the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2266 - חָבַר
1) to unite, join, bind together, be joined, be coupled, be in league, heap up, have fellowship with, be compact, be a charmer
1a1) to unite, be joined
1a2) to tie magic charms, charm
1b1) to unite with, make an ally of
1b2) to unite, join, ally
1c1) to be allied with, be united
1c2) to be joined together
1d) (Hiphil) to join together, pile up (words)
1e) (Hithpael) to join oneself to, make an alliance, league together
2143) rbh (ההבר HhBR) AC: Couple CO: Clamp AB: Companion: The binding together as being coupled. [from: bh- as being enclose]
V) rbh (ההבר HhBR) - Couple: To bind by coupling together. KJV (29): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Pual, Piel) unite, join, couple, compact, fellowship, league, heap - Strongs: H2266 (חָבַר)
Nm) rbh (ההבר HhBR) - I. Bound: II. Company:A group bound together. III. Companion:As bound to another. IV. Spell:As a binding. KJV (23): wide, enchantment, company, fellow, companion, together - Strongs: H2267 (חֶבֶר), H2269 (חֲבַר), H2270 (חָבֵר), H2271 (חַבָּר)
Nf1) erbh (ההברה HhBRH) - Company: A group bound together. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (2): fellows, company - Strongs: H2273 (חַבְרָה), H2274 (חֶבְרָה)
Nf2) trbh (ההברת HhBRT) - Companion: One bound to another. KJV (1): companion - Strongs: H2278 (חֲבֶרֶת)
af2) trbhm (מההברת MHhBRT) - Joint: The place of joining. KJV (8): coupling - Strongs: H4225 (מַחְבֶּרֶת)
df1) erfbh (ההבורה HhBWRH) - Bruise: Striped bruises made by ropes binding the wrist or lashes with a rope. KJV (7): stripe, hurt, wound, bruise - Strongs: H2250 (חֲבֻרָה)
gf2) trbfh (ההוברת HhWBRT) - Coupling: Something bound to another. KJV (4): coupling - Strongs: H2279 (חֹבֶרֶת)
kf2) trbhm (מההברת MHhBRT) - Clamp: A device for joining. KJV (2): coupling, joining - Strongs: H4226 (מְחַבְּרוֹת)
ldf1) erfbrbh (ההברבורה HhBRBWRH) - Stripe: As made by lashes from a rope. KJV (1): stripes - Strongs: H2272 (חֲבַרְבֻּרוּת)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 masculine plural חָֽבְרוּ Genesis 14:3 Participle active masculine חֹבֵר Deuteronomy 18:11,חוֺבֵר Psalm 58:6; feminine pluralחֹבְרֹת Exodus 26:3 (twice in verse) + 2t. + Ezekiel 1:9 (compare below), חוֺבְרוֺת Ezekiel 1:11; Passive participle construct חֲבוּר Hosea 4:17 (yet. see below); —
1 unite, be joined:
a. of allies, followed by אֶלֹֿ location Genesis 14:3, construction pregnant = came as allies unto; passive participle figurative חֲבוּר עֲצַבִּים אֶפְרָ֖יִם Hosea 4:17 Ephraim is joined to idols (but We reads חבר, see חבֵר 2 d, and compare חֲבֵרָיו Isaiah 44:11, חֲבֶרְתְּךָ Malachi 2:14).
b. of one thing reaching to, touching another; wings of Ezekiel's living creatures followed by אֶלֿ of thing, Ezekiel 1:9 (strike out ᵐ5 B Co, but see Sm); compare אישׁ׳ח, Ezekiel 1:11, i.e. joining each one (transitive), < ᵐ5ᵑ6 Co אשׁה׳ח אלאֿחותה (as Ezekiel 1:9), united each to the other; so of curtains of tabernacle, followed by אֶלֿ of thing Exodus 26:3 (twice in verse); absolute joined together, of shoulderpieces of ephod Exodus 28:7 (all P; compare also Pu`al).
2 tie magic knots, charm (RS JPh xiv. 1885,123 thinks meaning charm is derived from nectere verba, and compare Arabic , narrative); only with accusative of congnate meaning with verb חָ֑בֶר׳ה Deuteronomy 18:11 (in a long series of kindred phrases), specifically of charming serpents Psalm 58:6 ("" מְלַחֲשִׁים).
Pi`el Perfect 3 masculine singular חִבַּר Exodus 36:10; 2 masculine singular וְחִבַּרְתָּ֫ Exodus 26:6 2t.; Imperfect וַיְחַבֵּר Exodus 36:10 2t.; suffix וַיְחַבְּרֵהוּ 2 Chronicles 20:36; Infinitive construct לְחַבֵּר Exodus 36:18; —
1 make an ally of unite one with, only ויחברהו עִמּוֺ 2 Chronicles 20:36 and he united him with himself, followed by Infinitive purpose.
2 unite, join (transitive), only Exodus (P), of tabernacle, object the curtains, followed by accusative + אֶלֿ of thing Exodus 26:6; Exodus 36:10 (twice in verse); Exodus 36:13;. followed by accusative only Exodus 26:9; Exodus 36:16; object אתהֿאהל join the tent together, Exodus 26:11; Exodus 36:18.
Pu`al Perfect 3 masculine singular חֻבָּ֑ר Exodus 39:4, וְחֻבָּ֑ר consec Exodus 28:7 (but see below) 3 feminine singular שֶׁחֻבְּרָהֿ Psalm 122:3; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יְחֻבַּר Ecclesiastes 9:4 Qr (Kt יבחר see below); suffix הַיְחָבְרְךָ Psalm 94:20 (Kö i. 257f.; Ges Ew Bö De and others as
1.a. be allied with thee (suffix reference to ׳י) Psalm 94:20;
b. be united to = be one of, אל כלֿ׳מי אשׁר יְח הַחַיִּם whoever is united to all the living (Kt יבחר is meaningless).
2 be joined together, of ephod ׳עַלשְֿׁנֵי קְצוֺותָ֯ו ח Exodus 39:4 by its two edges was it joined together; compare "" Exodus 28:7 (where ᵑ0אֶלשְֿׁנֵי קְצוֺתיו וְחֻבָּ֑ר < ᵐ5⅏ which read ׳ק׳עַלשֿׁ יְחֻבָּ֑ר); לָֿהּ׳עִיר שֶׁח Psalm 122:3 joined together for itself i.e. compactly built (of Jerusalem).
Hiph`il Imperfect 1 singular אַחְבִּ֫ירָה עליכם בְּמִלִּים Job 16:4 I could make a joining with words (i.e. join words together RV VB) against you.
Hithpa`el (late) Perfect אֶתְחַבֵּר (Ges§ 54 1n.) 2 Chronicles 20:35; Imperfect יִתְחַבָּ֑רוּ Daniel 11:6; Infinitive suffix הִתְחַבֶּרְךָ 2 Chronicles 20:37; Aramaic form הִתְחַבְּרוּת Daniel 11:23 (Ges§ 54, 3 R. 1) — join oneself to, make an alliance with, followed byעִם person 2 Chronicles 20:35,37, followed by אֶלֿ person Daniel 11:23; reciprocal league together (absolute) Daniel 11:6.
[חֲבַר] noun masculine fellow, comrade (ᵑ7 Syriac; see Biblical Hebrew); — plural suffix חַבְרוֺ֫הִי Daniel 2:13. D17 D18.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
חָבַר properly to bind, to bind together, (kindred to חָבַל No. I.), see Piel. Hence
(1) to join together, but almost always used intransitively, to be joined together, to adhere (Aram. ܚܒܪܰ, Eth. ኀበረ፡ id.). Exodus 26:3, 28:7 39:4 Ezekiel 1:9, 11 Ezekiel 1:11 used of peoples, to be confederate. Genesis 14:3, כָּל־אֵלֶּה הָֽבְרוּ אֶל־עֵמֶק הַשִּׂדִּים “all these came together as confederates unto the valley of Siddim.” Participle pass. Hosea 4:17, חֲבוּר עֲצַבִּים “allied to idols.”
(2) to bind, to fascinate, spoken of some kind of magic which was applied to the binding of magical knots; Gr. καταδέω, κατάδεσμος; compare Germ. bannen=binden, and other words which signify binding, which are applied to incantations; as Eth. አሠረ፡ Deuteronomy 18:11; Psalms 58:6 (of the incantation of serpents).
(3) to be marked with stripes, or lines, to be variegated; geftreift fehn; Arab. حَبَرَ, whence حِبَرَةُ a striped garment; pass. حُبِرَ to be striped (as the skin), i.e. to be marked with the traces of stripes and blows, see Kamûs, p. 491. Hence חֲבוּרָה a stripe, bruise, and חֲבַרְבֻּרוֹת the spots on the skin of a leopard. Comp. Schult. in Har. Cons. V. p. 156, 157.
(1) to connect, to join together, Exodus 26:6, etc.
(2) to bring into fellowship, to make an alliance. 2 Chronicles 30:26, וַיְחַבְּרֵהוּ עִמּוֹ “and he brought him into alliance with himself,” made a league with him.
Pual חֻבַּר, once חָבַּר (Psalms 94:20).
(1) to be joined together, Exodus 28:7, 39:4. (Ecclesiastes 9:4, קרי.) Psalms 122:3, of Jerusalem when restored, כְּעִיר שֶׁחֻבְּרָה לָהּ יַחְדָּו “as a city which is joined together,” i.e. the ruins of which, and the stones long thrown down and scattered, are again built together.
(2) to be associated with, to have fellowship with. Psal. 94:20, חַיְחָבְרְךָ כִּסֵּא הַוּוֹת “shall the throne of iniquity have fellowship with thee?”
Hiphil, to make, or enter into a confederacy. Job 16:4, אַחְבִּירָה עֲלֵיכֶם בְּמִלִּים “I could make a confederacy with words against you;” ich wollte mich mit Worten gegen euch verbünden. It is a metaphor taken from a warlike alliance. [“To twine, or weave, Job 16:4, ‘I would weave words against you.’ ”]
Hithpael הִתְחַבֵּר and (by a Syriacism) אֶתְחַבֵּר to join in fellowship, to make a league, 2 Chronicles 20:35, 37 2 Chronicles 20:37; Daniel 11:6. The infin. formed in the Syriac manner, is הִתְחַבְּרוּת Daniel 11:23.
Derivatives, see Kal No. 3; also see מַחְבֶּרֶת, מְחַבְּרוֹת, pr.n. חָבוֹר, and the words immediately following.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.