the Week of Proper 19 / Ordinary 24
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #7390 - רַךְ
1) tender, soft, delicate, weak
1a) tender, delicate (of flesh)
1b) weak of heart, timid
1c) soft (of words)
1c1) gentle words (substantive)
1448) kr (רכ RK) AC: ? CO: Loins AB: ?: The pictograph r is a picture of the head of a man, the k is a picture of the palm representing a covering. Combined these mean "man covered". The reproductive organs of the male including the lower abdomen which are always covered.
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 tender of flesh Genesis 18:7 (J; בֶּןבֶּֿקָר); tender, delicate, especially in body, of children Genesis 33:13 (J), compare (implying weakness of undeveloped character) 2 Samuel 3:39, נַעַר וָרָ֑ךְ 1 Chronicles 22:5; 1 Chronicles 29:1, (וְיָתִיד) רֵךְ Proverbs 4:3 ('of tenderage,' Toy, q. v.); of man ( + עָנֹג; i.e. delicately nurtured) Deuteronomy 28:54, so of woman Deuteronomy 28:56 ( + עֲנֻגָּה), Song of Solomon , figurative of Babylonian, Isaiah 47:1 ( + id.; רַךְ as substantive = tender (twing) Ezekiel 17:22 (in figurative); delicate, weak, of eyes Genesis 29:17 (E).
2רֵךְ (ה)לֵבָב weak of heart, timid, Deuteronomy 20:8 ( + יָרֵא), 2 Chronicles 13:7 (נַעַד).
3 soft, of words, absolute רַכּוֺת Job 40:27 = substantive, mild, Gentle words ("" תַּחֲנוּנִים); מַעֲנֶה רַךְ Proverbs 15:1 (opposed to דְּבַר עֶצֶב), לָשׁוֺן רַכָּה Proverbs 25:15.
רַךְ f. רַכַּה adj. (from the root רָכַךְ)
(1) tender, spoken of little children, Genesis 33:13 of cattle, young and tender of flesh, Genesis 18:7.
(2) infirm, 2 Samuel 3:39. עֵינַיִם רַכּוֹת weak, dull eyes [ Genesis 29:17 ], (which was considered a defect, compare 1 Samuel 16:12). Vulg. lippi, Genesis 29:17. LXX. ἀσθενεῖς. Hence
(3) delicate, Deuteronomy 28:54, 56 Deuteronomy 28:56.
(4) soft, Proverbs 15:1. רַכּוֹת soft words, Job 40:27.
(5) רַךְ לֵבָב fearful, Deuteronomy 20:8; 2 Chronicles 13:7.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.