Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #69 - אֶבֶן
1a) a (the) stone
1b) stone, material of idols and buildings
1037) nb (בנ BN) AC: Build CO: Tent panel AB: Intelligence: The pictograph b is a picture of the tent. The n is a picture of a sprouting seed and represents continuity as the seed continues the next generation. The combined meaning of these letters mean “the continuing of the house”. The tent was constructed of woven goat hair. Over time the sun bleaches and weakens the goat hair necessitating their continual replacement. Each year the women make a new panel, approximately3feet wide and the length of the tent. The old panel is removed (being recycled into a wall or floor) and the new strip is added to the tent. Since the tent is only replaced one small piece at a time the tent essentially lasts forever. (eng: beam - a component of construction with an exchange for the m and n; between - with the t added)
A) nb (בנ BN) AC: ? CO: Tent Panel AB: ?: There are many similarities between building a tent out of goat hair panels and the building of a house out of sons (The idea of building a house with sons can be seen in ge303) . Just as the tent panels are added to continue the tent, sons are born to the family to continue the family line. Just as the tent is continually being renewed with new panels, the family is continually being renewed with new sons.
Nm) nb (בנ BN) - Son: One who continues the family line. [Hebrew and Aramaic; Transforms to rbwhen used in the possessive] KJV (4925): son, children, old, first, man, young, stranger, people - Strongs: H1121 (בֵּן), H1123 (בֵּן), H1247 (בַּר)
Nf2 ) tnb (בנת BNT) - Daughter: Also a village that resides outside of the city walls as the daughter of the city. [df: tb] KJV (588): daughter, town, village, first, apple, branches, children, company, eye, old - Strongs: H1323 (בַּת)
im ) nbt (תבנ TBN) - Straw: When more permanent structures were built they were constructed of stones and bricks made of clay and straw, replacing the tent panels as the main component of construction for dwellings. KJV (17): straw, stubble, chaff - Strongs: H8401 (תֶּבֶן)
aim) nbtm (מתבנ MTBN) - Straw: When more permanent structures were built they were constructed of stones and bricks, made of clay and straw, replacing the tent panels as the main component of construction for dwellings. KJV (1): straw - Strongs: H4963 (מַתְבֵּן)
V) enb (בנה BNH) - Build: To build or construct a building, home or family. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (398): (vf: Paal, Niphal) build, build up, builder, repair, set up, building, make, children - Strongs: H1124 (בְּנָא), H1129 (בָּנָה)
J) nfb (בונ BWN) AC: Plan CO: ? AB: Intelligence: The skill of the mind and hands to build. Before the tent is constructed the location and orientation must be carefully considered according to weather, view and size. The planning and building of a house, structure or family.
M) nib (בינ BYN) AC: Plan CO: ? AB: Understand: The tent was usually divided into two parts, one for the females and the other for the male. The wall makes a distinction between the two sides. Understanding as the ability to discern between two or more things.
V) nib (בינ BYN) - Understand: KJV (170): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil) understand, cunning, skilful, teacher, taught, consider, perceive, wise, viewed, discern, prudent, consider - Strongs: H995 (בִּין)
Nm) nib (בינ BYN) - Between: As the wall is between the two sides of the tent. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (36): between, among, asunder, betwixt, within, out of, from - Strongs: H996 (בַּיִן), H997 (בֵּין), H1143 (בֵּנַיִם)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
אֶבֶן with suff. אַבְנוֹ pl. אֲבָנִים, אַבְנֵי, (commonly fem. and so Job 28:2, but masc. 1 Samuel 17:40).
(1) a stone of any kind, whether rough or polished, very large or very small. Collect. stones, Genesis 11:3. Used of the foundation stone of a house, Isaiah 28:16 of vessels of stone, Exodus 7:19 Syr. ܙܰܒܢܳܙ id., but of rare occurrence. Eth. እብን፡ Metaph. 1 Samuel 25:37, “and he became a stone” stiff as a stone. לֵב הָאֶבֶן “a stony (i.e. hard) heart,” Ezekiel 11:19, 36:26 used also of a bold and intrepid mind, Job 41:16, אֶבֶן בָּרָד “hail stone;” Isaiah 30:30 whence Joshua 10:11, אֲבָנִים גְּדֹלוֹת is used of great hailstones, called a little below אַבְנֵי הַבָּרָד.
(2) κατʼ ἐξοχὴν, a precious stone, a gem, Exodus 28:9, sqq. 35:27 more fully אֶבֶן חֵפֶץ, Isaiah 54:12 אֶבֶן חֵן, Proverbs 17:8 אֶבֶן יְקָרָה, Ezekiel 28:13, which latter is also used of stones for building, as of marble, 1 Kings 10:2, 11 1 Kings 10:11.
(3) stone ore, ore (Erzftein), Job 28:2. In Arabic they say in the dual حَجَرَتَانِ, “both stones,” of gold and silver.
(4) rock, Genesis 49:24, אֶבֶן יִשְׂרָאֵל “the rock of Israel,” i.e. Jehovah; comp. צוּר.
(5) a weight of the balance (from stones having anciently been used, as they still are in the East, for weights; compare Germ. Stein, a large weight used especially in weighing wool [so also the English stone]); this word is used even when the weight was not made of stone; אֶבֶן וָאֶבֶן “divers weights,” Deuteronomy 25:13 אַבְנֵי כִיס weights carried in a bag, Proverbs 16:11; Zechariah 5:8, אֶבֶן הָעוֹפֶרֶת “a weight of lead,” Zechariah 4:10 אֶבֶן הַבְּדִיל also a plummet, Isaiah 34:11 “He will stretch over it the line of wasting (וְאַבְנֵי בּהוּ) and the plummet of desolation,” i.e. all shall be destroyed as if by rule and line. (As to the thing, comp. Amos 7:8.)
(6) Sometimes stones serve to designate places geographically; thus
(a) אֶבֶן עֵזֶר “stone of help” [Eben-ezer], placed at Mizpeh by Samuel, 1 Samuel 4:1, 5:1 7:12.
(b) אֶבֶן הָאֶזֶל “stone of departure,” 1 Samuel 20:19 compare זֹחֶלֶת.
אֶבֶן emphat. st. אַבְנָא Ch. id. Daniel 2:34, 35.
the Week of Proper 9 / Ordinary 14