the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #4165 - ποιμαίνω
- to feed, to tend a flock, keep sheep
- to rule, govern
- of rulers
- to furnish pasture for food
- to nourish
- to cherish one's body, to serve the body
- to supply the requisites for the soul's need
- to rule, govern
Ep. impf. ποιμαίνεσκεν Od. 9.188: ( ποιμήν ): —
herd, tend, μῆλα Od. l.c.; ἄρνας Hes. Th. 23; ποίμνας E. Cyc. 26, A.R. 2.1004; πρόβατα v.l. in Pl. R. 345c; ποιμαίνειν ἐπ' ὄεσσι to be shepherd over sheep, Il. 6.25, 11.106: abs., act as shepherd, tend flocks, Lys. 20.11, Pl. Tht. 174d, Theoc. 11.65; ἐν τοῖς ἄλσεσιν μὴ π. SIG 986.3 (Chios, v/iv B.C. ): — Pass., to be herded, roam the pastures, of flocks, Il. 11.245, E. Alc. 579 (lyr.): metaph., ἀτρεκέων ποιμαίνεται ἔθνος ὀνείρων Mosch. 2.5 (unless Med., with ὕπνος (l. 3 ) as subject).
2. πᾶς πεποίμανται τόπος every country has been traversed (as by a shepherd or flocks of sheep), A. Eu. 249 . II metaph., tend, cherish, ζωᾶς ἄωτον Pi. I. 5(4).12; ἱκέτην A. Eu. 91; τὸ σῶμα Pl. Ly. 209a; θεσμόν AP 12.99 .
2. guide, govern, στρατόν E. Fr. 744; μάλα καὶ κατόπιν ἡμᾶς ἐποίμαινον αὖραι Luc. Amos 6:1-14 .
3. soothe, beguile, ἔρωτα π. Theoc. 11.80; ὀνομάτων κομψεύμασι τοὺς ἀμαθεῖς π. Luc. Am. 54: hence, generally, deceive, E. Hipp. 153 (lyr., cod. M and Sch. for πημαίνει ).
4. εἴδωλα ἃ ποιμαίνουσιν images which they send flocking, i.e. represent as flocking, Plu. 2.420b.
ποιμαίνω; future ποιμανῶ; 1 aorist imperative 2 person plural ποιμάνατε (1 Peter 5:2); (ποιμήν, which see); from Homer down; the Sept. for רָעָה; to feed, to tend a flock, keep sheep;
b. tropically, α. to rule, govern: of rulers, τινα, Matthew 2:6; Revelation 2:27; Revelation 12:5; Revelation 19:15 (2 Samuel 5:2; Micah 5:6 (
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
(< ποιμήν ),
[in LXX chiefly for H7462;]
to act as shepherd, tend flocks: Luke 17:7; c. acc, ποιμνην , 1 Corinthians 9:7. Metaph., to tend, shepherd, govern: c. acc, Matthew 2:6 (LXX), John 21:16, Acts 20:28, 1 Peter 5:2, Judges 1:12, Revelation 2:27; Revelation 7:17; Revelation 12:5; Revelation 19:15.†
SYN.: βόσκω G1006, q.v.
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
in its only NT occurrence (Hebrews 11:40) is best rendered by ";provide"; (AV, RV) : for the use of the mid. see Blass-Debrunner § 316. 1, and cf. the act. in the sepulchral inscr. Kaibel 326, in which a man states that he is providing a tomb for himself and his family–
ε ]ὖ εἰδὼς κληρονόμων τὴν ἐπιλησμοσύνην
καὶ κοινοῦ θανάτου μνημόσυνον προβλέπων.
In the LXX the verb is confined to Psa. 36꞉13 [MT Psalms 37:13] in the sense ";foresee."; It is found quater in Vett. Val.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.