the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #7737 - שָׁוָה
1) to agree with, be or become like, level, resemble
1a1) to be like
1a2) equivalent (participle)
1a3) to set, place
1a4) setting (participle)
1b) (Piel) to level, smooth, still
1c) (Hiphil) to make like
1d) (Nithpael) to be alike
2) (Piel) to set, place
V) efs (סהוה ShWH) - Equal: To make something like something else, or to compare it to something else. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (24): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Piel, Participle) laid, equal, like, compare, profit, set - Strongs: H7737 (שָׁוָה), H7738 (שָׁוָה), H7739 (שְׁוָה)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Pi`el, hence) agree with, be like, resemble (Arabic II. make even, flat, uniform (with something else); Aramaic שְׁוָא (derived species) be like, be equal, fit, like, Pa`el lay out smoothly, Aph`el make plain, fit, worthy); —
Qal Perfect 3 masculine singular לִי׳לֹא שׁ Job 33:27 (si vera lectio) it was not equalled to me, i.e. (see infra; according to most) not requited (so De Di Daniel , and Isaiah 16:6 ᵑ7); Bu אֵל לֹא שִׁוָּה God did not requite (or שִׁלֵּם for שׁוה); Du לֹא שִׁוָּה כַעֲוֺנִי (compare ᵐ5); Imperfect 1 singular of ׳י, אֶלמִֿי ֗֗֗ אֶשְׁוֶה Isaiah 40:25 to whom shall I be like ? ("" תְּדַמְּיוּנִי), implying that he is incompare; 3 masculine plural לֹא יִשְׁווּבָֿהּ Proverbs 3:15 are not comparable with her (wisdom), so Proverbs 8:11; 2 masculine singular מֶּןתִּֿשְׁוֶהלֿוֺ Proverbs 26:4 lest thou be like him (a fool); Participle שֹׁוֶה בְּ Esther 7:4 is not an equivalent for; with לִ, suitable for Esther 3:8, so Esther 1:22 Hi Or Ry Kau (reading כֹּל שֹׁוֶה עִמּוֺ for כִּלְשׁוֺן עַמּוֺ, but see Siegf.); adequate for Esther 5:13.
Pi`el Perfect 3 masculine singular שִׁוָּה Isaiah 28:25 he hath levelled its (the ground's) surface; 1 singular שִׁוִּיתִי וְדוֺמַמְתִּי נַפְשִׁי Psalm 131:2 I have smoothed (composed) and stilled my soul; Song of Solomon , that is נַפְשִׁי Isaiah 38:13 ᵑ9 Ges De and others; Houb Lo Che Du and others read שִׁוַּעְתִּי I cried; accusative מִשְׁמָּטִים Psalm 119:30 accounted suitable, meet ("" דֶּרֶךְ אֱמוּנָח בָּחָ֑רְתִּי), Hi, compare Gr Psalm 119:128 (see
Qal Esther 3:8); We inserts לְנֶגְדִּי (II. ׳שׁ, compare Psalm 16:8); Zenner Du אִזִּיתִי.
Hiph`il make like: Imperfect 1 singular מָחאַשְׁוֶחלָֿךְ Lamentations 2:13 ("" אֲדַמֶּה); 2 masculine plural לְמִי תְדַמְּיוּנִי וְתַשְׁווּ Isaiah 46:5 (compare
Qal Isaiah 40:25).
Nithp. (apparently) Perfect 3 feminine singular נִשְׁתָּ֑וָה (for נִשְׁתְּוָה) Proverbs 27:15 are alike, but read probably Niph`al 3 feminine singular נִשְׁוָ֑תָה Ges§ 75x Toy and others — תשׁוה Job 30:22 Kt see II. שׁוא.
II. [שָׁוָה] verb Pi`el set, place (Biblical Aramaic Hithpa. ᵑ7שְׁוָא Pa`el set, make (often ᵑ7 = שׁום, שׁית); Thes and others below I. ׳שׁ, originally set, place, then set together, compare, < weakened from original make even, right, compare Vulgar Arabic II. make (Wahrm, compare also Ba Esther 66)); — Perfect 1 singular שִׁוִּיתִי Psalm 16:8 I have set ׳י before me (לְנֶגְּדִּי); עֵזֶר עַל׳שׁ Psalm 89:20 I have placed strength upon a hero, compare Psalm 21:6; Participle מְשַׁוֶּח רַנְלַי כְּ 2 Samuel 22:34 setting my feet like hinds = Psalm 18:34 (compare ᵑ7שַׁוִּי כְּ Genesis 48:20; Jeremiah 29:22, for שׂים כְּ); — Isaiah 38:13 see I. שׁוה; — Imperfect = make, produce, 3 masculine singular מְּרִי יְשַׁוֶּה לוֺ Hosea 10:1 (Israel as vine), si vera lectio, see We Now ("" עשׂת מְּרִי Hosea 9:16, compare Hosea 8:7).
I. [שְׁוָה] verb become like (Biblical Hebrew I. שָׁוָה); —
Pa`el Perfect 3 masculine plural שַׁוִּי Qr (see וְ following; >
Pe`îlשְׁוִי Kt, see K§ 47 Beisp. 3, and p. 175) Daniel 5:21, accusative of thing, with עִם.
שָׁוָה [“pr. kindred with צָוָה to set, to place; see Piel No. 2. Thes.”]
(1) to be even, level; see Piel. Hence
(2) to be equal (in value), to be equivalent to any thing; followed by בְּ Proverbs 3:15, 8:11 also, to countervail any thing. Esther 7:4, אֵין הַצָּר שֹׁוֶה בְּנֵזֶק הַמֶּלֶךְ “the enemy could not countervail the king’s damage,” could not compensate it. Esther 5:13, כָּל־זֶה אֵינֶנּוּ שֹׁוֶה לִי “all these things do not suffice me.” Impers. שָׁוָה לִי it is made even to me, i.e. made to satisfy, Job 33:27.
(3) to be fit, suitable for any one; followed by לְ Esther 3:8.
(4) to be like, to resemble; followed by לְ Proverbs 26:4; Isaiah 40:25.
(1) to make level, e.g. a field, Isaiah 28:25 metaph. the mind, e.g. to compose, to calm the mind, Psalms 131:2 and ellipt., Isaiah 38:13, שִׁוּיתִי עַד בֹּקֶר “I calmed (my mind) until morning.” Vulg. and Jerome, sperabam usque ad mane. (In taking the sentence thus, כַּאֲרִי is referred to the following member; but others take from signif. No. 2, “I compared (myself) to a lion,” sc. in roaring. Targ., I roared as a lion).
(2) to put, to set, i.q. שׂוּם, שִׁית, as often in Targ., Psalms 16:8, 119:30. שִׁוָּה פְרִי to yield fruit (Frucht anfeßen), Hosea 10:1. Followed by עַל to bestow on any one (honour, help), Psalms 21:6, 89:20. Followed by an acc. and כְּ to make one like any thing, Psalms 18:34.
Hiphil, to liken, to compare, Lamentations 2:13.
Derivatives, שָׁוֶה, יִשְׁוָה, יִשְׁוִי.
שָׁוָה Chald. Ithpael, to fear. To this root two occurrences in the Old Testament seem to belong. One in
Piel, Job 30:22, כתיב, תְּמוֹגְגֵנִי תשוה (read תְּשַׁוֶּה) “thou makest me to melt, and frightenest me” (תּוּשִׁיָּה קרי). The other in
Nithpael (a conjugation often used by the Rabbins, see Lehrg. p. 249). Proverbs 27:15, “a dropping in the time of rain וְאֵשֶׁת מִדְוָנִים נִשְׁתָּוָה and a contentious woman are to be feared.” Others comparing שָׁוָה No. I. 4, render נִשְׁתָּוָה are alike. Vulg. comparantur. Gr. Venet. ἰσοῦται, but things to be compared are never in the Proverbs joined together by so frigid a term of comparison.-Targ. a contentious woman who brawls, which may be defended by comparing סְתָו winter, storm, and Greek χειμασθῆναι ἀπειλαῖς, κεχειμᾶνται φρένες, pr. therefore, wintry, stormy. But the former explanation is the one which I prefer.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.