Consider helping today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #05595 - סָפָה
1) to sweep or snatch away, catch up, destroy, consume
1a1) to be snatched away
1a2) to sweep or snatch away
1b1) to be swept away, be destroyed
1b2) to be caught up, be captured
1c) (Hiphil) to catch up, gather
1339) px (ספ SP) AC: Gather CO: Lip AB: ?: The pictograph x is a picture of a thorn representing a turning, the p is a picture of a mouth. Combined these mean "turning mouth". The rim, or lips of the bowl, which circle around it. The bowl is used for gathering things together and for eating.
Nf1) epx (ספה SPH) - Lip: The lip or edge of something. Also language as spoken from the lips. [df: hpV tpV] KJV (176): lip, bank, brim, edge, language, speech, shore, brink, border, prating, vain - Strongs: H8193 (שֶׂפֶת)
Nm) pfx (סופ SWP) - I. Reed:He plants that grow at the edge, or lip, of a river or pond. II. Edge:[Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (38): flags, weeds, end, conclusion, hind - Strongs: H5488 (סוּף), H5490 (סוֹף), H5491 (סוֹף)
V) pxi (יספ YSP) - Add: [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (44): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hophal) more, again, add, increase, also, exceed, put, further, henceforth, can, continue, give - Strongs: H3254 (יָסַף), H3255 (יְסַף)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) i.q. אָסַף to scrape, to scrape together (see Hiphil No. 1), to scrape off, Isaiah 7:20 to take away life, Psalms 40:15 to take any one away, to destroy, Genesis 18:23, 24 Genesis 18:24 and intrans. to be destroyed, to perish, Jeremiah 12:4.
(2) i.q. יָסַף (but אָסַף and יָסַף are of the same stock; see page 67, A.), to add, only in imp. סְפוּ Isaiah 29:1; Jeremiah 7:21 and inf. סְפוֹת Isaiah 30:1. [“But these may be from יָסַף.”] Also, to add to anything, to increase (see יָסַף No. 2 ), Numbers 32:14.
(1) i.q. נֶאֱסַף No. 2, to betake oneself (into the house). Isaiah 13:15, כָּל־הַנִּסְפֶּה “whoever betakes (or, withdraws) himself;” i.e. lurks in houses, hides away. Opp. to כָּל־הַנִּמְצָא.
(2) to be taken away, to perish, Genesis 19:15 especially in battle, 1 Samuel 12:25, 26:10 27:1.
Hiphil, to heap together, to accumulate; followed by עַל upon any one, Deuteronomy 32:23. LXX. συνάξω.
the Fifth Week after Easter