Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1214 - בָּצַע
1) to cut off, break off, gain by unrighteous violence, get, finish, be covetous, be greedy
1a1) to cut off
1a2) to stop
1a3) to gain wrongfully or by violence
1b1) to cut off, sever
1b2) to finish, complete, accomplish
1b3) to violently make gain of
V) oyb (בתסאה BTsAh) - I. Cut:To cut something off to destroy it. II. Profit:To take something by force or greed. KJV (16): (vf: Paal, Piel) cut off, gained, given, greedy, covet, finish, wound - Strongs: H1214 (בָּצַע)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
בָּצַע fut. יִבִצַע
(1) to cutin pieces, to break. (Ch. בְּצַע to cut, to divide as bread; Syriac ܒܨܰܥ to break; Arab. بضع to cut, to cleave, to cut off; بِضْعُ, بَضْعَةُ part, piece. Kindred is פָּצַע to wound, comp. under בָּצַר.) Amos 9:1, “smite the capitals of the columns, וּבְּצַעַם בְּרֹאשׁ כֻּלָּם and break them in pieces, (so that they may fall) upon the heads of all.” בְּצַעַם for בְּצָעֵם. Intrans. to be wounded, Joel 2:8, of locusts [?], “they rush among the swords, לֹא יִבְצָעוּ they shall not be wounded.” This is better than, “they do not break off,” sc. their course.
(2) to tear in pieces, to spoil, pr. used of enemies, Habakkuk 2:9; Psalms 10:3 hence the phrase, בָּצַע בֶּצַע “to get gain,” is applied to private individuals intent on unjust gain, and who despoil others; comp. Germ. Geld fchneiden. Part. בֹּצֵעַ בֶּצַע Proverbs 1:19, 15:27 Jeremiah 6:13, 8:10. Inf. Ezekiel 22:27. Comp. גָּזַל and A. Schult. Opp. Min. page 61.
Piel בִּצַּע fut. יְבַצַּע
(1) to cut off; Isaiah 38:12, מִדַּלָּה יְבַצְּעֵנִי “he (God) cutteth me off from the thrum;” a metaphor taken from a weaver who cuts off the finished web from the thrum, Job 6:9.
(2) i.q. Kal No. 2, to tear in pieces, to spoil any one, Ezekiel 22:12.
(3) to perfect, complete, finish, e.g. the temple, Zechariah 4:9 used of God, who executes his work, i.e. judgments and punishments on the wicked, Isaiah 10:12 fulfils a promise, Lamentations 2:17. Hence
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20