the Second Week of Advent
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6087 - עָצַב
1) to hurt, pain, grieve, displease, vex, wrest
1a) (Qal) to hurt, pain
1b) (Niphal) to be in pain, be pained, be grieved
1c) (Piel) to vex, torture
1d) (Hiphil) to cause pain
1e) (Hithpael) to feel grieved, be vexed
2) to shape, fashion, make, form, stretch into shape, (TWOT) worship
2a) (Piel) to shape, form
2b) (Hiphil) to form, copy, fashion
V) byo (אהתסב AhTsB) - Pain: To be in pain from grief or heavy toil. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (18): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Piel, Participle) grieve, displease, hurt, made, sorry, vex, worship, wrest, lament - Strongs: H6087 (עָצַב), H6088 (עֲצִיב)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 masculine singular suffix עֲצָבוֺ 1 Kings 1:6 his father had not pained him (ᵐ5 Klo Gr עֲצָרוֺ, but see Benz); insert עָצַב (with other words) 2 Samuel 13:21 ᵐ5 Ew Th We Kit Bu HPS; Infinitive construct suffix לְבִלְתִּי עָצְבִּי 1 Chronicles 4:10 that it (רָעָה) may not pain me; Passive participle construct עֲצוּבַת רוּחַ Isaiah 54:6 hurt in spirit (of Zion under figure of deserted wife).
Niph`al Perfect 3 masculine singular נֶעְצַב 1 Samuel 20:24 be pained for (אֶל person; strike out ᵐ5 HPS); נֶעֱצַב 2 Samuel 19:3 the king is in pain (is grieving) for (עַל person); Imperfect 3 masculine singular יֵעָצֵב 1 Samuel 20:3 lest he be pained; + בָּהֶם instrumental Ecclesiastes 10:9 shall be hurt by them (i.e. אֲבָנִים; only here of physical pain); 2 masculine plural תֵּעָֽצְבוּ Genesis 45:5 be not grieved (+ יִחַר; followed byכִּי that ye sold me), compare Nehemiah 8:10,11 (absolute) do not grieve.
Pi`el Perfect 3 plural עִצְּבוּ with accusative Isaiah 63:10 they vexed his holy spirit (+ מָרוּ); Imperfect 3 masculine plural בְּבָרַי יְעַצֵּ֑בוּ Psalm 56:6 my affairs they vex (Thes and others), but improbable, < Che ׳בְּדָבָר יְע with speech they vex (me).
Hiph`il Imperfect 3 masculine plural suffix יַעֲצִיבוּהוּ Psalm 78:40 they used to cause him [׳י] pain.
Hithpa`el Imperfect 3 masculine singular וַיִּתְעַצֵּב אֶללִֿבּוֺ Genesis 6:6 and he was vexed to his heart (of ׳י; "" וַיִּנָּחֶם); 3 masculine plural וִיִּתְעַצְּבוּ Genesis 34:7 (+ וַיִּחַר, followed by clause with כִּי).
II. [עָצַב] verb Pi`el shape, fashion (Late Hebrew Pi`el stretch child into shape; Buhl Lex compare out, cut off [whence idea of carving, fashioning]); —
Pi`el Perfect יָדֶיךָ עִצְּבוּנִי וַעיַּעֲשׂוּנִי Job 10:8 thy hands shaped me, etc.
Hiph`il Infinitiveconstruct לְהַעֲצִבָה Jeremiah 44:19, but read בָהּ-, to fashion her, i.e. make images of her (possibly denominative from עָצָב).
(1) to labour, to form, to fashion, see Piel No. 1. (The original idea is perhaps that of cutting, whether wood or stones, compare חָצַב, חָטַב. There are in the cognate languages secondary significations, as Arabic غضب to be angry.) Hence עָצָב and עֹצֶב a carved image, עֶצֶב an earthen vessel.
(2) to toil with pain, to suffer, to be grieved (see עֶצֶב, עֹצֶב, עַצֶּבֶת, עִצָּבוֹן ); used also of the mind, and in Kal trans. to put in pain, to afflict, 1 Kings 1:6; 1 Chronicles 4:10; Isaiah 54:6.
Niphal, to be pained
(a) in body, followed by בְּ (with any thing), Ecclesiastes 10:9.
(b) in mind, to be afflicted, grieved, Genesis 45:5; 1 Samuel 20:3 followed by אֶל (1 Samuel 20:34), and עַל (2 Samuel 19:3).
(1) to form (comp. Kal No. 1), Job 10:8.
(2) to put to grief, to afflict (comp. Kal No. 2), Isaiah 63:10; Psalms 56:6.
(1) i.q. Kal No. 1, to labour; hence probably to serve (an idol), to worship (like the synonym, עָבַד), Jeremiah 44:19, לְהַעֲצִיבָהּ “to worship her” (the queen of heaven). Vulg. ad colendum eam. Others, to make her, i.e. her image (comp. Kal No.1).
(2) i.q. Piel No. 2, to grieve, i.e. to provoke (God) to anger, Psalms 78:40.
(1) to grieve (oneself), Genesis 6:6.
(2) to become angry, Genesis 34:7. See Hiph. No. 2.
Derived nouns, עַצֶּבֶת … עָצָב, and מַעֲצֵבָה.