the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6643 - צְבִי
1) beauty, glory, honour
1a) beauty, decoration
2) roebuck, gazelle
2a) perhaps an extinct animal, exact meaning unknown
1393) by (תסב TsB) AC: Stand CO: Wall AB: ?: The pictograph y is a picture of a man on his side, the b is a picture of a tent. Combined these mean "side of the tent". The walls of the tent enclose what is inside. The tent walls stand firm and strong, protecting it from the harsh elements. As the family swells in size, the tent walls are enlarged.
fm) iby (תסבי TsBY) - I. Gazelle:An animal of a herd as an army. II. Beauty:The beauty and grace of the gazelle. KJV (32): roe, roebuck, glory, glorious, beautiful, beauty, goodly, pleasant - Strongs: H6643 (צְבִי)
V) aby (תסבא TsBA) - I. Muster:To gather for service, work or war. [Hebrew and Aramaic] II. Will:Ones desires. [Aramaic only] KJV (23): (vf: Paal, Hiphil) fight, assemble, muster, war, perform, wait, will - Strongs: H6633 (צָבָא), H6634 (צְבָה)
- A2033 Ryb (Gather, Fence)
- A2426 Byn (Stand, Pillar)
- A2654 Uby (Grasp)
- A2656 Rby (Pile, Pile)
- A2657 Tby (Handful)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1. a. beauty, decoration, עֶדְיוֺ׳צ, of silver and gold Ezekiel 7:20, of products of soil Isaiah 4:2 (predict.)
b. elsewhere in figure: of drunkard's chaplet, תִפְאַרְתּוֺ׳צ Isaiah 28:1,4 (figurative of Samaria); ׳עֲטֶרֶת צ Isaiah 28:5 (of ׳י); ׳הַצּ 2 Samuel 1:19 (Saul and Jonathan); ׳גְּאוֺן כָּלצֿ, of Tyre Isaiah 23:9; מַמְלָכוֺת׳צ Isaiah 13:19 (of Babylonian ); of land of Israel (Judah), צְבִי הִיא לְכָלהָֿאֲרָצוֺת Ezekiel 20:6,15, גּוֺיִם נַחֲלַת צְבִי צִבְאוֺת Jeremiah 3:19 (see above) heritage of the beauty of beauties of the nations, i.e. most beauteous heritage; ׳הַצּ especially of Jerusalem and temple Daniel 8:9 (Bev), compare ׳אֶרֶץ הַצּ Daniel 11:16,41 (see Dr), קֹֿרֶשׁ׳הַר צ Daniel 11:45(i.e. temple-hill); of cities of Moab, אֶרֶץ׳צ Ezekiel 25:9.
2 = honour, דִּיק׳לַצּ ׳צ Isaiah 24:16. — Ezekiel 26:20 read בִי׳וְתִתְיַצְּ for וְנָתַתִּי צְבִי, so Lxx Co Berthol Toy Krae and others
III. צבה (√ of following; Late Hebrew צְבִי, צְבִיָה = Biblical Hebrew; so Assyrian ƒabîtu, Arabic Aramaic טַבְיָה ).
II. צְבִי noun masculine Isaiah 13:14 gazelle; — ׳צ absolute Deuteronomy 12:15 +; plural צְבָיִם 2 Samuel 2:18, צְבָאיִם 1 Chronicles 12:9 (Gi Baer; van d. H. v. 1 Chronicles 12:8), צְבָאוֺת Song of Solomon 2:7; Song of Solomon 3:5; — gazelle, allowed as food Deuteronomy 14:5, compare Deuteronomy 12:15,22 (although not for sacrifice, Dr; all + אַיָּל), so Deuteronomy 15:22 (+ אַיָּל, יַחְמוּר, etc.), see 1 Kings 5:3; simile of swiftness 2 Samuel 2:18; 1 Chronicles 12:9 see above, Proverbs 6:5; of grace and beauty Song of Solomon 2:9,17; Song of Solomon 8:14 (compare Jacob Arab. Dichter iv. 20f.); hence used in adjuration Song of Solomon 2:7; Song of Solomon 3:5 ( + אילות); מֻדָּח׳צ Isaiah 13:14, simile of fugitives.
צְבִי m., in pause צֶבִי (from the root צָבָה No. 2).
(1) splendour, glory, Isaiah 4:2, 24:16 28:1, Isaiah 28:4, Isaiah 28:5. צְבִי מַמְלָכוֹ the glory of kingdoms, used of Babylonia, Isaiah 13:19. אֶרֶץ הַצְּבִי the glorious, or beautiful land, Daniel 11:16, 41 Daniel 11:41 and simply צְבִי 8:9 (and very often in the rabbins), of the land of Israel, compare Ezekiel 20:6, 15 Ezekiel 20:15, 26:12 Jerem. 3:19 and Daniel 11:45, הַר צְבִי קֹרֶשׁ “the mountain of holy beauty,” used of Mount Zion.
(2) a gazelle, so called from the beauty of its form (Arab. ظَبْىُ, Aram. טַבְיָא), 1 Kings 5:3; Isaiah 13:14; Proverbs 6:5. See Bochart, Hieroz. t. i. p. 924, seq.; 895, seq.; and the note of Rosenm. t. ii. p. 304, ed. Lips. The Hebrews, like the Arabs, so much admired the beauty of the gazelle, that they compared to them whatever is handsome and beautiful (Song of Solomon 2:9, 4:5 7:4, comp. Proverbs 5:19), and even swore by them, as Song of Solomon 2:7, 3:5, “I adjure you, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, by the gazelles, by the hinds of the field,” compare Arab. لا بظبى “nay, by the gazelles!” (do not so and so), like the Germ. ben Leibe nicht. Pl. צְבָיִם, צְבָיִים 2 Samuel 2:18 צְבָאִים 1 Chronicles 12:8 and צְבָאוֹ Song of Solomon 2:7, 3:5.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.