the Week of Proper 3 / Ordinary 8
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #4884 - συναρπάζω
- to seize by force
- to catch or lay hold of (one so that he is no longer his own master)
- to seize by force and carry away
fut. -άσω E. IA 535, Luc. DDeor. 8.1, -άσομαι Ar. Lys. 437, Xenarch. 8: —
snatch and carry away with one, carry clean away, S. OC 819, E. Or. 1493 (lyr.), X. Mem. 1.4.8, PSI 4.353.12 (iii B.C.), Gal. 6.301, etc.; ξ. [τινὰ] βίᾳ A. Pers. 195; βίᾳ ἐκ τῆς ὁδοῦ ς. τινάς Lys. 3.46, cf. 12.96; πάντα ς. ὥσπερ θύελλα S. El. 1150; ὁ κρατῶν ἅμα πάντα ς. X. Cyr. 4.2.26; ἀετὸς τὸν λαγὼ ς. ib. 2.4.19; seize and retain, οὐ δύνανται συναρπάζειν αἱ μῆτραι τὸν γόνον Hp. Aër. 21: metaph., carry away with one (by persuasive arguments), ξυναρπάσας στρατόν E. IA 531, cf. Call. Epigr. 32.5, Longin. 16.2, Gal. UP 3.10; οὐδένα ὑμῶν συναρπάζω I am not ' rushing ' you, Diog.Oen. 24; ς. ἑαυτὸν εἰς τὸ ἄνω, of mystical union with the One, Plot. 5.3.4: — Pass., to be seized and carried off, βία ξυναρπασθεῖσαν S. Aj. 498; ς. βουκόλων ὕπο Id. Fr. 659; by death, Phld. Mort. 37.
2. ξ. Χεῖρας seize and pin them together, E. Hec. 1163, cf. Lys. Fr. 75.4: — Med., ξ. τινὰ μέσον, of a wrestler, Ar. Lys. 437.
3. metaph., ξ. φρενί seize with the mind, grasp, S. Aj. 16, cf. Ar. Nu. 775; τὸ ῥηθέν Simyl. ap. Stob. 4.18.4; ς. τὸ ζητούμενον, in arguing, to be guilty of a petitio principii, Luc. JTr. 38, S.E. P. 2.35, etc.; so συνήρπασται εἰς κτητικὴν σύνταξιν is hastily concluded to have a possessive force, A.D. Synt. 165.9.
4. carry away, destroy all traces of, τι Luc. Dom. 16.
5. Pass., of persons, συνηρπασμένοι having been robbed, PRyl. 119.28 (i A.D.).
συναρπάζω: 1 aorist συνήρπασα; pluperfect συνηρπάκειν; 1 aorist passive συνηρπασθην; to seize by force: τινα, Acts 6:12; Acts 19:29; to catch or lay hold of (one, so that he is no longer his own master), Luke 8:29; to seize by force and carry away, Acts 27:15. (Tragg., Aristophanes, Xenophon, others.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
συν -αρπάζω ,
[in LXX: Proverbs 6:25 (H3947), 2 Maccabees 3:27; 2 Maccabees 4:41, 4 Maccabees 5:4*;]
"perfective " of ἁοπάζω (v. M, Pr., 113),
(a) to seize and carry away (so most commonly) : Acts 27:15;
(b) to seize and hold: Luke 8:29, Acts 6:12; Acts 19:29.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.