the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #4186 - מֹשָׁב
1) seat, assembly, dwelling-place, dwelling, dwellers
1a) seat, sitting, those sitting, sitting company or assembly
1b) dwelling place, dwelling
1c) situation, location
1d) time of dwelling
1e) those dwelling, dweller
1462) bs (סהב ShB) AC: Turn CO: Seat AB: ?: The pictograph s is a picture of the two front teeth representing pressing, the b is a picture of tent. Combined these mean "Press to the tent". A place of dwelling as the place returned to. A turning back or away from someone or something. A captive is one turned away from a place of dwelling. (eng: shove)
V) bfs (סהוב ShWB) - Return: To turn back. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (1074): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Hophal, Pual, Participle) return, again, turn, back, away, restore, bring, render, answer, recompense, recover, deliver, put, withdraw, requite - Strongs: H7725 (שׁוּב), H8421 (תּוּב)
V) bsi (יסהב YShB) - Sit: To set oneself down in the dwelling place for the night or for long periods of time. To settle or remain. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (1093): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hophal, Piel) dwell, inhabitant, sit, abide, inhabit, down, remain, in, tarry, set, continue, place, still, taken - Strongs: H3427 (יָשַׁב), H3488 (יְתִב)
- A2213 Bsh (Design, Invention)
- A2459 Kbx (Interweave, Net)
- A2807 Xbs (Weave, Wreath)
- A2809 Ybs (Weave, Plait, Anguish)
- A2812 Tbs (Cease)
- A2834 Bks (Lay, Bed, Copulation)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1. a. seat 1 Samuel 20:18,25 (twice in verse); Job 29:7; figurative אלהים יָשַׁבְתִּי׳מ Ezekiel 28:2.
b. sitting = those sitting, sitting company or assembly, מוֺשַׁבעֲבָדָיו 1 Kings 10:5 ("" מַעֲמַד מְשָֽׁרְתָיו) = 2 Chronicles 9:4; so Psalm 1:1; Psalm 107:32 ("" קהל).
2. a. dwelling-place of people tribe, etc., often= terriotory, district, or later, city; Genesis 10:39; Genesis 27:39 (both J), Exodus 10:23 (E), Numbers 24:21 (JE), Genesis 36:43 (P), Ezekiel 6:14; Ezekiel 48:15; 1 Chronicles 4:33; 1 Chronicles 6:39; 1 Chronicles 7:28; הָאָרֶץ׳מ Exodus 34:13 = habitable places of the land; distinct from city עָרֵיהֶם בְּמוֺשְׁבֹתָם Numbers 31:10, compare Ezekiel 6:6, but also עִיר מוֺשָׁב Psalm 107:4,7,36; of Zion as ׳י׳מ Psalm 132:13.
b. almost = abstract dwelling עַיר בֵּית מוֺשַׁב Leviticus 25:29 (P); ׳אֶרֶץ מ Numbers 15:2 land of your dwelling-places or dwelling (P).
c. = house Exodus 12:20 ("" בית Exodus 12:19),, Exodus 35:3; Leviticus 3:17; Leviticus 7:26; Leviticus 13:46; Leviticus 23:3,14,21,31; Numbers 35:29 (all P), Leviticus 23:17 (H).
3 situation of city 2 Kings 2:19; location of image Ezekiel 8:3.
4 time f dwelling Exodus 12:40 (P).
5 collective = those dwelling, ׳כֹּל מוֺשַׁב וגו 2 Samuel 9:12 all those dwelling in the house of ‚iba. — Ezekiel 37:28 see above and מְשׁוּבָה below שׁוּב.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.