Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #8551 - תָּמַךְ
1) to grasp, hold, support, attain, lay hold of, hold fast
1a1) to grasp, lay hold of, attain
1a2) to hold up, support
1a3) to hold, keep
1a4) to take hold of each other
1b) (Niphal) to be seized, be held
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
תָּמַךְ fut. יִתְמֹךְ.
(1) to take hold of, followed by an acc. Genesis 48:17, and בְּ Proverbs 28:17, 5:5.
(2) to obtain, to acquire, e.g. honour, Proverbs 11:16, 29:23.
(3) to hold fast something taken, followed by an acc. Amos 1:5,. Metaph. Proverbs 4:4.
(4) to hold up, to support, followed by בְּ, Exodus 17:12, “they held up his hands.” God is very often said to sustain any person or thing; followed by בְּ Psalms 41:13, 63:9 Isaiah 42:1 followed by an acc. Psalms 16:5, 17:5.
(5) recipr. to take hold of each other, to hold together, to adhere; Job 36:17, דִּין וּמִשְׁפָּט יִתְמֹכוּ “cause and judgment follow one another;” compare אָחַז and לָקַד Hithp.
Niphal, pass. of No. 3; Proverbs 5:22.
the First Week of Advent