the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #8628 - תָּקַע
1) to blow, clap, strike, sound, thrust, give a blow, blast
1a1) to thrust, drive (of weapon)
1a2) to give a blast, give a blow
1a3) to strike or clap hands
1b1) to be blown, blast (of horn)
1b2) to strike or pledge oneself
V) oqt (תקאה TQAh) - Thrust: To thrust a pole into the ground such as when setting up the tent. Also the thrust the sound of the trumpet by blowing. KJV (69): (vf: Paal, Niphal) blow, fasten, strike, pitch, thrust, clap, sound - Strongs: H8628 (תָּקַע)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 masculine singular ׳ת Genesis 31:25 +, 1 singular וְתָקַעְתִּ֫י Jeremiah 7:18, etc.; Imperfect 3 masculine singular תִּקְעוּ Jeremiah 3:37 +, suffix וַיִּתְקָעֵהוּ Exodus 10:19, etc.; Imperative masculine plural תִּקְעוּ Hosea 5:8 +; Infinitive absolute תָּקוֺעַ Joshua 6:9,13; construct לִתְקוֺעַ Judges 7:12, ׳כִּת Isaiah 18:3; Participle active תִּקֵעַ Proverbs 17:18 +, ect.; passive feminine תְּקוּעָה Isaiah 22:25; —
1 thrust, drive, weapon (accusative) into (ב) a person Judges 3:21; Judges 4:21; 2 Samuel 18:14, peg into (ב) something Isaiah 22:23,25 (compare Judges 4:21); hence pitch a tent (accusative), i.e. drive its pegs: Genesis 31:25 a Jeremiah 6:3 ( + עַל against, in figure), accusative omitted Genesis 31:25b; thrust, drive, beat (strands of hair together) בַּיָּחֵד Judges 16:4, insert a; so Judges 16:13 (so ᵐ5; compare GFM Comm. and PAOS Oct, 1889,176 ff.); thrust, drive locusts seaward (ה locative), Exodus 10:19 (J); compare בְּ׳ת 1 Samuel 31:10 of fastening bodies to wall, and similarly 1 Chronicles 10:10 (but read in both הוֺקִיעוּ √ יקע Lag We Dr and modern).
2 give a blast, blow (German 'stossen'), with ב of instrument (usually horn or clarion) Joshua 6:4,8,9,13 (twice in verse); Joshua 6:16,20 (JE), Judges 3:27; Judges 6:34; Judges 7:18 (twice in verse); Judges 7:19,20 14t., + Numbers 10:3,4,8,10 (P; see חֲצֹצְרָה), also Ezekiel 7:14 (see תָּקוֺעַ below); ׳ת alone Judges 7:20; Numbers 10:7 (P; opposed to חֵרִיעַ sound an alarm), with accusative תְּרוּעָה Numbers 10:5; Numbers 10:6; Numbers 10:6 (P; see חֲצֹצְרָה); with accusative of instrument Judges 7:22; Hosea 5:8; Isaiah 18:3; Jeremiah 4:5; Jeremiah 6:1; Jeremiah 51:27; Joel 2:1,15; Psalm 81:4, + תקעו Joshua 6:9 (Kt; Qr תֹּקְעֵי).
3 strike, clap hands; in triumph, כַּף עָלֶיךָ׳ת Nahum 3:19, כָ֑ף׳ת Psalm 47:2; also (late) of gesture ratifying a bargain, specifically pledging oneself to become surety, only Proverbs (all "" עַרַב): לַזָּר כַּמֶּיךָ׳ת Proverbs 17:18; Proverbs 22:26; absolute Proverbs 11:15.
Niph`al Imperfect 3 masculine singular
1 יִתָּקַע שׁוֺפָר Amos 3:6 if a horn be blown, compare ׳בְּשׁ׳יִתּ Isaiah 27:13 it shall be blown (a blast shall be given) on a horn.
2 מִיהֿוּאלְיָדִי יִתֵָּקעַ ׃ Job 17:3 who is there that will strike himself (i.e. pledge himself) into my hand ?
(1) to strike, to smite, especially with כַּף to clap the hands, as done
(a) in rejoicing, Psalms 47:2 especially at another’s misfortune, followed by עַל Nahum 3:19.
(b) in becoming surety, Proverbs 17:18, 22:26 followed by לְ for any one, Proverbs 6:1. Without כַּף id., Proverbs 11:15.
(2) to fix, by smiting, to drive in (einfchlagen), as a nail, Judges 4:21; Isaiah 22:23, 25 Isaiah 22:25 to fix any thing with a nail, 1 Samuel 31:10; 1 Chronicles 10:10; Judges 16:14 (whence תָּקַע אֹהֶל to pitch a tent with nails fixed into the ground, Genesis 31:25; Jeremiah 6:3); to thrust, e. g. a spear, a sword, Judges 3:21; 2 Samuel 18:14 and even to cast (into the sea), Exodus 10:19.
(3) תָּקַע בַּשּׁוֹפָר Numbers 10:3, Numbers 10:4, Numbers 10:8 and תּ׳ שׁוֹפָר Psalms 81:4; Jeremiah 4:5, 6:1 51:27 Numbers 10:6, Numbers 10:7, to blow, a trumpet (once), to give a signal with a trumpet (Germ. in die Trompete fto ßen, Arab. ضربالبوق); as to the difference of this from הֵרִיעַ and תָּקַע תְּרוּעָה to sound an alarm, see הֵרִיעַ p. 762, B.
(1) reflex. of Kal No. 1, b, Job 17:3, מִי־הוּא לְיָדִי יִתָּקֵעַ “who is there that will strike hands with me?” i.e. who will give his right hand to be surety for me?
(2) pass. of No. 3, Isaiah 27:13; Amos 3:6.
Hence pr.n. תְּקוֹעַ, and
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.