the Second Week of Advent
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #06869 - צָרָה
1) straits, distress, trouble
2) vexer, rival wife
Nm ) ry (תסר TsR) - I. Enemy:One who closes in with pressure. II. Strait:A narrow tight place or situation. KJV (105): enemy, adversary, trouble, distress, affliction, foe, narrow, strait, flint, sorrow - Strongs: H6862 (צָר)
V) rya (אתסר ATsR) - I. Belt:To wrap around tightly. [df: rza]II. Store:To store up something in a safe place as if bound up. KJV (21): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Piel) gird, bind, compass, store, treasure - Strongs: H247 (אָזַר), H686 (אָצַר)
gf) refy (תסוהר TsWHR) - Shining: Something that shines bright. Also noon as the brightest part of the day. From the glistening of olive oil. [df: rhz] KJV (26): brightness, noon, noonday, day, midday, window - Strongs: H2096 (זֹהַר), H6672 (צָהֳרַיִם)
V) rfy (תסור TsWR) - Press: [df: rwz] KJV (41): (vf: Paal) besiege, siege, distress, bind, adversary, assault, bag, beset, cast, fashion, fortify, inclose, bind, crush, closed, thrust - Strongs: H2115 (זוּר), H6696 (צוּר)
Nm ) rfy (תסור TsWR) - Flint: A very hard rock that when fractured forms a razor sharp edge. Used for knives, spears or arrowheads. KJV (80): rock, strength, sharp, god, beauty, edge, stone, mighty, strong, stone, flint - Strongs: H6697 (צֻר), H6864 (צֹר)
V) ryi (יתסר YTsR) - Press: To pressed or squeeze out of shape or into a shape as when pressing clay into a shape. KJV (71): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hophal, Pual) distressed, straitened, straits, vex, narrow, form, potter, fashion, maker, frame, make, former, earthen, purpose - Strongs: H3334 (יָצַר), H3335 (יָצַר)
Nm) riy (תסיר TsYR) - I. Pain:A pressing pain. II. Idol:As pressed out of clay. III. Hinge:As pressed. The weight of the door rested on the hinge. IV. Messenger:KJV (14): ambassador, messenger, pain, pang, sorrow, idol, hinge - Strongs: H6735 (צִיר), H6736 (צִיר)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
II. [צָרָה] noun feminine vexer, rival-wife (see references below √; also Sirach 37:11); — suffix צָרָתָהּ 1 Samuel 1:6.
צָרָה not used in Kal, to set up (ftellen), like the Syr. ܨܘܐܳ (see Ezekiel 30:15, Pesh.), whence ܨܘܳܝܐܳ, Arab. صُوَّةُ cippus, Hebr. צִיוּן.
Piel צִוָּה fut. apoc. וַיְצַו imp. apoc. צַו, Arab. وَصَّى
(1) to constitute, to appoint (beftellen)
(a) any one over any thing, followed by an acc. of person, and עַל of the thing, 1 Samuel 13:14, 25:30 2 Samuel 6:21; Nehemiah 5:14, 7:2.
(b) with an acc. of the thing, to appoint, to decree, to determine any thing; i.e. to cause it to exist. Isaiah 45:12, “all the host of it (the heaven) have I appointed,” caused to exist; 48:5 Deuteronomy 28:8; Psalms 68:29, 111:9 133:3.
(2) to charge, to command, followed by acc. of pers. (like the Lat. jussit aliquem), Genesis 26:11 more rarely followed by עַל 2:16 28:6 Esther 2:10, 20 followed by אֶל Genesis 50:16 followed by לְ Exodus 1:22. The express words of the command are subjoined with לֵאמֹר e.g. Genesis 26:11, וַיְצַו אֲבִימֶלֶךְ אֶת־בָּל־הָעָם לֵאמֹר “and Abimelech commanded all the people, saying,” etc.; 32:5 Exodus 5:6. In other places, that which any one is commanded to do, is put in the inf. with לְ prefixed, Genesis 50:2; 2 Samuel 7:7; Jeremiah 35:8 more rarely in a finite verb, with אֲשֶׁר (that) prefixed, Esther 2:10 and ו (prop. he charged, and he did), Amos 9:4. To command any one, any thing, with two acc. of pers. and thing, Genesis 6:22; Exodus 25:22. It is also used without any mention added of the command, with an acc. of pers. to give commands to any one (jem. etwas beftellen), to delegate any one with commands, to commission, Jerem. 14:14 23:32 followed by עַל of the person to whom the commands are sent, Esther 4:5; Ezra 8:17; 1 Chronicles 22:12 or of the thing about which the command is given, Genesis 12:20; 2 Samuel 14:8 to which also אֶל is prefixed, Exodus 6:13 and לְ Psalms 91:11. Used of inanimate things, Amos 9:4; Psalms 42:9. Specially it is said צִוָּה בֵיתוֹ or צִוָּה לְבֵיתוֹ to give (last) commands to one’s family, i.e. to make a will (fein Haus beftellen), 2 Samuel 17:23; 2 Kings 20:1; Isaiah 38:1 (comp. Rabbin. צַוָּאָה testament).
Pual, to be commanded. Levit. 8:35, בֵּן צֻוֵּיתִי “so am I commanded,” this charge is given to me. Ezekiel 12:7, בַאֲשֶׁר צֻוֵּיתִי “even as I was commanded.” Followed by בְּ of the person who gives the command, Numbers 36:2.
Derivatives, צַו, צִיּוּן, מִצְוָה [“and צִי”].
צָרָה (with Kametz impure) f. of the word צַר (from the root צָרַר)
(1) a female adversary, enemy, especially a rival, 1 Samuel 1:6 (from the root צָרַר No. 4).
(2) distress, with ה parag. Psalms 120:1, בַּצָּרָתָה לִי “when I am in distress,” comp. Jonah 2:3 from the root צָרַר No. 5.