the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to learn more!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6118 - עֵקֶב
1) consequence (noun masculine)
1b) consequence, gain, reward
2) as a consequence, because, consequently (adverb)
3) as a consequence of, that, because (conjunction)
Nm) bqo (אהקב AhQB) - I. Heel:What is restrained when taking a step forward. II. Because:In the sense of being on the heel of something else. KJV (29): heel, footstep, horsehoof, at last, step, liers, because, reward, end, by, for, if - Strongs: H6118 (עֵקֶב), H6119 (עִקְּבָה), H6120 (עָקֵב)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
adverb accusative as a consequence of, because (that) also reward, end (see below עָקַב; and cf, heel figurative consequence, result); —
1 Isaiah 5:23 מַצְדִּיקֵי רָשָׁעעֵקֶב שֹׁחַד (adverb accusative) in consequence of a bribe. Psalm 40:16 (= Psalm 70:4) על עֵקֶב בָּשְׁתָּם (pleon.) according to the consequence of their shame, i.e. in consequence of the disgrace falling upon them. Hence as
conjunctionעֵקֶב אֲשֶׁר as a consequence of (the fact) that, because, Genesis 22:18 אֲשֶׁר שָׁמַעְתָּ׳בְּקֹלִי ע Genesis 26:5; 2 Samuel 12:6; so עֵקֶב כִּי 2 Samuel 12:10; Amos 4:12 כִּי זאת אעשׂה לך׳ע; עֵקֶב alone, Numbers 14:24, and (followed by imperfect) Deuteronomy 7:12 תשׁמעון׳ע in consequence of your hearkening, etc., Deuteronomy 8:20.
2 consequence = gain, reward, Psalm 19:12 בְּשָׁמְרָם עֵקֶב רָב, Proverbs 22:4 ׳עשֶׁר וגו׳עֵקֶב עֲנָוָה (וְ)יִרְאַת י.
3 end (of time), adverb accusative, Psalm 119:33 ׳וְאֶצֳּרֶנָּה ע to the end, Psalm 119:112 לְעוֺלָם׳ע (compare Sirach 16:3; ᵑ7עִקְבָּא (rare)).
(1) the end, the latter part of anything (Arab. عُقْبُ); also as an adv. unto the end, continually, Psalms 119:33, 112 Psalms 119:112.
(2) wages, reward, as if the end, the result of labour; compare λοισθήϊα, reward, from λοῖσθος, last. Psalms 19:12; Proverbs 22:4. And so עַל־עֵקֶב Psal. 40:16 70:4 and עֵקֶב Isaiah 5:23, in reward of, i.e. on account of; and as a conj. because that, because, Numbers 14:24; Deuteronomy 7:12 fully עֵקֶב אֲשֶׁר Genesis 26:5, and עֵקֶב כִּי Amos 4:12.