Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2865 - חָתַת
1) to be shattered, be dismayed, be broken, be abolished, be afraid
1a1) to be shattered, be broken
1a2) to be dismayed
1b) (Niphal) to be broken, be dismayed
1c) (Piel) to be shattered, be dismayed, be scared
1d1) to cause to be dismayed
1d2) to dismay, terrify
1d3) to shatter
V) tth (ההתת HhTT) - Break: To broken in fear or terror. KJV (54): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Piel) dismayed, afraid, break in pieces, broken, break down, abolish, amazed, confound, discouraged, beat down, scarest, terrify - Strongs: H2865 (חָתַת)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) prop. to break (kindred to other onomatopoetic roots, כָּתַת, פָּתַת; כָּתַשׁ, פָּתַשׁ هَدَّ), see Niphal, Piel, Hiphil. In Kal only
(2) intrans. to be broken, specially to be broken down with fear, to be confounded. (Many verbs which signify breaking are applied to fear, as שָׁבַר Job 41:16 Arab. فرق, ىَسَرَ, هَدَّ Schult. Opp Min. p. 93. As those who are seized with great terror or fear strike their knees together as if they were broken, fie brechen zufammen.) Job 32:15; Isaiah 20:5, 37:27 Jeremiah 8:9, 14:4 48:1, 20 Jeremiah 48:20, 39 Jeremiah 48:39, 50:2, 36 Jeremiah 50:36. Often connected with the verb בּוֹשׁ.
Niphal נִחַת (which is identical in form with Piel and Niphal of the verb נָחַת), fut. יֵחַת, pl. יֵחַתּוּ
(1) pass. of Kal No. 1, to be broken, of a dominion, Isaiah 7:8 of justice, or the salvation of God, Isaiah 51:6.
(2) i.q. Kal No. 2, to be broken down with fear, to be confounded. Often with the synonym יָרֵא, as Deuteronomy 31:8, לֹא תֵחַת, לֹא תִירָא “fear not, neither be confounded;” Deuteronomy 31:8; Joshua 1:9, 8:1 10:25. Followed by מִפְּנֵי before the person, Jeremiah 1:17; Ezekiel 2:6, 3:9 מִן before the thing, for fear of which one flies (compare מִן No. 2, a), Isaiah 30:31, 31:4 Jeremiah 10:2. To the former, as to sense, belongs Malachi 2:5, מִפְּנֵי שְׁמִי נִחַת הוּא “and he feared my name,” stood in awe of it.
(1) intrans. (but with an intensitive power) to be broken (as a bow), Jeremiah 51:56.
(2) causat. of Kal No. 2, to frighten, Job 7:14.
Hiphil הֵחֵת, fut. יָחֵת, with suff. יְחִתֵּנִי, once יְחִיתַן Habakkuk 2:17, for יְחִתֵּן (see Lehrg. p. 369), rarely like regular verbs הַחְתַּתִּי Jeremiah 49:37.
(1) to break, to break to pieces, Isaiah 9:3.
(2) to frighten, to put to shame, Jeremiah 1:17, 49:37 Job 31:34. (Arab. أَخَتَّ to be terrified, put to shame.)
Derivatives, חַת, חִתָּה, חִתִּית, חַתְחַתִּים, מְחִתָּה pr.n. חֵת, and
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20