the Second Week of Advent
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #06206 - עָרַץ
1) to tremble, dread, fear, oppress, prevail, break, be terrified, cause to tremble
1a1) to cause to tremble, terrify
1b2) to tremble, feel dread
1b) (Niphal) to be awesome, be terrible
1c1) to regard or treat with awe, regard or treat as awful
1c2) to inspire with awe, terrify
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Imperfect 2 masculine singular תַּעֲרֹץ Deuteronomy 7:21 +; 2 feminine singular תַּעֲר֑וֺצִי Isaiah 47:12; 1 singular אֶעֱרוֺץ Job 31:34, etc.; Infinitive construct עֲרֹץ Isaiah 2:19 +; —
1 cause to tremble (i.e. strike with awe) with accusative הָאָרֶץ Isaiah 2:19,21 (subject ׳י; insert probably also Isaiah 2:10); הֶעָלֶה נִדָּף׳תַּע Job 13:25 wilt thou strike with awe the driven leaf ? absolute cause trembling = inspire awe Isaiah 47:12 (of Babylonian ), Psalm 10:18.
2 intransitive tremble, feel dread (D), Deuteronomy 1:29; Deuteronomy 7:21; Deuteronomy 20:3; Deuteronomy 31:6; Joshua 1:9; with accusative Job 31:34 because I stood in awe of the great multitude.
Niph`al Participle אֵל נַעֲרָץ Psalm 89:8 El, terrible in the company of the holy ones ("" נוֺרָא).
Hiph`il 1. regard, or treat, with awe, as awful: 2 masculine plural וְלֹא תַעֲרִ֑יצוּ Isaiah 8:12 (accusative מוֺרָאוֺ); 3 masculine plural יַעֲרִ֑יצוּ Isaiah 29:23 accusative ׳אֶתאֱֿלֹהֵי יִשׂ.
2 inspire with awe (compare Qal 2); — Participle suffix הוּא מַעֲִרצְכֶם Isaiah 8:13 he shall be your awe-inspirer.
עָרַץ fut. יַעֲרֹץ
(1) to terrify, to cause terror or trembling. (Arab. عرص Conj. VIII. to tremble (as the skin). عَرَّاصُ a trembling spear. Gr. perhaps ἀράσσω). Isaiah 2:19, 21 Psalms 10:18; Job 13:25. Isai. 47:12, אוּלַי תַּעֲרֹצִי “perhaps thou wilt terrify,” sc. thy enemies, wilt put them in fear. Arab. عرض is to resist, which comes from the same idea. (The ancient interpreters expressed, thou mayest become more strong, wilt strengthen thyself.)
(2) intrans. to tremble, to fear, Deuteronomy 1:29 followed by מִפְּנֵי at any one, Deuteronomy 7:21, 20:3 31:6 followed by an acc. Job 31:34.
Niphal, part. נַעֲרָץ terrible, dreadful, i.q. נוֹרָא Psalms 89:8.
(1) causat. to put in fear, Isaiah 8:13.
(2) to fear, followed by an acc. Isaiah 8:12, 29:23.
Derivatives, מַעֲרָצָה, עָדוּץ, עָרִיץ.