the First Week of Advent
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2895 - טוֹב
1) to be good, be pleasing, be joyful, be beneficial, be pleasant, be favourable, be happy, be right
1a1) to be pleasant, be delightful
1a2) to be glad, be joyful
1a3) to be better
1a4) to be well with, be good for
1a5) to be pleasing
1b) (Hiphil) to do well, do good, act right, act rightly
1186) bu (תהב ThB) AC: ? CO: ? AB: Good: The pictograph u is a picture of a basket, used to contain or surround something. The b is a picture of a tent or house. Combined these mean "surround the house". The house is surrounded by grace, beauty, love, health and prosperity, something that is functional.
Nf) bfu (תהוב ThWB) - Good: Something that functions properly. KJV (591): good, better, well, goodness, goodly, best, merry, fair, prosperity, precious, fine, wealth, beautiful, fairer, favour, glad - Strongs: H2896 (טוֹב), H2898 (טוּב)
V) bui (יתהב YThB) - Good: To be good such as in being functional. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (108): (vf: Paal, Hiphil) well, good, please, merry, amend, better, accepted, diligently - Strongs: H3190 (יָטַב), H3191 (יְטַב)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect טוֺב Numbers 11:18 32t.; plural טֹבוּ Numbers 24:5; Song of Solomon 4:10; ( Imperfect יִיטַב from יָטַב); Infinitive absolute טוֺב Judges 11:25; construct טוֺב Jeremiah 32:39 6t., כְּטוֺב Judges 16:25 Qr (Kt כי טוב); Participle טוֺב Judges 11:25; 1 Samuel 2:26; (for these forms see Bö§ 1133,4 SS under the word; Ges recognizes only Perfects and fewer of them than above. It is often difficult to decide between verb and adjective ); —
1 be pleasant, delightful, of tents of Jacob Numbers 24:5 (J E; poetry); of caresses Song of Solomon 4:10 (followed by מִיַּיִן compare)
2 be glad, joyful טוֺב לֵב Judges 16:25 (Qr), 1 Samuel 25:36; 2 Samuel 13:28; Esther 1:10 (see טוּב 2 c).
3 of rank, position, claim: הֲטוֺב טוֺב אתה מבלק Judges 11:25 art thou really better than Balak?
4טוֺב לְ be well with, good for Numbers 11:18 (J), Deuteronomy 5:30; Deuteronomy 15:16; Deuteronomy 19:13; 1 Samuel 16:16,23; 2 Samuel 14:32; Psalm 119:71; Psalm 128:2; Jeremiah 22:15; so (that is לוֺ) Isaiah 3:10 it is well (with him); אז טוב Jeremiah 22:16 (compare Jeremiah 22:15); טוֺב אֶלֿ 1 Samuel 20:12 there is good toward David
5 be pleasing טוֺב בְּעֵינֵי (see II. טוֺב 2 b c f) Numbers 24:1 (J) 2 Samuel 3:19,36; 2 Samuel 15:26; 2 Samuel 19:38; אִם טוֺב בְּעֵינֵי 1 Kings 21:2; Jeremiah 40:4,4; Zechariah 11:12; later usage is אִם טוֺב עַל if it seem good unto (so Assyrian ‰âbu eli, be pleasing unto, Dl HWB 300 a), 1 Chronicles 13:2; Nehemiah 2:5,7; Esther 1:19; Esther 3:9; Esther 5:4,8; Esther 7:3; Esther 8:5; Esther 9:13 (compare טוֺב adjective ).
Hiph`il Perfect 2 masculine singular הֱטִיבוֺתָ 2 Chronicles 6:8, הֱטִיבֹתָ 1 Kings 8:18; 2 Kings 10:30; — do well, act right, followed by כִּי that 1 Kings 8:18 thou didst well, that it was in thine heart = 2 Chronicles 6:8; followed by infinitive with לְ 2 Kings 10:30 thou hast done well in performing what was right in mine eyes.
טוֹב pret. טֹבוּ; (for the future, the form יִיטַב, from יָטַב is used.)
(1) to be good (Arab. طَلبَ Med. Ye, to be good, pleasant, agreeable, especially used of a pleasant smell [“Ch. Syr. id.”], compare בָּאַשׁ, בְּאֵשׁ). Only used impersonally in the following phrases
(a) טוֹב לִי it is good for me, it goes well with me, Deuteronomy 5:30, 15:16 19:13 Numbers 11:18 also, to be well, to be in good health, 1 Samuel 16:16. Followed by אֶל id. 1 Samuel 20:12. Job 13:9, הֲטוֹב כִּי it is well for you that.-As to the passage Job 10:3, see letter b.
(b) טוֹב בְּעֵינַי it is good in my eyes, i.e. “it pleases me,” Numbers 24:1. In the later books it is followed by עַל 1 Chronicles 13:2. Esther 1:19, אִם־עַל־הַמֶּלֶךְ טוֹב “if it please the king.” Esther 3:9, 5:4, 7:3 Nehemiah 2:5 compare Ezra 5:17 once followed by לְ Job 10:3, הֲטוֹב לְךָ “does it please thee?” So Vulg. Ch.
(2) to be beautiful, pleasant, Numbers 24:5; Song of Solomon 4:10.
(3) to be cheerful, merry (a common meaning in Syriac), used especially of the heart, 1 Samuel 25:36; 2 Samuel 13:28; Esther 1:10.
(1) to do well, to do something rightly, with an acc. 1 Kings 8:18; 2 Kings 10:30.
(2) to do good to some one, to confer benefits, Ezekiel 36:11.
(3) to make fair, to adorn, Hosea 10:1.
(4) to make cheerful, Ecclesiastes 11:9. הֵיטִיב, from יָטַב, is more commonly used.
[Derivatives, the following words, and pr.n. טָֽבְאֵל, and טַבְרִמּוֹן.]
טוֹב f. טוֹבָה adj.
(1) good, in various senses
(a) physically, as a good (i.e. fertile) land, Exodus 3:8 a good tree, 2 Kings 3:19 good gold, i.e. pure, Genesis 2:12.
(b) ἠθικῶς, good, kind, upright, Isaiah 5:20 and neutr. goodness, uprightness, kindness. עָשָׂה טוֹב he acted well, he lived honestly, Psalms 34:15, 37:3 Ecclesiastes 7:20. עָשָׂה טוֹב עִם to shew kindness to some one, Genesis 26:29. טוֹב לְ to be kind towards some one, Lamentations 3:25. טוֹב עַיִן a man of a kind eye, i.e. merciful, opp. to רַע עַיִן, Proverbs 22:9, where see LXX. Vulg. לֹא טוֹב by λιτότης, wicked, evil, Proverbs 18:5, 20:23.-Often used
(aa) of a good, i.e. a happy lot, compare No. 4. הָיָה טוֹב לִי “it is well with me,” Ecclesiastes 8:12, 13. לָהֶם, לְטוֹב לָנוּ that it may be well with us, or with them, Deuteronomy 6:24, 10:13 Jeremiah 32:39 (properly for לִהְיוֹת טוֹב לְ, as in בְּצַר לִי, לְרַע לָהֶם). טוֹב לִי well for me! Psalms 119:17; Lamentations 3:27. לְטוֹב in a good sense, for welfare (compare טוֹבָה), often in medial phrases, Psal. 119:122 Deuteronomy 30:9.
(bb) טוֹב בְּעֵינֵי פ׳ good in the eyes of some one, what pleases some one, Numbers 24:1; Deuteronomy 6:18. Genesis 16:6, עֲשִׂי־לָהּ הַטּוֹב בְּעֵינַיִךְ “do to her that which seems good to thee” = do with her as thou wilt, Genesis 19:8; Judges 10:15, 19:24 also followed by לִפְנֵי Ecclesiastes 2:26 and לְ Job 10:3 [but see verb]; Deuteronomy 23:17.-Adv. well, very good, 2 Samuel 3:13; Ruth 3:13, and subst. something good, that which is good, Job 7:7 placed as a genitive after a noun, as בִּרְכַּת טוֹב a blessing of good, for a good blessing, Proverbs 24:25.
(2) goodly, fair, beautiful, used of persons, Exodus 2:2; Genesis 6:2 and of things, Isaiah 5:9 more often with the addition of מַרְאֶה Genesis 24:16; Esther 1:11, 2:3,.
(3) pleasant, agreeable, Genesis 3:6; Song of Solomon 1:2, 7:10. Especially used of smell, שֶׁמֶן הַטּוֹב sweet smelling ointment, Psalms 133:2; Isaiah 39:2; Song of Solomon 1:3. קָנֶה הַטּוֹב sweet calamus, Jeremiah 6:20.
(4) well off, prosperous, happy, comp. No. 1, (aa); Isaiah 3:10; Jeremiah 44:17. Psalms 112:5, טוֹב־אִישׁ “O happy man.” Ecclesiastes 5:4, 17 7:18 compare Lamentations 3:26; Amos 6:2. (Syr. ܛܘܽܒܰܝܗܘܽܢ ܕ O the blessings of.-Often used for Heb. אַשְׁרֵי, see Matthew 5:2, Pesh.)
(5) distinguished, great, excelling. Psalms 69:17, כִּי טוֹב חַסְדֶּךָ “for great is thy loving-kindness.” Psalms 109:21 (comp. Ruth 3:10). Syr. ܛܳܒ adv. very.
(6) cheerful, merry, Esther 8:17; 1 Kings 8:66 בְּלֵב טוֹב with a merry heart. Ecclesiastes 9:7.
(7) [Tob], pr.n. of a region beyond Jordan, Judges 11:3; 2 Samuel 10:6 apparently, i.q. Τούβιον, LXX. Vat. Τώβιον, 1Ma_5:13.