the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #117 - אַדִּיר
1) great, majestic
1a) of waters of sea
1b) of a tree
1c) of kings, nations, gods
2) great one, majestic one
2a) of nobles, chieftains, servants
1089) rd (דר DR) AC: ? CO: Circle AB: ?: The pictograph d is a door representing a moving back and forth. The r is the head of a man. Combined these mean "the back and forth movement of man". A generation is one revolution of the family line. The Hebraic understanding of order is the continual cyclical process of life and death or renewal and destruction. This root can also have the meanings of circling around of something in a wide area or to cover a large area. (eng: adore - as honor)
bm) rida (אדיר ADYR) - Noble: Someone or something that is wide in authority or majesty. KJV (27): noble, excellent, mighty, principle, famous, gallant, glorious, goodly, lordly, worthies - Strongs: H117 (אַדִּיר)
V) rde (הדר HDR) - Swell: Someone or something that is wide in size or majesty. To honor. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (10): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hitpael) honour, countenance, crooked places, glorious, glorified, put forth - Strongs: H1921 (הָדַר), H1922 (הֲדַר)
Nm) rde (הדר HDR) - Honor: Someone or something that is swollen in size, pride or majesty. KJV (34): honour, majesty, glory, beauty, comeliness, excellency, glorious, goodly - Strongs: H1923 (הֲדַר), H1925 (הֶדֶר), H1926 (הָדָר)
- A2057 Rdc (Enclose, Wall)
- A2093 Rbd (Order, Word)
- A2468 Rdx (Order, Row)
- A2530 Rdo (Miss, Rake, Order)
- A2576 Kro (Arrange, Plan)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 majestic (wide, lofty) of waters of sea Exodus 15:10; Psalm 93:4; a ship Isaiah 33:21; a tree Ezekiel 17:23; a vine Ezekiel 17:8 (גֶּפֶן אַדֶּרֶת, so Fü; or ׳א abstract noun see below אַדֶּרֶת below); also figurative of kings Psalm 136:18; nations Ezekiel 32:18; gods 1 Samuel 4:8; of ׳י Psalm 93:4; Psalm 76:5; of name of ׳י Psalm 8:2; Psalm 8:10.
2 substantive majestic one, of nobles, chieftains, etc., Judges 5:13,25; Nahum 2:6; Nahum 3:18; Jeremiah 14:3; Jeremiah 25:34 (אַדִּירֵי הַצּאֹן figurative so): 35.36; Jeremiah 30:21; Zechariah 11:2; 2 Chronicles 23:20; Nehemiah 3:5; Nehemiah 10:30; of ׳י Isaiah 10:34; Isaiah 33:21; of servants of ׳י Psalm 16:3 (= priests ? compare 1 Chronicles 24:5 & see Che).
אַדִּיר adj. (from the root אָדַר).
(1) large, very great, mighty, used of the waves of the sea; Psalms 93:4 of a large ship, Isaiah 33:21.
(2) powerful, used of kings, Psalms 136:18 of nations, Ezekiel 32:18 of gods, 1 Samuel 4:8.
(3) prince, leader; pl. chiefs, nobles, 2 Chronicles 23:20; Nehemiah 10:30 סֵפֶל אַדִּירִים “a bowl of princes,” i.e. precious, Judges 5:25 אַדִּירֵי הַצּאֹן “leaders of the flock,” i.q. shepherds, רֹעִים Jeremiah 25:34, sqq.
(4) magnificent, illustrious, glorious, Psalms 8:2.
(5) Applied in a moral sense, noble, excelling in good qualities, excellent; Psalms 16:3, “the saints who are in the earth וְאַדִּירֵי כָּל־חֶפְצִי בָם, and the excellent (thereof), all my delight is in them.”