the First Week of Advent
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2791 - חֶרֶשׁ
1) silently, secretly (adverb)
2) magic art, magician (noun masculine)
V) srh (ההרסה HhRSh) - I. Plow:To scratch a line in the soil. II. Devise:To scratch out a plan. III. Silent:[Unknown connection to root;] KJV (73): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael) peace, plow, devise, silence, hold, altogether, plowman, cease, conceal, deaf, graven imagine - Strongs: H2790 (חָרֵשׁ)
Nm) srh (ההרסה HhRSh) - I. Craftsman:One who engraves wood, stone or metal. II. Silent:[Unknown connection to root;] KJV (46): craftsman, artificer, secretly, carpenter, workman, engraver, artificer, smith, maker, skilful, worker, wrought, deaf - Strongs: H2791 (חֶרֶשׁ), H2795 (חֵרֵשׁ), H2796 (חָרָשׁ)
gm) srfh (ההורסה HhWRSh) - I. Craftsman:One who engraves wood, stone or metal. II. Forest:From its wood being used for carving. KJV (8): artificer, wood, forest, bough, shroud - Strongs: H2793 (חֹרֶשׁ), H2794 (חָרַשׁ)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
adverb silently, secretly — ׳מְרַגְּלִים ח Joshua 2:1 (JE) exploring secretly.
III. חרשׁ (√ of following; meaning unknown).
II. חֶ֫רֶשׁ noun [masculine] magic art, or perhaps magic drug (Aramaic practise magic, חָרָשׁ, magician, incantation, magic art, preparation of magic potion, so Ethiopic one using incantations; incantation, magic; compare perhaps Arabic , a medicinal broth given to women in childbed; חֶרֶשׁ perhaps magical drug, see RS JPh xiv. 1885,125) — only חֲכַםחֲרָשִׁים Isaiah 3:3 skilled in magic arts, or drugs ("" נְבוֺן לָ֑חַשׁ), ( > others Generally = handicraft).
(1) work of an artificer. Hence גֵּי חֲרֶשִׁים the valley of craftsmen near Jerusalem, 1 Chronicles 4:14; Nehemiah 11:33.
(2) an artifice, used in a bad sense of magic arts, like the Syr. ܚܰܪܫܳܐ, ܚܶܪܫܳܐ, compare ܚܰܪܳܫܐܳ Chaldee חֶרָשׁ a magician, an enchanter. Isaiah 3:3, חֲכַס חֲרָשִׁים, “one skilled in artifices,” i.e. in magic: there follows נְבוֹן לַחַשׁ a skilful enchanter. So Ch.; on the other hand LXX., Vulg., Syr., Saad. understand, a skilfud workman.
(3) silence (root No. 4), and adv. silently, Joshua 2:1.
(4) [Heresh], pr.n. of a man, 1 Chronicles 9:15.