the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #1639 - גָּרַע
1) to diminish, restrain, withdraw, abate, keep back, do away, take from, clip
1a1) to diminish
1a2) to restrain
1a3) to withdraw
1b1) to be withdrawn
1b2) to be restrained
1c) (Piel) to withdraw, draw up
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Imperfect יִגְרַע Job 36:7, יִגְרָ֑ע Exodus 21:10; 2 masculine singular תִּגְרַע Deuteronomy 13:1 3t.; אֶגְרַע Ezekiel 5:11 (but compare below), וָאֶגְרַע Ezekiel 16:27; תִּגְרְעוּ Exodus 5:8 2t.; Infinitive לִגְרֹעַ Ecclesiastes 3:14; Participle גְּרוּעָה Isaiah 15:2 (so Baer; v. d. H. גְּדוּעָה see גדע), גְּרֻעָה Jeremiah 48:37; —
1 diminish, usually followed by מִן Exodus 5:8,19 (the tale of bricks), Deuteronomy 4:2; Deuteronomy 13:1 (in both, word of ׳י; opposed to הוסיף) compare Ecclesiastes 3:14, and also Jeremiah 26:2 (with accusative); with accusative also Exodus 21:10 (food etc.) compare Ezekiel 16:27; Passive participle diminished, clipped, of beard, Jeremiah 48:37 and Isaiah 15:2 (so Baer, rightly, compare his note and see גדע).
2 restrain Job 15:4 (with accusative שִׂיחָה meditation, devotion), Job 15:8 (with accusative חָכְמָה, followed by אֵלֶיךָ, i.e. unto, for thyself, monopolize; De Di Da render draw unto thyself, appropriate; Schult. compare Arabic swallow, compare Ew saugst zu dir ein Weisheit).
3 withdraw Job 36:7 (object עַיִן, eye, followed by מִן); Ezekiel 5:11 absolute (si vera lectio); Co. reads אֶתְגָּרֶה, for אֶגְרַע, on internal grounds; others: withdraw (thy needs) Sm (compare Ezekiel 16:27); withdraw (mine eye) Ges Ke.
Niph`al Perfect וְנִגְרַע consecutive Leviticus 27:18; וְנִגְרְעָה Numbers 36:3; Imperfect יִגָּרַע Numbers 27:4; Numbers 36:4, יִגָּרֵ֑עַ Numbers 36:3; 1 plural נִגָּרַע Numbers 9:7; Participle נִגְרָע Exodus 5:11; —
1 be withdrawn with מִן Numbers 36:3 (twice in verse); Numbers 36:4 (inheritance, נחלה); Numbers 27:4 a name out of a family; Exodus 5:11 (מֵעֲבֹדַתְכֶם דָּבָר); impersonal Leviticus 27:18 ( abatement shall be made).
2 be restrained followed by infinitive Numbers 9:7. Pi`el Imperfect יְגָרַע Job 36:27 withdraw = draw up with accusative נִטְפֵימָֿ֑יִם compare Di (on other hand, De and others draw down, let down).
גָּרַע fut. יִגְרַע to scratch, to scrape (like very many verbs beginning with גר), hence
(1) to scrape off the beard (like the Syr. ܓܪܰܥ), Jeremiah 48:37 according to some copies, Isaiah 15:2 (see under גָּדַע ). To this answers the Gr. κείρω, fcheeren. Hence
(2) generally to take away, to withhold (cogn. χῆρος, and intrans. careo). Jeremiah 26:2, אַל תִּגְרַע דָּבָר “take not away any thing (from it),” followed by מִן Job 36:7. Often גָּרַע מִן is equal to, to take away (something) from any thing, but so that the acc. of the part taken away is omitted. Compare opp. הוֹסִיף No. 2, Deuteronomy 4:2, 13:1 Exodus 5:8, 19 Ecclesiastes 3:14. Hence with an acc. to diminish, prop. to take away from.- Exodus 21:10; Ezekiel 16:27; Job 15:4, וְתִגְרַע שִׂיחָה לִפְנֵי אֵל “and thou withholdest prayer before God.” Followed by אֶל to take in, i.e. to lay up, to put in store for oneself; für fich behalten, compare גָּרַם. Job 15:8, “hast thou hearkened in the council of God, וְתִגְרַע אֵלֶיךָ חָכְמָה and hast thou taken in all knowledge?” Cognate is the Arabic usage, in which جرع is to absorb, to swallow down.Piel i.q. Kal No. 2, to draw in. Job 36:27, כִּי יְגָרַע נִטְפֵי־מַיִם “after (God) attracts, (draws up) the drops of water.”
(1) pass. of Kal No. 2, to be taken away, withheld. Construed either so that the thing to be taken away is expressly marked, Numbers 27:4, 36:3 or so that it is supplied, נִגְרַע מִן there is taken away from any thing, a thing is lessened, Numbers 36:3, fin.; Exodus 5:11; Leviticus 27:18. Hence
(2) to be put back, made less of, Numbers 9:7.