Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #7626 - שֵׁבֶט
1) rod, staff, branch, offshoot, club, sceptre, tribe
1a) rod, staff
1b) shaft (of spear, dart)
1c) club (of shepherd’s implement)
1d) truncheon, sceptre (mark of authority)
1e) clan, tribe
Nm ) ubs (סהבתה ShBTh) - I. Staff:A walking staff made from the branch of a tree. II. Tribe:As a branch of the family tree. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (191): tribe, rod, sceptre, staff, pen, dart, correction - Strongs: H7625 (שְׁבַט), H7626 (שֵׁבֶט)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
שֵׁבֶט & שֶׁבֶט with suff. שִׁבְטִי, pl. שְׁבָטִים, constr. שִׁבְטֵי m. (once f. Ezekiel 21:15), a staff stick, rod, so called from supporting: (to this answer, σκήπτων, σκῆπτρον, σκηπίων, scipio, scapus, Germ. Schaft); specially
(1) used for beating or striking, Isaiah 10:15, 14:5 and chastening (virga), Proverbs 10:13, 13:24 22:8 hence שֵׁבֶט אֱלוֹהַּ the rod with which God corrects (used of calamities sent by God), Job 9:34, 21:9 37:13 Isaiah 10:5.- Isaiah 11:4, שֵׁבֶט פִּיו “the rod of his mouth,” i.e. severe sentences. [But see 2 Thessalonians 2:8.]
(2) a shepherd’s rod a crook, Levit. 27:32 Psalms 23:4.
(3) the sceptre of a king, Genesis 49:10 [this belongs to No. 4]; Numbers 24:17; Psalms 45:7; Isaiah 14:5; Amos 1:5, and of a leader, Judges 5:14 whence
(4) a tribe of the Israelites (so called from the sceptre of the leader or prince of the tribe, see מַטֶּה No. 3 ), Exodus 28:21; Judges 20:2 sometimes also i.q. מִשְׁפָּחָה family, Numbers 4:18; Judges 20:12; 1 Samuel 9:21.
(5) a measuring rod, and meton. a portion measured off, Psalms 74:2; Jeremiah 10:16, 51:19.
(6) a spear (which consists of a staff or rod, with a spear-head put at the top), 2 Samuel 18:14. Compare מַטֶּה No. 2.
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20