the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6743 - צָלֵחַ
1) (Qal) to rush
2) to advance, prosper, make progress, succeed, be profitable
2a) (Qal) to prosper
2b1) to make prosperous, bring to successful issue, cause to prosper
2b2) to show or experience prosperity, prosper
2662) hly (תסלהה TsLHh) AC: Advance CO: Bowl AB: ?: A pushing forward or up as the sides of a pot or bowl. [from: ly- deep a bowl]
V) hly (תסלהה TsLHh) - Advance: To move forward in distance, position or in prosperity. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (69): (vf: Paal, Hiphil) prosper, come, effect, good, meet, break, went, promote - Strongs: H6743 (צָלֵחַ), H6744 (צְלַח)
Nf1) ehly (תסלההה TsLHhH) - Bowl: As advancing up the sides. KJV (1): pan - Strongs: H6745 (צַלַּחַת)
Nf2) thly (תסלההת TsLHhT) - Bowl: As advancing up the sides. KJV (3): bosom, dish - Strongs: H6747 (צֵלַחַת)
cf4) tihfly (תסלוההית TsLWHhYT) - Bowl: As advancing up the sides. KJV (1): cruse - Strongs: H6746 (צְלֹחִית)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 feminine singular וְצָֽלְחָה consecutive 1 Samuel 10:6; 3 plural צָֽלְחוּ 2 Samuel 19:18; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יִצְלַח Amos 5:6 (see below), 3 feminine singular וַתִּצְלַח Judges 14:6 +; — rush, הַיַּרְדֵּן׳וְצ 2 Samuel 19:18 they rushed into the Jordan (dubious, see Dr HPS), כָּאֵשׁ בֵּית יוֺסֵף׳יִצ Amos 5:6 lest he rush like fire upon the house of Joseph (or O house, etc. GASm; Now conjecture יַצִּית בָּאֵשׁ); especially of sudden possession by (אֱהִֹים) ׳רוּחַ י, with עַל, with person Judges 14:6 the Spirit . . . rushed upon him, so Judges 14:19; Judges 15:14; 1 Samuel 10:6,10; 1 Samuel 11:6; with אֶל person 1 Samuel 16:13 and (of רָעָה׳רוּחַ צ) 1 Samuel 18:10.
II. [צָלֵחַ, צָלַח] verb advance, prosper (Late Hebrew id.; Phoenician Pi`el causative in proper name; Arabic be good condition, compare Sabean תצלךְ SabDenkm93; Aramaic צְלַח, prosper ); —
Qal Perfect 3 feminine singular צָלֵ֑חָה Jeremiah 12:1; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יִצְלַח Jeremiah 13:7 +, etc.; Imperative masculine singular צְלַח; — prosper, of way of wicked Jeremiah 12:1 compare Numbers 14:41; Isaiah 53:10; Isaiah 54:17; Ezekiel 17:9,10; Daniel 11:27; with ל of thing, = be good for anything Jeremiah 13:7,10; Ezekiel 15:4; subject person, absolute, Jeremiah 22:30,20; Ezekiel 17:15; Psalm 45:5 be successful ! וַתִּצְלְחִי לִמְלוּבָה Ezekiel 16:13 and thou didst prosper to royalty (dubious; strike out ᵐ5 Co Toy; >Sta ZAW vi (1886), 337f. Krae לִמְלָאכָה i.e. harlotry).
Hiph`il Perfect 3 masculine singular הִצְלִיחַ Genesis 24:21,2masculine singular וְהִצְלַחְתָּ֫ 1 Chronicles 22:11, etc.; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יַצְלִיחַ Nehemiah 2:20 +, וַיַּצְלַח 1 Chronicles 29:23; 2 Chronicles 32:30, etc.; Imperative masculine singular הַצְלַח 1 Kings 22:12 +, הַצְלִ֫יחָה Nehemiah 1:11, יִ֯חָ֫ה Psalm 118:25, etc.; Participle מַצְלִיחַ Genesis 24:42 +; —
1 make prosperous, bring to successful issue, of ׳י, with accusative of man's way (דֶּרֶךְ), Genesis 24:21,40,42,56 (J), with accusative of thing Genesis 39:3,23 (J), with accusative of person 2 Chronicles 26:5, with ל person Nehemiah 1:11; Nehemiah 2:20; absolute send success Psalm 118:25; human subject with accusative דֶּרֶךְ Deuteronomy 28:29; Joshua 1:8 (D), Isaiah 48:15; Psalm 37:7, so probably Psalm 1:3 (al. below 2), 2 Chronicles 7:11; with accusative מִרְמָה Daniel 8:25.
2 shew, experience, prosperity, of men 1 Kings 22:12,15 2 Chronicles 18:11,14; Jeremiah 2:37 (+ ל person in reference to whom) Jeremiah 5:28; Jeremiah 32:5; 1 Chronicles 22:11,13; 1 Chronicles 29:23; 2 Chronicles 13:12; 2 Chronicles 14:6; 2 Chronicles 20:20; 24:20; 31:21; 32:30 (בְּכָלמַֿעֲשֵׂהוּ), Proverbs 28:13; Daniel 8:12 (of horn), Daniel 8:24; Daniel 11:36; אִישׁ מַצְלִיחַ Genesis 39:2 (J) a prosperous man; subject דֶּרֶךְ Judges 18:5 (compare Psalm 1:3 above), ׳י's word Isaiah 55:11.
III. צלח (√ of following; Late Hebrew צְלֹחִית = Biblical Hebrew; compare Aramaic צְלוּחִיתָא, (in Lexicons) flat dish; Ethiopic Amharic (see Prä Amh. Spr. § 65 c); Arabic , all bowl, dish; see Frä63. 170).
[צְלַח] verb prosper (see Biblical Hebrew II. צלח); —
Haph`el Perfect 3 masculine singular הַצְלַח Daniel 3:30; Daniel 6:29; Participle מַצְלַח Ezra 5:8, plural לְחִין- Ezra 6:14; —
1 cause to prosper Daniel 3:30 (with ל person).
2 shew prosperity, be prosperous Daniel 6:29 (of person); have success (in building) Ezra 6:14; be successful (of work) Ezra 5:8 (בְּיֶדְהֹם).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
צָלֵחַ fut. יִצְלַח
(1) to go over or through (as a river), followed by an acc. 2 Samuel 19:18. (Compare צֵלָחָה.)
(2) to attack, to fall upon, used of the Spirit of Jehovah falling upon a man; followed by עַל Judges 14:19, 15:14 1 Samuel 10:10, 11:6 followed by אֶל 1 Samuel 16:13, 18:10 used of God himself breaking forth upon men, poet. followed by an acc. Amos 5:6. (Compare בּוֹא No. 2, d.)
(3) to go on well, to prosper, to succeed as an affair, (comp. Germ. durchgehn, Fortgang haben; Lat. lex perfertur; Heb. אָשַׁר, כָּשַׁר), Isaiah 53:10 comp. 54:17 used of a man in an affair, Psalms 45:5; Jeremiah 22:30 to flourish, of a plant (fortkommen), Ezekiel 17:9, 10 Ezekiel 17:10. Followed by לְ to prosper for anything, to be fit for anything, Jeremiah 13:7, 10 Jeremiah 13:10. (Arab. صَلُحَ to be fit.)
(1) trans. to make successful, to prosper
(a) any one’s affair, Genesis 24:21, 56 Genesis 24:56, 39:3, 23 Genesis 39:23.
(b) any person, followed by an acc. of person, 2 Chronicles 26:5 followed by לְ Nehemiah 1:11, 2:20.
(2) to accomplish prosperously, to finish well, 2 Chronicles 7:11; Daniel 8:25 especially with the nouns דַּרְכּוֹ, דְּרָכָיו to make one’s way or counsel prosper, to be successful, Deuteronomy 28:29. Psalms 37:7, מַצְלִיחַ דַּרְכּוֹ “one who is successful in all things.” Hence without the acc. to be successful, as an undertaking, Judges 18:5 as a person in any undertaking, 1 Kings 22:12, 15 1 Kings 22:15; 1 Chronicles 22:13, 29:23 2 Chronicles 18:14; Proverbs 28:13; Jeremiah 2:37.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.