Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1035 - βρῶσις
- act of eating
- in a wider sense, corrosion
- that which is eaten, food, ailment
- of the soul's food, either which refreshes the soul, or nourishes and supports it
βρῶσις, εως, ἡ,
βρώμ-ιος Hes. Th. 797: (βιβρώσκω): —
1. meat, opp. πόσις, Od. 15.490, cf. Hp. Acut. 28, X. Mem. 1.3.15, Pl. Lg. 783c: in pl., opp. πόσεις, Democr. 235; β. ἀναγκαία Th. 2.70.
2. pasture, προβάτων PLips. 118.15 (ii A. D.).
1. eating, παίδων Pl. R. 619c; ἐρινὸς ἀχρεῖος ὢν ἐς βρῶσιν S. Fr. 181.
2. taste, flavour, Nic. Al. 377.
3. corrosion, rust, Matthew 6:19; decay, Gal. 6.422 (pl.), 12.879.
βρῶσις , -εως , ἡ (cf. βιβρώσκω ),
[in LXX chiefly for parts and derivatives of H398;]
1. eating: β . καὶ πόσις , Romans 14:17, Colossians 2:16 (v. Lft., ICC, in l); c. gen. obj., 1 Corinthians 8:4; metaph., corrosion, rust: Matthew 6:19; Matthew 6:28.
2. As also in cl. (Rom., al.) = βρῶμα , food: John 6:27 a, 2 Corinthians 9:10 Colossians 2:16 (EV, but v. supr.), Hebrews 12:16; metaph., of spiritual nourishment, John 4:32; John 6:27 b, John 6:55.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
P Lond 1223.9 (A.D. 121) (= III. p. 139) χόρτ ̣ο (ν ) εἰς μὲν ̣ β ̣ρ ̣ῶσ [ιν ] προβάτ (ων ), ";fodder for the pasturing of sheep"; : so P Lips I. 118.15 (A.D. 160–1).
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20