Consider helping today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #5337 - נָצַל
1) to snatch away, deliver, rescue, save, strip, plunder
1a1) to tear oneself away, deliver oneself
1a2) to be torn out or away, be delivered
1b1) to strip off, spoil
1b2) to deliver
1c1) to take away, snatch away
1c2) to rescue, recover
1c3) to deliver (from enemies or troubles or death)
1c4) to deliver from sin and guilt
1d) (Hophal) to be plucked out
1e) (Hithpael) to strip oneself
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
נָצַל not used in Kal, pr. to draw out, to pull out; نصل and نضل, Ethiop. ነጸለ፡ to take away. Kindred are נָשַׁל, שָׁלַל.
(1) to take away, to strip off something, from some one, 2 Chronicles 20:25.
(2) followed by an acc. of pers. to despoil any one, Exodus 3:22, 12:36.
(3) to snatch out of danger, to preserve, Ezekiel 14:14 see Hiph.
(1) to pull a way; followed by בֵּין to pull apart. 2 Samuel 14:6, “the boys strove together in the field וְאֵין מַצִּיל בֵּינֵיהֶם and there was not one to pull them apart;” niemand riß fie aus einander.
(2) i.q. Piel No. 1; to take away, to deprive of, Genesis 31:9 followed by מִן verse 16 Genesis 31:16; Psalms 119:43. 2 Samuel 20:6, וְהִצִּיל עֵינֵנוּ “and (lest) he take away our eye,” i.e. withdraw himself from our eyes.
(3) to snatch, to deliver any one from danger; with an acc. of pers. (once with a dat. Jonah 4:6); followed by מִן Psalms 18:49, 34:5, 18 Psalms 34:18; Micah 5:5 מִיַּד out of the hand, the power of any one, Genesis 32:12, 37:21, 22 Genesis 37:22; Exodus 3:8, 18:10 מִכַּף id. Isaiah 38:6 הִצִּיל נַפְשׁוֹ to save one’s own life, Ezekiel 3:19, 21 Ezekiel 3:21אֵין מַצִּיל there is no deliverer, none aiding, Psalms 7:3, 50:22 Isaiah 5:29.
Hophal הֻצַּל to be snatched or plucked out, Amos 4:11; Zechariah 3:2.
(1) pass. of Hiphil No. 3, to be plucked out, to be delivered, Isaiah 20:6; Jeremiah 7:10; Amos 3:12.
(2) to save oneself, to escape, Proverbs 6:3,. Followed by אֶל to escape to any one, Deuteronomy 23:16.
Hithpael, to strip oneself of any thing, with an acc. Exodus 33:6 comp. Heb. Gram. § 53, 3, letter d.
Eve of Ascension