the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #1431 - גָּדַל
1) to grow, become great or important, promote, make powerful, praise, magnify, do great things
1a1) to grow up
1a2) to become great
1a3) to be magnified
1b1) to cause to grow
1b2) to make great, powerful
1b3) to magnify
1c) (Pual) to be brought up
1d1) to make great
1d2) to magnify
1d3) to do great things
1e) (Hithpael) to magnify oneself
2054) ldc (גדל GDL) AC: Magnify CO: Rope AB: Magnificent: A cord is made by twisting fibers together, the larger and more numerous the fibers, the stronger the cord will be. Anything that is large or great in size or stature. [from: dc- from the twisting of sinew to make cords.] (eng: great - with the exchange and reversal of the r and l and the t and d)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect ׳ג etc. Genesis 38:14 14t.; suffix גְּדֵלַנִי Job 31:18; Imperfect יִגְדַּל etc. Psalm 35:27 34t.; —
1 grow up,
a. child Genesis 21:8,20; Genesis 25:27; Genesis 38:11,14; Exodus 2:10,11 (JE) Judges 11:2; Judges 13:24; Ruth 1:12; 1 Samuel 2:21; 1 Samuel 3:19; 1 Kings 12:8,10 ( = 2 Chronicles 10:8,10) 2 Kings 4:18; גְּדֵלַנִי כְאָב he grew up to me as to a father Job 31:18;
b. lamb 2 Samuel 12:3.
2 become great,
a. in extent, wealthy Genesis 26:13 (twice in verse); Genesis 41:40 (JE) Jeremiah 5:27;
b. in value. ׳בְּעֵינֵי י, גָָּֽדְלָה נֶפֶשׁ בְּעֵינָ֑י prized by 1 Samuel 26:24 (twice in verse);
c. in intensity, grief Job 2:13, mourning Zechariah 12:11, punishment Lamentations 4:6, trespass Ezekiel 9:6;
d. in sound, loud cry Genesis 19:13 (J);
e. in importance, of a king Ecclesiastes 2:9; 1 Kings 10:23 ( = 2 Chronicles 9:22) Daniel 8:9,10 (under figure of horn), chief Genesis 24:35; Genesis 48:19 (J), Messiah Micah 5:3, Jerusalem Ezekiel 16:7;
f. of God 2 Samuel 7:22; Psalm 104:1, his works Psalm 92:6, his power Numbers 14:17 (J).
3 to be magnified,
a. house of David Zechariah 12:7;
b. Yahweh Psalm 35:27; Psalm 40:17; Psalm 70:5; Malachi 1:5, his name 2 Samuel 7:26 ( = 1 Chronicles 17:24).
Pi`el Perfect גִּדַּל Joshua 4:14; Esther 3:1; גִּדֵּ֔ל Isaiah 49:21; גִּדֵּ֑לָה Isaiah 51:18, etc.; Imperfect יְגַדֵּל Isaiah 44:14 8t.; Imperative גַּדְּלוּ Psalm 34:4; Infinitive גַּדֵּל Numbers 6:5 3t.; Participle מְגַדְּלִים 2 Kings 10:6 (מְגַדְּלוֺת Song of Solomon 5:15 ᵐ5ᵑ7 Hi Bö De); —
1 cause to grow, e.g. hair Numbers 6:5 (P), plants Jonah 4:10; Isaiah 44:14; Ezekiel 31:4; Song of Solomon 5:13; bring up children 2 Kings 10:6; Isaiah 1:2; Isaiah 23:4; Isaiah 49:21; Isaiah 51:18; Daniel 1:5; Hosea 9:12.
2 make great, powerful Genesis 12:2 (J) Joshua 3:7; Joshua 4:14 (D) 1 Kings 1:37,47; 1 Chronicles 29:12,25; 2 Chronicles 1:1; Esther 3:1; Esther 5:11; Esther 10:2.
a. man Job 7:17;
b. God Psalm 34:4; Psalm 69:31.
Pu`al Participle plural מְגֻדָּלִים brought up Psalm 144:12.
Hiph`il Perfect הִגְדִּיל Psalm 41:10 +, etc.; Imperfect יַגְדִּיל Isaiah 42:21; Daniel 8:25, etc.; Infinitive הַגְדִּיל 1 Chronicles 22:8; Amos 8:5; Participle מַגְדִּיל Psalm 18:51 ( = מִגְדֹּיל in "" 2 Samuel 22:51); plural מַגְדִּילִים Psalm 35:26; —
1 make great, e.g. shekel Amos 8:5, pile for fire Ezekiel 24:9, joy Isaiah 9:2, counsel Isaiah 28:29, wisdom Ecclesiastes 1:16, works Ecclesiastes 2:4, house of Yahweh 1 Chronicles 22:5; the heel Psalm 41:10 either lifted high (Ges), or (compare De Now) gave me insidiously a great fall; compare מִּיךָ׳ג Obadiah 12i.e. utter proud words (see רחב Hiph`il)
2 magnify, salvation Psalm 18:51, so "" 2 Samuel 22:51 (Kt מַגְדִּיל; > Qr מִגְדֹּל), mercy Genesis 19:19 (J), teaching Isaiah 42:21, the word of Yahweh Psalm 138:2.
3 do great things הִגְדִּיל לַעֲשׂוֺת,
a. in a good sense, of God Psalm 126:2; Psalm 126:3; Joel 2:21, also pregnant without Infinitive 1 Samuel 12:24.
b. in bad sense, of 'the northern one' Joel 2:20, also pregnant without Infinitive Lamentations 1:9; Zephaniah 2:8,10; Daniel 8:4,8,11,25; with עַל, of enemies Psalm 35:26; Psalm 38:17; Psalm 55:13; Job 19:5; Jeremiah 48:26,42; Ezekiel 35:13 of speaking עָלַי בְּפִיכֶם׳ג.
c. also, with Infinitive implied, wept greatly 1 Samuel 20:41.
Hithpa`el Perfect וְהִתְגַּדִּלְתִּ֫י Ezekiel 38:23 I will magnify myself, shew myself great and powerful (of God); Imperfect יִתְגַּדֵּל, with עַל in a bad sense, magnify oneself against Isaiah 10:15; Daniel 11:36; יִתְגַּדָּ֑ל Daniel 11:37.
(1) pr. to twist together, to bind together, like the Arab. جدل. to twist, to twine a cord, Ch. גְּדַל, Syr. ܓܕܠ to twist, to twine, whence Heb. גְּדִילִים threads twisted together. This primary power is partly in the cognate languages applied to wrestling, whence جَادَلَ to wrestle, and Ethiopic ገደለ፡ to wrestle, to contend;-partly to strength and force, like other verbs of binding and twisting, חוּל, חָבַל, בָּבַר, קָשֵׁר, whence Arabic جَدَلُ strength. Hence the intrans. signification which is almost the only one in Hebrew
(2) to be or become great, to grow, pret. E, Job 31:18 fut. יִגְדַּל. (A trace of a transitive power is found in the pr.n. גְּדַלְיָה which see.) Genesis 21:8, 25:27 38:14 Exodus 2:10, 11 Job 31:18, גְּדֵלַנִי כְאָב “the orphan grew up to me as a father,” i.e. with me, under my care. The suffix is to be taken as a dative. It is applied to riches and power, Genesis 26:13, עַד בִּי־גָדַל מְאֹד “until he became very great,” i.e. very rich; 24:35 48:19 41:40 “only in the throne will I be greater than thou,” I will only be above thee in the royal dignity.
(3) to be greatly valued, 1 Samuel 26:24 (compare verse 21 1 Samuel 26:21). Also to be celebrated with praises, Psalms 35:27, יִגְדַּל יְהֹוָה “praised be Jehovah;” 40:17 70:5 2 Samuel 7:26.
Piel גִּדַּלִ, in the end of a clause גִּדֵּל (Joshua 4:14; Esther 3:1). [“Compare Lehrg. § 93, n. 1; Heb. Gram. § 51, n. 1.”]
(1) to cause and to take care that any thing shall grow, and become great, hence, to nourish, to train, as the hair, Numbers 6:5 to nourish plants, trees; used of the rain, Isaiah 44:14; Ezekiel 31:4 to bring up children, 2 Kings 10:6; Isaiah 1:2, 23:4. Figuratively, to make rich and powerful, Joshua 3:7; Esther 3:1, 5:11 10:2 Genesis 12:2.
(2) to make much of, to value highly, Job 7:17, “what is man כִּי תְגַדְּלֶנּוּ that thou makest so much of him?” Hence to praise, to celebrate, Psalms 69:31 followed by לְ 34:4.
Pual, pass. of Piel No. 1, to be brought up, caused to grow. Part. Psalms 144:12.
(1) to make great, Genesis 19:19; Isaiah 9:2, 28:29 הִגְדִּיל לַעֲשׂוֹת to act nobly, to perform great actions, used of God, Joel 2:21 and without לַעֲשׂוֹת 1 Samuel 12:24 but see below. An ellipsis of another gerund is found, 1 Samuel 20:41, “they both wept, עַד־דָּוִד הִגְדִּיל (followed by לִבְכּוֹת) until David wept most violently.” The phrase is taken in a bad sense, הִגְדִּיל פֶּה Obadiah 1:12 הִגְדִּיל בְּפֶה Ezekiel 35:13, to speak arrogantly, proudly, also הִגְדִּיל לַעֲשׂוֹת to act arrogantly, Joel, 2:20 and simply הִגְדִּיל Lamentations 1:9; Zephaniah 2:8 followed by עַל Psalms 35:26, 38:17. Compare גָּבַר Hithpael.
(2) to make high, to lift up, Psalms 41:10.
(1) to shew oneself great and powerful, Ezekiel 38:23.
(2) to act arrogantly; followed by עַל Isaiah 10:15; Daniel 11:36, 37 Daniel 11:37.
Derivatives גָּדוֹל, גְּדוּלָה, גְּדִילִים, מִגְדָּל, and pr.n. יִגְדַּלְיָה, מִגְדֹּל, or מִגְדּוֹל. The rest follow immediately.