the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #7990 - שַׁלִּיט
1) having mastery, having authority, ruling
1a) having or exercising mastery, ruling
1b) ruler (substantive)
1c) having authority
1c1) it is authorised
bm) uils (סהליתה ShLYTh) - Master: One who has dominion over another, also a rule or law as a master. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (14): governor, mighty, power, ruler, rule, captain, lawful - Strongs: H7989 (שַׁלִּיט), H7990 (שַׁלִּיט)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 having, exercising, mastery:
a. of God, followed byב, Daniel 4:14; Daniel 4:22; Daniel 4:29; Daniel 5:21; absolute, of heavens Daniel 4:23
b. of kings Ezra 4:20 (ב).
2 as noun = ruler Daniel 2:10, captain Daniel 2:15.
3 having authority to do a thing (Infinitive), hence impersonal = it is authorized, Ezra 7:24 (so often in Syriac; compare S-C A 11 + אנת שליט למבנה).
שַׁלִּיט m. שַׁלֶּטֶת f. (for שַׁלֵּטֶת, for ־ִי is lost in inflexion)
(1) hard, vehement, i.q. سلِيطُ, and fem. שַׁלֶּטֶת Arabic سَلِيطَةُ an imperious and impudent woman, Ezekiel 16:30.
(2) having power over anything, Ecclesiastes 8:8, and subst. powerful one, ruler, Ecclesiastes 7:19, 10:5 Genesis 42:6.
(1) powerful, Daniel 2:10, 4:23 having power over any thing, followed by בְּ of thing, Daniel 4:14, 22, 29 5:21 subst. a prince, Daniel 2:15, 5:29 Ezra 4:20.
(2) followed by לְ with an inf. (there is, there is given) power to do anything, Ezra 7:24.