the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #7135 - קָרָה
1434) rq (קר QR) AC: Call CO: Meeting AB: Event: The pictograph q is a picture of the sun at the horizon and the gathering of the light, the r is a picture of the head of a man. Combined these mean "gather the men". The meeting or bringing together of people or objects by arrangement, accident or purchase. (eng: occur; call - with the exchange of the l and r)
V) arq (קרא QRA) - I. Call:To call or call out, to call a name or give a name. [Hebrew and Aramaic] II. Meet:To come together to meet. Also a chance encounter. III. Read:To read a scroll in the presence of those called to a meeting. KJV (883): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Pual) call, cry, read, proclaim, name, guest, invite, gave, renown, bidden, preach, read, cry, call, befall, encounter, chance, happen, met, fall, meet, against, come, help, seek - Strongs: H7121 (קָרָא), H7122 (קָרָא), H7123 (קְרָא), H7125 (קִרְאָה)
Nm) rqi (יקר YQR) - I. Precious:Something of value. [Hebrew and Aramaic] II. Value:Something counted as valuable. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (60): precious, costly, excellent, brightness, clear, fat, reputation, honourable, glory, honour, precious, price - Strongs: H3366 (יְקָר), H3367 (יְקָר), H3368 (יָקָר)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
קָרָה noun feminine id.; — absolute ׳בְּיוֺם ק Nahum 3:17 a day of coldness, cold day, so Proverbs 25:20; ׳ק alone, cold of night Job 24:7; in General, due to winds Job 37:9 (מִמְּזָרִים see זרה
Pi`el; yet Voigt Bu, attractively, מִמְּזָוִים (compare Psalm 144:13) out of storehouses ["" חֶדֶר]); לִפְנֵי קָרָתוֺ מִי יַעֲמֹד Psalm 147:17, + plural Zechariah 14:6 (read וְקָרוֺת, see יָקָר).
קָרָה f. (from the root קָרַר) cold, Proverbs 25:20.
קָרָה fut. יִקְרֶה, apoc. יִקֶר i.q. קָרָא No. II
(I) to meet, to go to meet any one, in a hostile sense, followed by an acc., Deuteronomy 25:18 see Niphal.
(2) to happen, to befall, Isaiah 41:22 followed by an acc. of pers., Genesis 44:29; 1 Samuel 28:10; Esther 4:7, 6:13 Ecclesiastes 2:14, 9:11 followed by לְ Daniel 10:14; Ruth 2:3, וַיִּקֶר מִקְרֶהָ חֶלְקַת הַשָּׂדֶה לְבֹעַז “and her chance happened (ein ihr günftiger Zufall wollte) that it was the field of Boaz.”
(1) to meet, to be made to meet, Numbers 23:15 followed by עַל (like the Germ. auf jem. ftoßen), Exodus 3:18 (compare 5:3 ), followed by אֶל Numbers 23:4, 16 Numbers 23:16 followed by לִקְרַאת verse Numbers 23:3.
(2) to be by chance, to happen, 2 Samuel 1:6. Compare קָרָא Niphal.
Piel קֵרָה to lay beams or joists, prop. to make the beams to meet one another (compare קוֹרָה a beam), 2 Chronicles 34:11; Nehemiah 2:8, 3:3, hence to frame, to build, Psalms 104:3.
(1) to cause to meet, followed by לִפְנֵי Genesis 27:20, 24:12, הַקְרֵה־נָא לְפָנַי הַיּוֹם “cause to happen to me this day” (what I seek).
(2) to make opportune, i.e. to choose for one’s self what is opportune, convenient, Numbers 35:11.
Derivatives, קָרֶה, קוֹרָה, קְרִי, קִרְיָה, קֶרֶת, מִקְרֶה, מְקָרֶה, and the pr.n. קַרְתָּה, קַרְתָּן, קְרִיּוֹת.