Partner with StudyLight.org as God uses us to make a difference for those displaced by Russia's war on Ukraine.Click to donate today!
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) (שפה , sāphāh , "lip," "edge"): "By the bank of the Jordan" (2 Kings 2:13 ); "Upon the bank of the river were very many trees" (Ezekiel 47:7 , Ezekiel 47:12 ).
(2) (גּדה , gādhāh , "cuttings"): Always of banks overflowed (Joshua 3:15; Joshua 4:18; Isaiah 8:7 ), as also
(3) (גּדיה , gidhyāh , 1 Chronicles 12:15 ).
(4) (סללה , sōlelāh , "mound," "rampart"): "Cast up a bank against the city" (2 Samuel 20:15 , the English Revised Version "mount," the American Standard Revised Version "mound"; compare 2 Kings 19:32; Isaiah 37:33 ). "Banks of sweet herbs" (Song of Solomon 5:13 ); "the marginal rendering is the right one, 'towers of perfumes,' i.e. plants with fragrant leaves and flowers trained on trellis-work" (Speaker's Commentary in the place cited.).
(5) ((χάραξ , chárax , "a stake," "entrenchment"): "Thine enemies shall cast up a bank about thee" (Luke 19:43 the King James Version "trench"). It is probably a military term and stands for a "palisade" (so the Revised Version, margin), i.e. probably an embankment of stakes strengthened with branches and earth, with a ditch behind it, used by the besiegers as a protection against arrows or attacking parties (Latin vallum ), such, no doubt, as was employed by Titus in the siege of Jerusalem, 70 ad (Josephus, BJ , V, vi, 2).
(6) BANK; BANKING (which see).
These files are public domain and were generously provided by the folks at WordSearch Software.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. Entry for 'Bank'. International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/isb/b/bank.html. 1915.