Consider helping today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2127 - εὐλογέω
- to praise, celebrate with praises
- to invoke blessings
- to consecrate a thing with solemn prayers
- to ask God's blessing on a thing
- pray God to bless it to one's use
- pronounce a consecratory blessing on
- of God
- to cause to prosper, to make happy, to bestow blessings on
- favoured of God, blessed
impf. εὐλόγουν or ηὐλ - Ar. Ec. 454, Isoc. 12.206: fut. - ήσω E. Hec. 465 (lyr.): aor. εὐλόγησα or ηὐλ - LXX Genesis 1:22,al.: inf. εὐλογῆσαι Ar. Eq. 565: pf. εὐλόγηκα LXX Numbers 23:11 : — Pass., with fut. Med. εὐλογήσομαι (v.l. - ηθήσομαι, as always in LXX, 2 Ki. 7.29,al.) Isoc. 9.5: aor. εὐλογήθην Phalar. 119.3 (opt.): pf. εὐλόγημαι LXX Ruth 2:19 : —
I speak well of, praise, πόλιν A. Ag. 580; πατέρα τὸν ἀμόν S. Ph. 1314, cf. Ar. Eq. 1.c., E. Hec. 1.c.,al., Isoc.ll.cc.; deliver a panegyric upon, Arist. Rh.Al. 1426a3: with neut. Adj., εὐ. καὶ δίκαια κἄδικα Ar. Ach. 372, cf. Ec. 454; θεοὶ εὐλογοῦσί τινα honour him, E. Supp. 927: — Pass., ἐπαίνοις εὐλογούμενον πέδον S. OC 720; τὸν ἐν Δωδῶνι δαίμον' εὐλογούμενον Id. Fr. 461.
1. of God or men, LXX Genesis 35:9,al., Acts 3:26,al.: freq. in pf. part. Pass. εὐλογημένος, as LXX De. 28.3, Luke 1:28.
2. bless, praise a god, OGI 73 (Egypt), cf. εὐ. τὴν Εἶσιν (sic) CIG 4705c (ibid.); σου τὰς δυνάμεις Buresch Aus Lydien 113; so in LXX and NT, Jo. 22.23,al., James 3:9.
3. also, apptly. by a Hebr. euphemism, curse, LXX 1 Kings 20:10(21).10, cf. Job 2:5.
εὐλογέω , -ῶ ,
[in LXX chiefly for H1288 pi.;]
1. to speak well of, praise (cl.; LXX Deuteronomy 8:10, al.): τ . θεόν , Luke 1:64; Luke 2:28; Luke 24:51; Luke 24:53 (αἰνοῦντες , T, WH, mg.), James 3:9; absol., to give praise, Matthew 14:19; Matthew 26:26 (v. Swete on Mark 14:22), Mark 6:41; Mark 14:22 (v. Swete, in l), Luke 24:30, 1 Corinthians 14:16.
2. As in LXX (= H1288 pi.);
(a) to bless, invoke blessings on (Genesis 24:60, Numbers 23:20, al.): absol., 1 Corinthians 4:12, 1 Peter 3:9; c. acc pers., Luke 2:34; Luke 6:28; Luke 24:50-51, Romans 12:14, Hebrews 7:1; Hebrews 7:6-7; Hebrews 11:20-21; εὐλογημένος (= H1288; v. Lft., Notes, 310; DCG, i, 189), blessed, Matthew 21:9; Matthew 23:39 (LXX), Mark 11:9-10, Luke 13:35; Luke 19:38 (LXX), John 12:13; c. acc rei, Mark 8:7, Luke 9:16, 1 Corinthians 10:16;
(b) with God as subject (Psalms 44:3, al.), to bless, prosper, bestow blessings on: c. acc pers., Acts 3:26, Galatians 3:9, Ephesians 1:3 (Lft., Notes, 311), Hebrews 6:14; εὐλογημένος , Luke 1:28 (WH, tit., R, tit., omit) Luke 1:42; εὐλογημένοι τ . πατρός (cf. Isaiah 61:9), Matthew 25:34; pass. Acts 3:25 (cf. ἐν -, κατ -ευλογέω ).†
**† κατ -ευλογέω , -ῶ ,
[in LXX: Tobit 11:1; Tobit 11:17*;]
to bless fervently: Mark 10:16 (v. Swete, in l).†
SYN.: see αἰνέω G134, and cf. DCG, i, 189, 211; Cremer, 766.
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
We can illustrate this verb only from the Christian papyri, as P Amh II. 145.1 (iv/v A.D.) τῷ ἀγ ]απητῷ ἀδελφῷ καὶ ηὐλ [ο ]γημένῳ, and the late P Grenf II. 113.7 (viii/ix A.D.) τῶν εὐλογημένων τριῶν συνόδων, .11 μετὰ τῶν σὺν αὐτοῖς καὶ εὐλογημένων ὁμονόων. It occurs, however, in inscrr. in such a formula as OGIS 73 εὐλογεῖ τὸν θεὸν Πτολεμαῖος Διονυσίου Ἰουδαῖος, and was by no means confined to the Jews as Dittenberger shows from CIG 4705 b.2 (of Pan) ε [ὐ ]λογ [ῶ ] τὸν εὔο [δο ]ν θεόν, ib. 4705 c.2 εὐλογῶ [τ ]ὴν Εἶσιν. See also Syll 891.24 (ii/A.D.) where the prayer is uttered that a protector of a tomb—τῶν λῴων ἀπολαύοι εὐλογοῖτό τε ἐν παντὶ δήμῳ, and the exx. of the verb in votive inscriptions given by Ramsay ExpT x. p. 54, as when a person who has been chastised for his sin by the god dedicates a stele—ε (ὐ)λογῶν σου τὰς δυνάμ (ε)ις : he adds that the stele which is dedicated is in one case called εὐλογία. In MGr εὐλογῶ = ";praise,"; ";bless"; : a form βλογῶ is also found.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Fifth Week after Easter