Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #6087 - עָצַב
1) to hurt, pain, grieve, displease, vex, wrest
1a) (Qal) to hurt, pain
1b) (Niphal) to be in pain, be pained, be grieved
1c) (Piel) to vex, torture
1d) (Hiphil) to cause pain
1e) (Hithpael) to feel grieved, be vexed
2) to shape, fashion, make, form, stretch into shape, (TWOT) worship
2a) (Piel) to shape, form
2b) (Hiphil) to form, copy, fashion
V) byo (אהתסב AhTsB) - Pain: To be in pain from grief or heavy toil. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (18): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Piel, Participle) grieve, displease, hurt, made, sorry, vex, worship, wrest, lament - Strongs: H6087 (עָצַב), H6088 (עֲצִיב)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) to labour, to form, to fashion, see Piel No. 1. (The original idea is perhaps that of cutting, whether wood or stones, compare חָצַב, חָטַב. There are in the cognate languages secondary significations, as Arabic غضب to be angry.) Hence עָצָב and עֹצֶב a carved image, עֶצֶב an earthen vessel.
(2) to toil with pain, to suffer, to be grieved (see עֶצֶב, עֹצֶב, עַצֶּבֶת, עִצָּבוֹן ); used also of the mind, and in Kal trans. to put in pain, to afflict, 1 Kings 1:6; 1 Chronicles 4:10; Isaiah 54:6.
Niphal, to be pained
(a) in body, followed by בְּ (with any thing), Ecclesiastes 10:9.
(b) in mind, to be afflicted, grieved, Genesis 45:5; 1 Samuel 20:3 followed by אֶל (1 Samuel 20:34), and עַל (2 Samuel 19:3).
(1) to form (comp. Kal No. 1), Job 10:8.
(2) to put to grief, to afflict (comp. Kal No. 2), Isaiah 63:10; Psalms 56:6.
(1) i.q. Kal No. 1, to labour; hence probably to serve (an idol), to worship (like the synonym, עָבַד), Jeremiah 44:19, לְהַעֲצִיבָהּ “to worship her” (the queen of heaven). Vulg. ad colendum eam. Others, to make her, i.e. her image (comp. Kal No.1).
(2) i.q. Piel No. 2, to grieve, i.e. to provoke (God) to anger, Psalms 78:40.
(1) to grieve (oneself), Genesis 6:6.
(2) to become angry, Genesis 34:7. See Hiph. No. 2.
Derived nouns, עַצֶּבֶת … עָצָב, and מַעֲצֵבָה.
the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26