the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6475 - פָּצָה
1) to part, open, separate, set free
1a1) to open (mouth), utter
1a2) to snatch away, set free
1386) yp (פתס PTs) AC: Smash CO: Club AB: ?: The pictograph p is a picture of an open mouth, the y is a picture of a man on his side. Combined these mean "open the side". When a pot is struck on its side, it is opened and the pieces scatter.
- A2422 Ypn (Scatter, Club)
- A2597 Rzp (Scatter)
- A2625 Hyp (Break)
- A2627 Myp (Crack)
- A2628 Oyp (Smash, Bruise)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 feminine singular מָּֽצְתָה Genesis 4:11 +, 2 masculine singular מָּצִיתָ Judges 11:36, etc.; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יִפְצֶה Job 35:16; Imperative masculine singular מְּצֶה Ezekiel 2:8, suffix פְצֵנִי Psalm 144:7; Psalm 144:11; Participle מֹּצֶה Isaiah 10:14, ׳מּוֺ Psalm 144:10; —
1 open mouth:
a. to swallow, figurative of ground, הָאֲדָמָה Genesis 4:11, (J), Numbers 16:30 (JE), הָאָרֶץ Deuteronomy 11:6; of enemies, + עַל person Lamentations 2:16; Lamentations 3:46; Psalm 22:14; literal Ezekiel 2:8.
b. to speak Judges 11:35,36 (utter a vow, + ׳אֶליֿ); Job 35:16; hence = utter, אֲשֶׁר מָּצוּ שְׁפָתַי Psalm 66:14; of bird chirping מֹּצֶה פֶה Isaiah 10:14 (in figurative).
2 snatch away, set free (Aramaic loan-word), only Psalm 144, + הִצִּיל with מִן Isaiah 10:7; Isaiah 10:11; ׳פ with מִן Isaiah 10:10.
(1) pr. to tear in pieces (auseinanderreißen); compare the kindred verbs פָּצַח, פָּצַל, פָּצַם, פָּצַעִ all of which have the primary sense of breaking in pieces, tearing apart, like the roots beginning with the letters בץ, בז. Hence to distend, to open, Ezekiel 2:8; Isaiah 10:14 as in threatening (like beasts of prey), followed by עַל Psalms 22:14 in mocking, followed by עַל Lamentations 2:16, 3:46 in speaking rashly, Job 35:16; Psalms 66:14; Judges 11:35, 36 Judges 11:36.
(2) to deliver, to snatch away, Psalms 144:7, 10 Psalms 144:10, 11 Psalms 144:11. (So Syr., Ch., and Arab. فصى Conj. II. IV.)
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.