Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2535 - חַמָּה
1) sun, heat of the sun, heat
1174) mh (ההמ HhM) AC: Heat CO: Cheese AB: ?: The pictograph h is a picture of a wall meaning "to separate". The m is a picture of water. Combined these mean "separate water". Cheese was made by placing milk in a bag made out of an animal skin. The bag was hung out in the sun and pushed back and forth. The skin of the bag contained an enzyme that when heated and shaken caused the milk to sour and separate into its two parts, fat (curds or cheese) and water (whey) . The whey could be drunk and the curds eaten or stored for future consumption.
Nf1) emh (ההמה HhMH) - I. Sun:The source of heat. II. Fury:An intense heat from anger. KJV (132): sun, heat, fury, wrath, poison, displeasure, rage, anger, bottle - Strongs: H2528 (חֱמָא), H2534 (חֵמָה), H2535 (חַמָּה)
V) mhi (יההמ YHhM) - Heat: Natural body heat as well as the time of heat when animals mate. Conception from an animals heat or through the heat of passion. KJV (10): (vf: Paal, Piel) conceive, warm, hot, heat - Strongs: H3179 (יָחַם)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
חַמָּה f. (from the root חָמַם)
(1) heat, of the sun, Psalms 19:7.
(2) poetically for the sun itself, Job 30:28; Song of Solomon 6:10; Isaiah 30:26. (So often in the Mishnah.)
I. חֵמָה f. constr. חֲמַת (for יְחֵמָה from the root יָחַם),
(1) warmth [“sc. from wine, Hosea 7:5 ”], anger (Arab. حِمْيَةُ, حُمَّةُ), Genesis 27:44; Jeremiah 6:11. הַחֵמָה כּוֹס הַיַּיִן Jeremiah 25:15, and כּוֹס הַחֵמָה Isaiah 51:17, the cup of wrath of which Jehovah makes the nations drink, comp. Revelation 16:19 and Job 21:20, “let him drink of the wrath of the Almighty.”
(2) poison (as that which burns the bowels), Deuteronomy 32:24; Psalms 58:5. Arab. حُمَةُ poison of a scorpion. Eth. ሐምት፡ poison.
II. חֵמָה i.q. חֶמְאָה (with the radical א omitted), f. milk, Job 29:6.
the Week of Proper 14 / Ordinary 19