Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #3724 - כֹּפֶר
1) price of a life, ransom, bribe
2) asphalt, pitch (as a covering)
3) the henna plant, name of a plant (henna?)
2283) rpk (כפר KPR) AC: Cover CO: Lid AB: Atonement: A protective covering to go over something or the covering of a debt or wrong. [from: ph] (eng: cover - with the exchange of the v and p)
V) rpk (כפר KPR) - Cover: KJV (102): (vf: Paal, Hitpael, Pual, Piel) atonement, purge, reconcile, forgive, purge, pacify, mercy, cleanse, disannul, appease, put, pardon, pitch - Strongs: H3722 (כָּפַר)
bm) ripk (כפיר KPYR) - I. Village:A village is a community outside of the city walls and covered with protection from the city. II. Young lion:[Unknown connection to root;] KJV (32): lion, village, young - Strongs: H3715 (כְּפִיר)
cm) rfpk (כפור KPWR) - I. Bason:A vessel with a lid cover. II. Frost:As covering the ground. KJV (9): bason, hoarfrost - Strongs: H3713 (כְּפוֹר)
cf2) trfpk (כפורת KPWRT) - Lid: As a covering. KJV (27): mercy seat - Strongs: H3727 (כַּפֹּרֶת)
gm) rpfk (כופר KWPR) - I. Covering:A covering such as pitch or a monetary covering such as a bribe or ransom. II. Village:A village is a community outside of the city walls and covered with protection from the city. KJV (19): ransom, satisfaction, bribe, camphire, pitch, village - Strongs: H3723 (כָּפָר), H3724 (כֹּפֶר)
edm) rfpik (כיפור KYPWR) - Atonement: A covering over of transgression. KJV (8): atonement - Strongs: H3725 (כִּפֻּרִים)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 a price for ransom of a life Job 33:24; Job 36:18; עַל׳כ Exodus 21:30 (Covt. code; "" מִּדְיֹן נַפְשׁוֺ); נפשׁ׳כ Proverbs 13:8; לְ׳כ ransom for Proverbs 6:35; Proverbs 21:18; Numbers 35:31,32 (P); כָּפְרוֺ his ransom Psalm 49:8 ׅ "" ( פדה; כָּפְרְךָ thy ransom Isaiah 43:3 ׅ "" ( תַּחְתֶּיךָ; כֹּפֶר alone 1 Samuel 12:3; Amos 5:12.
2 in the ritual of Pנַפְשׁוֺ ׳כ Exodus 30:12 is a half shekel of the sanctuary paid by each male above twenty years at the census in order that there might be no plague upon them. It was offered to Yahweh, לְכַמֵּר על to atone for them.
II. כֹּ֫פֶר noun masculine pitch (Arabic (loan-word, compare Frä150), Syriac ᵑ7. כּוּפְרָא; Assyrian kupru, kupur Dl HWB 348; compare גֹּפֶר ?) — Genesis 6:14 (P).
III. כֹּ֫פֶר noun masculine name of a plant, El „enna (√ dubious; Late Hebrew כּוֺפֶר; Aramaic כּוּפְרָא, Arabic El „enna, see Löw No. 159) — a shrub or low tree, with fragrant whitish flowers growing in clusters like grapes, אֶשְׁכֹּל הַכֹּפֶר cluster of Henna Song of Solomon 1:14 (fragrant, figurative of a beloved one); plural כְּפָרִים Song of Solomon 4:13.
IV. כֹּפֶר noun [masculine] village; — only singular construct כֹּפֶר הַמְּרָזִי 1 Samuel 6:18 villages of the peasantry.
כְּפַר הָעַמּוֺנִי see כָּפָר above
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
(1) i.q. כָּפָר a village, hamlet, 1 Samuel 6:18.
(2) pitch, so called from its being overspread, or overlaid; compare the root No. 2, Genesis 6:14. (Aram. ܟܘܽܦܪܐ and Arab. كَفْرُ id.)
(3) cypress, Gr. κύπρος, a shrub, or small tree, with whitish odoriferous flowers, growing in clusters; Arab. حِنَّاءُ, حِنَّأَةُ Lawsonia inermis, Linn., so called in Hebrew, as has been well suggested by Joh. Simonis, from a powder being made of its leaves with which, when mixed with water, women in the East smear over their nails, so as to make them of a red colour for the sake of ornament; Song of Solomon 1:14, אֶשְׁכֹּל הַכֹּפֶר a bunch of cypress; pl. כְּפָרִים Song of Solomon 4:13 compare O. Celsii Hierobot. t. i. p. 222; Oedmann, Verm. Sammlungen aus der Naturkunde, fasc. i. cap. 7.
(4) λύτρον, price of expiation, or redemption; Exodus 21:30, 30:12, כֹּפֶר נַפְשׁוֹ “the redemption-price of his life;” Isaiah 43:3, כָּפְרְךָ “the price at which thou wast redeemed.”
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.