Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #06310 - פֶּה
1a) mouth (of man)
1b) mouth (as organ of speech)
1c) mouth (of animals)
1d) mouth, opening, orifice (of a well, river, etc)
1e) extremity, end
2) a weight equal to one third of a shekel, occurs only in 1 Samuel 13:21
1373) ep (פה PH) AC: Blow CO: Mouth AB: ?: The pictograph p is a picture of the mouth. A mouth is the edge of anything such as the place of the beard, a sword, a region. The edge or border, is often referring to all that is within the borders, the whole country. This parent root is identical to both apand ip.
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
פֶּה const. פִּי, with suff. פִּי (my mouth), פִּיו ;פִּיךָ, פִּיהֶם ;פִּיהוּ, poet. פִּימוֹ pl. פִּים 1 Samuel 13:21, and פִּיּוֹת. Proverbs 5:4 (both of signif. 3).
(1) the mouth. (Arab. فُوهَةُ, فَاهُ, فِيهُ, فُوهُ, const. فا, فى, فو, Eth. አፋ፡, id. The Hebrew form פֶּה is for פֵּיֶה, like שֶׂה for שֵׂיֶה, whence the fem. פֵּיָה; const. פִּי for פּיִי. The root פָּיָה, like פָּהָה, פָּאָה, and Med. quiesc. פּוּא, פּוּהַּ, פּוּחַ, فَاهَ had the sense of blowing, breathing, and the mouth is so called from the idea of breathing. [In Thes. from פָּאָה.] It is used of the mouth of animals (and even of the beak of a bird, Genesis 8:11; Isaiah 10:14); of men, Exodus 4:11 especially as being the organ of speech. To speak פֶּה אֶל־פֶּה mouth to mouth, without any one between, Numbers 12:8 פֶּה אֶחָד with one mouth, with one voice, Joshua 9:2. Job 19:16, בְּמוֹ־פִי “with (all) my mouth”, i.e. with the loudest voice that I can. Meton. for an orator, spokesman, messenger, Exodus 4:16 (comp. נָבִיא); commandment, Ecclesiastes 8:2, פִּי מֶלֶךְ שְׁמֹר “keep the commandment of the king.” Hence עַל פִּי by the command of, see below. More rarely the mouth as the organ of taste, hence Genesis 25:28, “venison (was) בְּפִיו in his mouth”, i.e. he liked its taste. Comp. בְּפִי, כְּפִי. The signification of mouth is variously applied to inanimate things. It is
(2) the mouth, opening of a bag, Genesis 42:27 of a well, Genesis 29:2 entrance of a city, Proverbs 8:3 of Hades, Psalms 141:7.
(3) an edge (a figure taken from the teeth, and the idea of biting), especially in the phrase הִכָּה לְפִי חֶרֶב to smite with the edge of the sword (see נָכָה ). Plur. (see above) the edge (of instruments of iron), 1 Samuel 13:21; Proverbs 5:4. See פִּיפִיּוֹת.
(4) edge, border (from its similarity to a lip), as of a garment, Psalms 133:2; Job 30:18 of the sea, Proverbs 8:29. פֶּה לָפֶה 2 Kings 10:21, 21:16 and מִפֶּה אֶל־פֶּה Ezra 9:11, from one edge to the other.
(5) part, portion (prop. as much food as any one can take in his mouth, comp. יָד No. 7, a portion which can be taken in the hand, a handful), Deuteronomy 21:17, פִּי שְׁנַיִם “two parts”, i.e. double; 2 Kings 2:9 also two (third) parts, Zechariah 13:8.
With prepositions it mostly becomes a particle
(a) according to the commandment of, 1 Chronicles 12:23.
(b) according to the rate of (nach Ausfage), at the rate of, or proportion, according to, Leviticus 25:52, כְּפִי שָׁנָיו “according to his years;” Numbers 6:21, 7:5, 35:8.
(c) i.q. כְּ, כְּמוֹ like as, like, Job 33:6, אֲנִי כְפִיךָ לָאֵל “I, even as thou (am created) by God.”
(d) כְּפִי אֲשֶׁר conj. according as, even as, Malachi 2:9 and without אֲשֶׁר so that, Zechariah 2:4.
(2) לְפִי i.q. כְּפִי (see לְ A, 9 )
(a) at the rate of, according to, Exodus 12:4; Genesis 47:12, לְפִי הַטָּף “according to the number of the family;” Hosea 10:12, “sow ye according to justice, קִצְרוּ לְפִי חֶסֶד and ye shall reap according to mercy.”
(b) followed by an inf. when (i.q. לְ followed by an inf. No. 7), Numbers 9:17; Isaiah 29:10.
(3) עַל פִּי according to the commandment, order of any one, Genesis 45:21; Numbers 3:16, 39, 51 Job 39:27 by the authority of any one, Deuteronomy 17:6 hence i.q. כְּפִי, לְפִי at the rate of, according to, Amos 6:5; Proverbs 22:6. עַל־פִּי הַדְּבָרִים according to the thing itself, i.e. as the thing was, according to the truth of the matter, Genesis 43:7.
the Week of Proper 8 / Ordinary 13