the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #05595 - סָפָה
1) to sweep or snatch away, catch up, destroy, consume
1a1) to be snatched away
1a2) to sweep or snatch away
1b1) to be swept away, be destroyed
1b2) to be caught up, be captured
1c) (Hiphil) to catch up, gather
1339) px (ספ SP) AC: Gather CO: Lip AB: ?: The pictograph x is a picture of a thorn representing a turning, the p is a picture of a mouth. Combined these mean "turning mouth". The rim, or lips of the bowl, which circle around it. The bowl is used for gathering things together and for eating.
Nf1) epx (ספה SPH) - Lip: The lip or edge of something. Also language as spoken from the lips. [df: hpV tpV] KJV (176): lip, bank, brim, edge, language, speech, shore, brink, border, prating, vain - Strongs: H8193 (שֶׂפֶת)
Nm) pfx (סופ SWP) - I. Reed:He plants that grow at the edge, or lip, of a river or pond. II. Edge:[Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (38): flags, weeds, end, conclusion, hind - Strongs: H5488 (סוּף), H5490 (סוֹף), H5491 (סוֹף)
V) pxi (יספ YSP) - Add: [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (44): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hophal) more, again, add, increase, also, exceed, put, further, henceforth, can, continue, give - Strongs: H3254 (יָסַף), H3255 (יְסַף)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal 1. intransitive: Perfect 3 feminine singular סָֽפְתָה Jeremiah 12:4 be snatched away (read possibly סָ֫פָה [סוף]).
2 transitive: Imperfect 3 feminine singular תִּסְמֶּה Isaiah 7:20 sweep away beard; 2 masculine singular תִּסְמֶּה Genesis 18:23,24 sweep away indiscriminately (good and bad); Infinitive construct סְפוֺת Deuteronomy 29:18 to snatch away the moist with the dry (proverb. expression, compare Dr), suffix לִסְמּוֺתָהּ Psalm 40:15 to snatch it away (i.e. my life). — וְסָפ֫וּ Amos 3:15 see סוף.
Niph`al Pf . 3 masculine singular וְנִסְמָּה consecutive 1 Samuel 26:10; Imperfect 2 masculine singularתִּסָּפֶה Genesis 19:15,17; 1 singular אֶסָּפֶה 1 Samuel 27:1; 2 masculine plural תִּסָּפוּ Numbers 16:26, תִּסָּפ֑וּ 1 Samuel 12:25; Participle נִסְמֶּה Isaiah 13:15; Proverbs 13:23 ( 1 Chronicles 21:12 see below); —
1 be swept away, destroyed, Genesis 19:15 (בַּעֲוֺן הָעִיר by reason of the iniquity of the city), Genesis 19:17 (both J), Numbers 16:26 (JE) 1 Samuel 12:25; 1 Samuel 26:10 (in battle), + בְּיַד of agent 1 Samuel 27:1; compare וְיֵשׁ נִסְמֶּה בְּלאֹ מִשְׁמָּט Proverbs 13:23 and there is that is swept away for lack of justice. — 1 Chronicles 21:12 read נוּסְךָ (as "" 2 Samuel 24:13, see נוּס).
2 be caught up, captured, Isaiah 13:15 ("" נִמְצָא).
Hiph`il Imperfect 1 singular אֵסְמֶּה עָלֵימוֺ רָעוֺת Deuteronomy 32:23 I will catch up against them calamities, but read אֹסְפָה I will gather (√ אסף), or < אֹסִפָה (Di Dr Buhl Lex 13) I will add, i.e. multiply (√ יסף; see Ges§ 69h, note).
(1) i.q. אָסַף to scrape, to scrape together (see Hiphil No. 1), to scrape off, Isaiah 7:20 to take away life, Psalms 40:15 to take any one away, to destroy, Genesis 18:23, 24 Genesis 18:24 and intrans. to be destroyed, to perish, Jeremiah 12:4.
(2) i.q. יָסַף (but אָסַף and יָסַף are of the same stock; see page 67, A.), to add, only in imp. סְפוּ Isaiah 29:1; Jeremiah 7:21 and inf. סְפוֹת Isaiah 30:1. [“But these may be from יָסַף.”] Also, to add to anything, to increase (see יָסַף No. 2 ), Numbers 32:14.
(1) i.q. נֶאֱסַף No. 2, to betake oneself (into the house). Isaiah 13:15, כָּל־הַנִּסְפֶּה “whoever betakes (or, withdraws) himself;” i.e. lurks in houses, hides away. Opp. to כָּל־הַנִּמְצָא.
(2) to be taken away, to perish, Genesis 19:15 especially in battle, 1 Samuel 12:25, 26:10 27:1.
Hiphil, to heap together, to accumulate; followed by עַל upon any one, Deuteronomy 32:23. LXX. συνάξω.