the Week of Proper 3 / Ordinary 8
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #378 - ἀναπληρόω
- to fill up, make full, e.g. a ditch
- to supply
1. fill up a void, Pl. Ti. 81b, cf. 78d; τὸ κεχηνὸς τῆς ἑρμηνείας, τοῦ ῥυθμοῦ, A.D. Synt. 266.22, Luc. Tim. 1: — Pass., to be filled up, Arist. Cael. 306b4.
2. make up, supply, εἴ τι ἐξέλιπον ἀ. Pl. Smp. 188e; τὴν ἔνδειαν Arist. Pol. 1318b22; τοὺς.. ἀμόρφους ἀνατληροῖ ἡ τοῦ λέγειν πιθανότης compensates them, Id. Fr. 101: — Med., δώματ' ἀ. fill their houses, E. Hel. 907.
3. fill up the numbers of a body, τὴν βουλήν Plu. Publ. 11, cf. X. Vect. 4.24; ἀ. τὴν συνηγορίαν fill the place of advocate (left vacant by another), Plu. Crass. 3, cf. 1 Corinthians 14:16.
4. pay in full, τὰς ὠνάς, of tax-farmers, PPar. 62.5.3 (ii B. C.): — in Med., get paid, receive, ἕως ἀνεπληρώσατο τὴν προῖκα D. 27.13.
5. use expletive particles, Demetr. Eloc. 58.
6. fulfil, ἀναπληροῦται ἡ προφητεία Matthew 13:14; of a task, perform, PPetr. 3p.104.
II Pass., to be restored to its former size or state, ἀνεπληρώθη ὁ ἥλιος, after an eclipse, Th. 2.28; ἀναπληρουμένης τῆς φύσεως being in process of restoration, Arist. EN 1153a2, cf. HA 548b18.
ἀναπληρόω, ἀναπλήρω; future ἀναπληρώσω; 1 aorist ἀνεπληρωσα; (present passive ἀναπληροῦμαι); (ἀνά to, up to, e. g. to fill a vessel up to the brim; up to the appointed measure or standard, German anfüllen); (from Euripides down);
1. to fill up, make full, e. g. a ditch (Strabo 5, 6, p. 223); hence, tropically, ἁμαρτίας, 1 Thessalonians 2:16 (to add what is still lacking to complete the number of their sins; on the meaning, cf. Genesis 15:16; Daniel 8:23; Daniel 9:24; Matthew 23:32; 2 Macc. 6:14). ἀναπληροῦται ἡ προφητεία the prophecy is fully satisfied, the event completely corresponds to it, Matthew 13:14. τόν νόμου to fulfil i. e. observe the law perfectly, Galatians 6:2 (the Epistle of Barnabas 21 [ET] ἀναπληραν πᾶσαν ἐντολήν); τόν τόπον τίνος to fill the place of anyone, 1 Corinthians 14:16 (after the rabbinical מְקום מָלֵא to hold the position of anyone (yet cf. Meyer ad loc.)).
2. to supply: τό ὑστέρημα, Philippians 2:30 (Colossians 1:24); 1 Corinthians 16:17 (they by their presence supplied your place in your absence); cf. Plato, symp., p. 188 e. ἀλλ' εἰ τί ἐξέλιπον, σόν ἔργον (namely, ἐστιν) ἀναπληρῶσαι. Cf. Winer's De verb. comp. etc. Part iii., p. 11f; (Ellicott on Philippians, the passage cited, or Meyer on Galatians, the passage cited Compare: ἀνταναπληρόω, προσαναπληρόω).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
ἀνα -πληρόω , -ῶ ,
[in LXX chiefly for H4390, Leviticus 12:6, al.; also H7999 (Genesis 15:16, 1 Kings 7:51, Isaiah 60:20), etc.;]
1. to fill up, make full (in Papyri of completing contracts and making up rent; cf. MM, VGT, s.v.): τόπον , take one's place (cf. Heb. H4725 H7999), 1 Corinthians 14:16; άμαρτίας , complete the number, 1 Thessalonians 2:16; τ . νόμον , observe perfectly, Galatians 6:2; pass., προφητεία , fulfilled, Matthew 13:14.
2. to supply: τό ὑστέρημα , 1 Corinthians 16:17, Philippians 2:30 (Cremer, 838).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
OGIS 56.46 (B.C. 238) ὅπως ἅπαντες εἰδῶσιν διότι τὸ ἐνλεῖπον πρότερον (as to the calendar) διωρθῶσθαι καὶ ἀναπεπληρῶσθαι συμβέβηκεν διὰ τῶν Εὐεργετῶν θεῶν : the first word describes correction, the second intercalation. On P Par 62v. 3 (ii/B.C.) τοῖς δ᾽ ἀναπληρώσουσιν τὰς ὠν ̣ὰς δοθήσεται ὀψώνια, ἐάνπερ ἐκπληρώσουσιν κτλ., ";those who complete the contracts,"; see Wilcken Ostr. i. p. 532f., who explains the ὀψώνια (against Grenfell) as a commission of 10%. The noun occurs in P Lond 890.4 (B.C. 6) (=III. p. 168) εἰς ̣ α ̣̓ν ̣α ̣π ̣λήρωσιν τιμῆς, and the verb in Syll 510.62 (ii/B.C.) τὸ γενόμενον διάπτωμα ἀναπληρούτωσαν : cf. P Petr III. 54 (a) (3).4 (Philadelphus) ἀναπληρούτωσα [ν ], but with a hiatus both before and after. In P Lille I. 8.14 (iii/B.C.) a petitioner demands the restoration of certain cattle that had been taken from him, that he may ";make up"; his rent—ὅ ]πως δύνωμαι ἀναπληροῦν τὰ ἐ ̣[κ ]φόρια τῆς γῆς. P Giss I. 48.30 (A.D. 203) ἵν᾽ εἰδῆτε καὶ ἕκαστος τὰ ἵδια μέρη ἀναπληρώσει seems from the context to have the same meaning (";pay";), though a more general sense is also possible. The same formula is found in Chrest. I. 52.8 (A.D. 194). The meaning ";fulfil"; may be seen in P Oxy VIII. 1121.11 (A.D. 295) οὐκ ἐπαυσάμην τὰ πρέποντα γείνεσθαι ύπὸ τέκνων γονεῦσι ἀναπληροῦσα.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.