the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #7989 - שַׁלִּיט
1) having mastery, domineering, master
1a) having mastery
1a1) ruler (substantive)
1b) domineering, imperious
bm) uils (סהליתה ShLYTh) - Master: One who has dominion over another, also a rule or law as a master. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (14): governor, mighty, power, ruler, rule, captain, lawful - Strongs: H7989 (שַׁלִּיט), H7990 (שַׁלִּיט)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 having mastery: בָּרוּחַ׳אֵין אָדָם שׁ Ecclesiastes 8:8; elsewhere as substantive ׳הַשּׁ the ruler Ecclesiastes 10:5, so (with עַלהָֿאָרֶץ) Genesis 42:6 (probably late substitution for original word of E); plural as substantive שַׁלִּיטִים Ecclesiastes 7:19 (specifically of Alexander's successors Perles Anal. 42).
2 domineering, imperious, feminine singular (Kö ii. 10. 201) אִשָּׁה זוֺנָהשַׁלָּ֑טֶת Ezekiel 16:30 (Jerusalem personified).
שַׁלִּיט m. שַׁלֶּטֶת f. (for שַׁלֵּטֶת, for ־ִי is lost in inflexion)
(1) hard, vehement, i.q. سلِيطُ, and fem. שַׁלֶּטֶת Arabic سَلِيطَةُ an imperious and impudent woman, Ezekiel 16:30.
(2) having power over anything, Ecclesiastes 8:8, and subst. powerful one, ruler, Ecclesiastes 7:19, 10:5 Genesis 42:6.
(1) powerful, Daniel 2:10, 4:23 having power over any thing, followed by בְּ of thing, Daniel 4:14, 22, 29 5:21 subst. a prince, Daniel 2:15, 5:29 Ezra 4:20.
(2) followed by לְ with an inf. (there is, there is given) power to do anything, Ezra 7:24.