the First Week of Advent
free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #8505 - תָּכַן
1) to regulate, measure, estimate, ponder, balance, make even, level, weigh, be equal, be weighed out, test, prove
1a) (Qal) estimate (participle)
1b1) to be estimated
1b2) to be made even or right, be adjusted to the standard
1c) (Piel) to weigh out, mete out
1d1) to be weighed out, be measured out
1d2) measured out (participle)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Participle estimate, figurative: ׳וְתֹכֵן רוּחוֺת י Proverbs 16:2, so (לִבּוֺת) Proverbs 21:2; Proverbs 24:12.
Niph`al 1. Perfect 3 plural נִתְכְּנוּ עֲלִלוֺת [לוֺ] וְלֹא 1 Samuel 2:3 by him (׳י) are actions estimated
2 Imperfect, be adjusted to the standard, i.e. right, equitable: subject דֶרֶח (of ׳י and of Israel), 3 masculine singular יִתָּכֵן Ezekiel 18:25 (twice in verse); Ezekiel 18:29 (twice in verse); Ezekiel 33:17 (twice in verse); Ezekiel 33:20; 3 masculine plural יִתָּֽכְנוּ Ezekiel 18:29, יִתָּכֵ֑נוּ Ezekiel 18:25.
Pi`el Perfect 3 masculine singular: mete out, מַיִם תִּכֵּן בְּמִדָּה Job 28:25; ׳וְשָׁמַיִם בַּזֶּרֶת ת Isaiah 40:12 ("" מדד, כול); ׳אֶתרֿוּחַ י׳מִי ת Isaiah 40:13 (see
Qal; read possibly הֵבִין or הֵכִין); 1 singular תִּכַּ֫נְתִּי עַמּוּדֶיהָ Psalm 75:4 I regulate (or adjust) her pillars (i.e. of earth).
Pu`al Participle הַכֶּסֶף הַמְּתֻכָּן 2 Kings 12:12 the silver which was measured out.
(1) pr. to make even, to level (kindred to תָּקַן). See Niphal.
(2) to poise, to weigh (from the equilibrium of the balance); metaph. to prove, try, examine, Proverbs 16:2, תֹּכֵן רוּחוֹת יְהֹוָה “Jehovah proves the spirits;” Proverbs 21:2, 24:12.
Niphal, prop. to be levelled, made even, as a way; figuratively, to be right, as a course of acting (compare יָשַׁר), Ezekiel 18:25, 29 Ezekiel 18:29, 33:17, 20 Ezekiel 33:20; 1 Samuel 2:3. Compare תָּכַן.
(1) to weigh, e.g. waters, Job 28:25 hence to prove, to examine Isaiah 40:13.
(2) to measure, Isaiah 40:12, “who hath measured heaven with a span?” in the other member there is מָדָד, שָׁקַל.
(3) to set up, to fix, by a level, Psalms 75:4.
Pual, part. to be weighed out (money), 2 Kings 12:12.
Derivatives, תֹּכֶן, תָּכְנִית, מַתְכֹּנֶת.