Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #117 - אַדִּיר
1) great, majestic
1a) of waters of sea
1b) of a tree
1c) of kings, nations, gods
2) great one, majestic one
2a) of nobles, chieftains, servants
1089) rd (דר DR) AC: ? CO: Circle AB: ?: The pictograph d is a door representing a moving back and forth. The r is the head of a man. Combined these mean "the back and forth movement of man". A generation is one revolution of the family line. The Hebraic understanding of order is the continual cyclical process of life and death or renewal and destruction. This root can also have the meanings of circling around of something in a wide area or to cover a large area. (eng: adore - as honor)
bm) rida (אדיר ADYR) - Noble: Someone or something that is wide in authority or majesty. KJV (27): noble, excellent, mighty, principle, famous, gallant, glorious, goodly, lordly, worthies - Strongs: H117 (אַדִּיר)
V) rde (הדר HDR) - Swell: Someone or something that is wide in size or majesty. To honor. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (10): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hitpael) honour, countenance, crooked places, glorious, glorified, put forth - Strongs: H1921 (הָדַר), H1922 (הֲדַר)
Nm) rde (הדר HDR) - Honor: Someone or something that is swollen in size, pride or majesty. KJV (34): honour, majesty, glory, beauty, comeliness, excellency, glorious, goodly - Strongs: H1923 (הֲדַר), H1925 (הֶדֶר), H1926 (הָדָר)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
אַדִּיר adj. (from the root אָדַר).
(1) large, very great, mighty, used of the waves of the sea; Psalms 93:4 of a large ship, Isaiah 33:21.
(2) powerful, used of kings, Psalms 136:18 of nations, Ezekiel 32:18 of gods, 1 Samuel 4:8.
(3) prince, leader; pl. chiefs, nobles, 2 Chronicles 23:20; Nehemiah 10:30 סֵפֶל אַדִּירִים “a bowl of princes,” i.e. precious, Judges 5:25 אַדִּירֵי הַצּאֹן “leaders of the flock,” i.q. shepherds, רֹעִים Jeremiah 25:34, sqq.
(4) magnificent, illustrious, glorious, Psalms 8:2.
(5) Applied in a moral sense, noble, excelling in good qualities, excellent; Psalms 16:3, “the saints who are in the earth וְאַדִּירֵי כָּל־חֶפְצִי בָם, and the excellent (thereof), all my delight is in them.”
the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26