the First Week of Advent
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6845 - צָפַן
1) to hide, treasure, treasure or store up
1a1) to hide, treasure, treasure up
1a2) to lie hidden, lurk
1b) (Niphal) to be hidden, be stored up
1c) (Hiphil) to hide, hide from discovery
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 masculine singular ׳צ Proverbs 27:16: 2 masculine singular צָפַנְתָּ Job 10:13 +, etc.; Imperfect יִצְמֹּן Job 21:19 + Proverbs 2:7 Qr (Kt רצפן), suffix יִצְמְּנֵנִי Psalm 27:5, etc.; Participle active plural suffix צֹפְנֶיהָ Proverbs 27:16; passive צָפוֺן Proverbs 13:22 +, Psalm 17:14 Kt; feminine צְפוּנָךְ Hosea 13:12, etc.; —
1 transitive hide, with accusative of person Exodus 2:2 (E), Joshua 2:4 (JE), of hiding a quarrelsome woman, like hiding wind Proverbs 27:16 (twice in verse) (si vera 1.; compare Toy); of ׳י's hiding his servants (from evil) Psalm 27:5; Psalm 31:21: = treasure up a thing, Proverbs 10:14, + אִתְּךָ with thyself, in thine own keeping Proverbs 2:1 = Proverbs 7:1, in (ב) the heart Job 10:13 (subject ׳י; of secret purposes), Psalm 119:11, compare Job 23:12; + ל person Proverbs 13:22; Song of Solomon 7:14, subject ׳י 21:19 reserve penalty; blessings Psalm 31:20; Proverbs 2:7 + מִן Job 17:4 thou [God] hast treasured up their heart away from understanding, kept it therefrom; passive, of sin Hosea 13:12 (absolute; "" צָרוּר); read possibly צָפוּן for צָפוּ Job 15:22 treasured up for (אֱלֵי) the sword (see I. צפה); צָפוּן = treasured, cherished place (i.e.Jerusalem) Ezekiel 7:22; = treasure Psalm 17:14 Qr (Kt צפינך, see צפין), Job 20:26 (on dubious text see Bu); plural of ׳י's treasured ones, his saints Psalm 83:4.
2 intransitive lie hid, lurk, absolute Psalm 56:7, with ל person Proverbs 1:11,18 and (of eyes of wicked) Psalm 10:8.
Niph`al Perfect 3 masculine singular נִצְמֵּן Jeremiah 16:17 be hidden from before (מִנֶּנֶד) ׳י s eyes ("" נִסְתְּרוּ); 3 plural נִצְמְּנוּ Job 24:1 + מִשַׁדַּי stored up on the part of shadday; stored up for (ל) one Job 15:20.
Hiph`il hide, =
Qal: Imperfect 2 masculine singular suffix תַּצְמִּנֵנִי Job 14:18, with ב location; 3 masculine plural יצפינו Psalm 56:7 Kt (but < Qr see
Qal); Infinitive construct suffix הַצְּפִינוֺ (Ges§ 20h) Exodus 2:3 to hide him.
צָפַן fut. יִצְפֹּן (cogn. טָמַן)
(1) to hide, to conceal, Exodus 2:2; Joshua 2:4. Part. pass. צָפוּן hidden, i.e. secret, inaccessible, Ezekiel 7:22. Especially to guard and defend any one, Psalms 27:5, 83:4, צְפוּנֵי יְהֹוָה those protected by Jehovah. Intrans. to hide oneself (or ellipt. to hide nets, snares), to lie in wait, followed by לְ Proverbs 1:11, 18 Psalms 10:8 absol. 56:7 קרי.
(2) to lay up, to store up. Part. צְפוּנִים riches, treasures, Job 20:26; Psalms 17:4 קרי. Followed by לְ to lay up for any one, Job 21:19; Psalms 31:20. Job 20:26, כָּל־חשֶׁךְ טָמוּן לִצְפוּנָיו “every misfortune is laid up for his treasures.” צָפַן בְּלֵב to hide with one’s self (lay up in one’s heart), Job 10:13 צ׳ אִתּוֹ id. Proverbs 2:1, 7:1.
(3) to restrain, Proverbs 27:16 followed by מִן to deny to any one, Job 17:4.
Niphal, to be hidden from any one, i.e. to be unknown to him, followed by מִן Job 24:1; Jeremiah 16:17.
(2) to be laid up, i.e. to be destined for any one, followed by לְ Job 15:20.
Hiphil, i.q. Kal No. 1, to hide, Exodus 2:3; Job 14:13 to lie in wait Psalms 56:7 כתיב.
Derivatives, צָפוֹן (צְפוֹנִי), מַצְפֻּנִים, and pr.n. צְפוֹן, and