separated, singular (see Niphal, Proverbs 18:1), Esther 3:8.
(1) to separate, Genesis 30:40; Proverbs 16:28, 17:9 followed by בֵּין (compare הִבְדִּיל בֵּין) Ruth 1:17; 2 Kings 2:11.
(2) to disperse, Deuteronomy 32:8.
(1) to separate oneself, to be put asunder, Job 41:9; Psalms 22:15.
(2) to be dispersed, Job 4:11.
Derived nouns. פְּרֻדָה … פֶּרֶד, and pr.n. פְּרוּדָא.
the Week of Proper 8 / Ordinary 13